History
Sulphur Springs Volunteer Fire Department and Fire Bell of 1889
Volunteer fire fighters, organized soon after Sulphur Springs was incorporated (1870), used a "bucket brigade" and hand-drawn equipment to control blazes before the city purchased a steam fire engine in 1888. To summon firemen, this 500-pound brass bell was bought in 1889 and hung in the tower of the engine house.
History
Sunny Point Cemetery
In September 1881, A.J. Weathers (Withers) deeded this property for cemetery and school purposes. The first known burial at Sunny Point Cemetery is that of Mary W. Brasher, who died in 1882. Her husband, E.H. Brasher is also buried here.
History
Townsite of Tarrant
Eldridge Hopkins, for whose family Hopkins County was named in 1846, donated this site for the county seat. Named for Gen. Edward H. Tarrant (1796-1858), Texas Ranger and Mexican war veteran, Tarrant Post Office was established in March 1847. A two-story frame courthouse was begun in 1851, but lack of funds delayed completion for two years.