History
Site of Former Settlement of Richardson's Bluff
Homesite of Benjamin Richardson (1775?-1848?), an 1830 de Zavala colony settler. With his sons, Richardson operated a ferry that was of great service, especially in 1836 Runaway Scrape, aiding civilians as they fled toward the U.S. in fear of Santa Anna. Place later was renamed Ford's Bluff, for family with millsite here in 1852.
History
Site of J.H. Rowe School
Formal public education for African American students in the Jasper area dates to 1875 and the formation of a school at nearby Cold Springs. It moved to a new campus in Jasper in 1924, the same year James Hoff Rowe came as administrator. Born in Panola County in 1876, Rowe attended Prairie View Normal and Industrial College (Prairie View A&M University) and Hampton Institute in Virginia.
History
Site of the Home of George Washington Smyth_Frances Grigsby Smyth
Site of the Home of George Washington Smyth (1803-1866) and his wife Frances Grigsby Smyth (1809-1888). George Washington Smyth signed the Texas Declaration of Independence, assisted in drafting the constitution, commissioner to run boundary between Texas and the United States, member of the Texas Congress, commissioner of the General Land Office, member of the United States Congress, delegate to…
History
Site of the Town of Bevilport
Important river navigation point, 1830-1860. Established by John Bevil in whose honor the municipality was first named in 1834 with Bevilport as seat of justice. A mail station in 1835. County seat of Jasper County, 1836-1837. Incorporated June 5, 1837. A business and social center until the Civil War. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Site of the Town of Zavala
Established upon land included in the empresario grant in 1829 to Lorenzo de Zavala in whose honor it was named * Early boat landing * Mail and stage station * Incorporated in 1838 * A post office until the Civil War * Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Stephen Williams
(May 9, 1760- ca. 1839) Stephen Williams was born in North Carolina and was the fourth child of blacksmith Richard Williams, Jr. In 1778, he enlisted for the first of what would be many times in the armed forces. Enlisting three times in the United States Army, Williams fought in Revolutionary War battles including Briar Creek, Camden, and Eutaw Springs.
History
Stephen Williams, Sr.
Born in North Carolina 1764. Fought at Camden, Brier Creek and Eutaw Springs in the Revolutionary War and the capture of San Antonio, 1835 in the Texas Revolution. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Architecture
Waggoner-Scarborough Home
Salesman J. T. Waggoner, Jr. (1860-1942) and his wife Sadie (Scarborough) (1870-1955) built this residence in 1927. It is closely associated with Mrs. Waggoner, a civic leader and longtime Jasper County school teacher affectionately known as "Miss Sadie." It was later owned by her brother, local businessman Philip Edgar Scarborough (1883-1965).
History
Wiess Bluff
End of tidewater navigation of Neches River; called Grant's Bluff in 1840, when Niles F. Smith laid out town and Simon Wiess (1800-68) built wharf and warehouses to ship area products downriver. Post office, established in 1847 at Pattillo's, in Jefferson County, was moved here July 21, 1853. Area flourished about 1885, when J. G. Smyth & Co. built tram roads into forest and began to cut timber.
History
Zion Hill Missionary Baptist Church and Cemetery
Local tradition and Baptist church records indicate that the Zion Hill Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1852 with the Rev. John Bean as first pastor. The first church building on this site is thought to have been a small log house. On August 15, 1853, Aurin Goodgame Horn donated 3 acres including the graveyard to the Zion Hill Baptist Church.