Entertainment & Sports
Alamo Wall and Bulldog Stadium
Jasper Bulldog Stadium, established circa 1922, served as the centerpiece for the town's athletic competitions, becoming ever more popular over the years. By 1936, the bleachers were being filled at every game and rivalries were heating up between the teams that played one another year after year. The town had quickly outgrown its stadium.
Architecture
Beaty-Orton House
Twice the property of Beaty family members, this lot was purchased by Thomas Beaty in 1843 and sold in 1851. His grandson, John T. Beaty (1855-1937), acquired the site again in 1888 and erected this 2-story Victorian residence of native pine. A lawyer and a former Jasper County sheriff, Beaty served three terms as state senator from the 14th District, 1901-1906.
History
Bevilport
Important river shipping and trading point; was made seat of Bevil municipality, 1834. Named for John Bevil, Texas Ranger, a delegate (1835) to Consultation on Texas Independence, Chief Justice of Jasper County (1839), farmer. On Angelina River, Bevilport shipped cotton, hides and other East Texas products to markets in New Orleans.
Architecture
Bridges House
Built 1838-40 by a settler from North Carolina, Ruffin C. Turner. Lumber throughout was pit-sawn, hand-planed. Frontier design, with hall enclosed. Original glass in fanlight and entry panels. Largest red cedar tree in U. S. stands in the yard. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966
History
Byerlys Camp Ground Cemetery
Adam Byerly migrated to Texas from South Carolina in 1833 with his father and two younger brothers. He received a Mexican land grant of one-quarter league in 1835. Shortly afterward, he invited the Rev. Henry Stephenson, early Methodist missionary, to preach under a brush arbor on his property and initiated the first of many camp meetings at this site.
History
Davis Cemetery
This cemetery was established within the original 1280-acre land grant conveyed to Elizabeth Davis in 1841. Elizabeth, believed to be of Indian heritage, brought her family of three children, James R., Malinda C., and Martha, from Georgia and settled in this area of Jasper County in 1836.
History
Dixie Freedom Colony
Freedom colonies were independent communities built by formerly enslaved African Americans after Emancipation in 1865. Such settlements were desirable in the post-Civil War South, where African Americans were treated as lesser citizens.
History
Ebenezer Cemetery
Begun in 1860 as a family graveyard, the earliest burial in this cemetery is that of Martin H. Dean, infant son of William P. M. and Mary Ann Dean. Land for the cemetery and Ebenezer Methodist Church was given by the Deans to the community in 1861.
History
First Baptist Church of Buna
In 1892, in southern Jasper County, Beaumont Lumber Company established a logging camp that developed into a town, with the Buna post office opening the following year. The former logging camp survived after timber ran out and many jobs and businesses stayed, requiring a place for families to worship.
History
Friendship Cemetery
Joseph Andrew Jackson Sheffield (1837-1920), his wife Rebecca (1844-1922), and their fourteen children came to this area of Jasper County from Georgia in 1885. They settled near here in an area known as Thickey community and established a large family farm. In 1899 they donated 1.5 acres of land to the community for church and school purposes.
History
Hamilton Cemetery
The Hamilton Cemetery site, also known as Muster Point, is located on the original townsite of Zavala. The town was founded in 1834 and named for Empresario Lorenzo de Zavala. Situated on land owned by Thomas B. Huling, many families were contracted into the municipality and encouraged to settle near the townsite.
History
Here Lived Dr. Stephen H. Everitt
Born in New York November 26, 1807 Came to Texas in 1835 Delegate to the Consultation 1835 Signed the Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836 Senator in the Congress Republic of Texas Oct. 3, 1836 to Dec. 9, 1840 Died July 12, 1844 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Homer Community Cemetery
Settlement of this area of Jasper County began in the 1830s. This cemetery, which served citizens in the Homer community, dates to 1865. The oldest documented grave is that of Jane Wilson Williams (1823-1865), one of ten citizens of the Republic of Texas known to be buried here.
History
Jasper "News-Boy"
(Published continuously since July 1865) Founded by Capt. Edward Irwin Kellie (1845-1928), a New Orleans newsboy who came to Texas 1859, and worked in a printshop in Galveston. After fighting in the Civil War, he set up shop here with old hand press of pre-war "East Texas Clarion" and "East Texian." Staff associates were Wallace Blake and T. H. Good. Style was blunt, homespun.
Architecture
Jasper County Courthouse
Jasper County was one of the original twenty-three counties created when the Republic of Texas was established in 1836 following the Texas Revolution. Bevil settlement, established by pioneer John Bevil about 1824, became the seat of government and was renamed Jasper in 1835 in honor of American Revolutionary War hero William Jasper.
Military
Jasper County, C. S. A.
Communication, transportation, supply and military center in Civil War Texas. Voted 315 to 25 in favor of secession. Crossed by Texas troops in the 1862-64 Louisiana campaigns to prevent split of the South and invasion of Texas. Confederate Army ran Houston-to-Alexandria, La., military horseback courier route through here.
History
Jasper Public Schools
Jasper Collegiate Institute, first local center for higher leaning, opened 1851; partially tax-supported, coeducational. First president was noted East Texas educator Marcus Montrose, graduate, Edinburgh University.
Entertainment & Sports
Jasper Steers
In a time of segregated activities including sports, logging contractor Elmer Simmons organized the Jasper Steers, an African American baseball team. Simmons bought all bleachers, lighting, dressing rooms and concession stands from a defunct Louisiana baseball team in the 1940s.
History
Kirbyville, Town of, Site of Town Lot Auction
(May 1, 1895) Named for John Henry Kirby, attorney, railroad builder, and timber, lumber, and oil king. With R. P. Allen, Kirby founded the town when their railroad-- Gulf, Beaumont, & Kansas City-- reached this point. Since 1904 city has also been terminus of the Jasper & Eastern Railroad. A major business, Kirby Lumber Co. Sawmill (acquired in 1903), burned in 1917.
History
Little Hope Cemetery
Located on land granted to pioneer settler Samuel Goode in 1838, this community graveyard began as a family cemetery following the death of Goode's wife Frances in 1844. Samuel was buried next to his wife in 1865, and theirs are among the unmarked graves here. the earliest marked graves, those of Annie Bell Walker and C. J. Wilson, date to 1884.
History
Magnolia Springs Cemetery
Originally known as Pinetucky, this community was first settled by Alexander and Sherod Wright, two brothers who arrived about 1824. The settlement was renamed Magnolia Springs when the post office opened in 1850. The earliest known interment in this community burial ground is that of Sherod Wright's wife Anna, who died on July 25, 1858, at the age of 60.
History
Norsworthy-Kellie Homestead, "Glorianna"
Jasper County pioneer Ehud Norsworthy purchased 405 acres of land at this site in 1859. With his wife, Sara, and children, he established a homestead which included a house, barn, smokehouse, well, tool shed, and outhouse. After Norsworthy's death in 1864, Sara married Confederate veteran Edwin Irwin Kellie, and they continued to live on the homestead with their family.
History
Olds Cemetery
Established as a family cemetery, Olds Cemetery is located on part of the original homestead property of David and Sally Dunn. David Dunn and Sally Rayburn were married in 1830 in Mississippi and had ten children before settling in Tyler county by 1860. Eventually, the family settled permanently in jasper county on Spring Hill Road by 1870.
History
Pinetucky
Name originally applied to widely scattered settlement astride Wiess Bluff-Jasper Road. First settlers, Alexander and Sherod Wright, came into area about 1824. Magnolia Springs Post Office opened at this site in 1850; within a few years the community had a store, church, and grist mill on Wright's (later Mill) Creek; a mill and tannery were on nearby Tanyard Branch. Texas Tram & Lumber Co.
Architecture
R. C. Doom House
Built 1856 by R. C. Doom, earlier a Republic of Texas customs agent. Ante-bellum style; 10' x 50' verandah. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965