Architecture
Ashcroft House
Charles Franklin (1880-1946) and Ruth (Lynch) Ashcroft (1895-1979) were civic and social Leaders in Sulphur Springs. Charles' father, B. F. Ashcroft, started the city's first electric company, later sold by his estate to Texas Power & Light. Charles was also director and vice-president of the Sulphur Springs State Bank, co-owner (with H.C.
Architecture
Atkins House
Irish native Sarah Hamilton Crouch and her husband, James Crouch, lived in Texas before the Civil War. After their divorce in 1868 she became a prominent businesswoman in Sulphur Springs. She married Joseph Atkins in 1873 and had this house built in the late 1870s. Believed to be the first brick structure in town, it was designed in a unique four-point configuration.
History
Black Oak Baptist Church
Named for the black oak trees surrounding it, the Black Oak community was settled in the 1850s by recipients of government land grants. By 1854 a post office had been established, and a log building had been constructed for use as a community church and school. In its early years, Black Oak had a gin, hardwood sawmill, and grocery store. In 1856 Elders John J. D.
History
City National Bank
The oldest banking institution in Sulphur Springs, City National Bank was organized in 1889. The first board of directors included J. J. Dabbs, John T. Hargrove, J. F. Carter, J. A. B. Putnam, W. B. Womack, W. A. Dabbs, and S. W. Summers. A two-story brick building was erected at this site on the town square. W. W. Jones, Sr., was a dominant figure in the bank.
History
Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A.
In the vicinity of Old Tarrant, south of here, the Civil War refugee family of Mrs. Amanda Stone, of Louisiana, was shown great kindness when rescued by Hopkins countians after a road accident. The Stones saw the Texans share the little they had, even cooking the last tough old farm hen, to feed them.
History
Cumby
The grove of black jack trees which gave this town its original name was near an Indian camping ground. The trees stood atop the highest point in present Hopkins County. An Indian trail that crossed the grove later became a major wagon freighting route. Black Jack Grove Post Office opened in 1848 in the home of John W. Matthews, the first postmaster. In 1851 D. W.
History
Early Sulphur Bluff
First known settlers in area were family of John Gregg. Their cemetery (2 mi. N) has marker dated 1837, from Republic of Texas era. Other early settlers were the brothers Hezekiah and Robert Hargrave, from Indiana. They built brush-roofed log homes (3 mi. N), on high bluff above Sulphur River, offering protection from Indians and providing abundant game.
History
Fairview Church and Cemetery
Kentucky native and cattleman Julian N. Kimberlin (1848-1932) donated five acres of land here in 1880 to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, for Grange hall, church, school, and burial purposes. The first recorded burial was that of Wilson B. Westerman in 1881.
History
First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs
Organized in 1852, this church had eight members with Samuel Davidson as the ruling elder. A sanctuary erected jointly by this congregation and the Cumberland Presbyterians on Connally Street burned in 1873. The membership constructed a frame building at this site in July 1882. The Rev. J. C. Crow became the first resident pastor in 1886, and W. P.
History
Forest Academy Cemetery
This cemetery was not formally set aside until 1858. But the land probably was used as a burial ground prior to that time. Settlement of the area began in 1847 when Thomas Madison and Elizabeth (Fanning) Ticer brought their family here. Thomas Ticer died one year later, but there is no record of his burial in the county. His wife was interred in this graveyard in 1879.
History
General W. H. King
(Star and Wreath) Home county of Texas Confederate. (1839-1910) Georgian. Moved to Texas 1861. Rose to rank of colonel, 18th Texas Infantry. Led regiment in Red River Campaign of 1863 to prevent split of South along Mississippi. Commanded the 18th in Red River Campaign 1864 to stop invasion of Texas. Wounded Mansfield, La. and made brigadier general.
History
Greenview Community and Cemetery
In 1839 the Rev. Green Weaver (1795-1863), a prosperous merchant and slave holder from Illinois and Iowa, settled here with his four sons. A Christian church minister, the Rev. Weaver performed marriages and visited sick neighbors. He married Nancy McCorry and built a two-room log cabin. An old wagon trail from Shreveport crossed their plantation.
History
Harmony Methodist Church and Cemetery
Local landowner Jesse Odom persuaded an itinerant preacher to hold a revival for settlers in this area in 1877 and again in 1878. A congregation was organized and in 1879 a sanctuary was erected here on one acre of land donated by Mr. Odom. The Rev. S. W. Jones served as first pastor. A cemetery also was established that year on an adjacent tract of land donated by Henry P. Barron.
Architecture
Hopkins County Courthouse
The third Hopkins County Courthouse, built in 1882, was destroyed on Feb. 11, 1894 by a fire that also burned the jail and several nearby structures. Plans were soon made for a new court building to be erected on this corner rather than in the middle of the block where the first edifice stood.
History
Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram
Deed records indidcate that a newspaper was being published in Hopkins County as early as 1854. It was known as the "Texas Star" and was located in Tarrant, which then served as county seat. In 1855, the printing presses were purchased by William Wortham, who moved the equipment to Bright Star (later Sulphur Springs) and founded a paper he called the "Independent Frontier.
History
Long Cemetery
Texas Rangers in the late 1830s camped on a hill west of present Cumby in a grove of black jack oak trees. Settlers established a community near them for protection and called the settlement Black Jack Grove. Later renamed Cumby, it grew into a trade center during the late 19th century. In the 1850s, James M.
History
Miller Grove Cemetery
This burial ground has served the Miller Grove community since it was settled prior to the 1846 formation of Hopkins County. Tradition holds that the James Snow Pippin family donated this land, which started as a family burial ground, for use as a community cemetery. However, the oldest known interments are for infant M.E. Garrett and Arthur M. Stewart, both dating to 1869.
History
Mt. Zion Churches and Cemetery
Mt. Zion Methodist Episcopal Church organized here before creation of Hopkins County, 1846. Also at Mt. Zion, 1849, Harmony Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized with 13 members, by the Rev. Anthony Travelstead. After years of worship in oak groves, brush arbors and homes, church edifice was built jointly 1861. Site given by David Findley, Nicholas Harlow. More land given 1904 by J. A.
History
Nelta Cemetery
In December 1842, a wagon train from Warrick County, Indiana arrived near here, led by two Hargrave brothers. Other families arrived in the following months, and the communities of Pleasant Hill and Sulphur Bluff were established near the Sulphur River. In 1878, Greenlief Neely deeded one acre to the Pleasant Hill school trustees for a combination schoolhouse and church open to all denominations.
History
Oakland Cumberland Presbyterian Church
After the Civil War (1861-65), during the turbulence of Reconstruction, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Rising Star, Alabama, was burned. Members W. A. (Willis) (d. 1920) and Nannie Stewart sought a place where they could worship as they pleased. They came to Hopkins County in 1882 with their seven children and ex-slaves, Abraham and Chloe.
History
Pine Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery
Organized in 1864 by J. G. L. Davis and a small group of charter members, this church has served its rural community for well over a century. This property, acquired in 1883, has been the site of several church buildings, the last constructed in 1954. The adjacent Pine Hill Cemetery, containing over 125 marked and unmarked graves, dates to at least 1873.
History
Richland Cemetery
Richland Cemetery Unmarked graves here may date to 1872, the year the Richland Baptist Church bought the site and the Richland School was established here. The earliest marked grave dates to 1878; two earlier ones, dated 1873 and 1876, are reinterments. Many veterans, including more than a dozen of the Civil War, are buried here.
History
Shooks Chapel Methodist Church
This church traces its history to 1886, when area settlers organized a congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The church was named for the Rev. W. A. Shook, who held the first revival here. The congregation met in a brush arbor or a nearby schoolhouse until a sanctuary was built on land donated by B. P. Joiner.
History
Site of the Union Stockade
The Reconstruction era which followed the Civil War (1861-65) was a time of unrest in texas. In this area a gang of outlaws whipped and killed blacks and harassed other citizens. On August 10, 1868, Capt. T. M. Tolman brought Federal troops here to restore order. Despite protests the army moved the county seat from Tarrant (4 mi. N) to Sulphur Springs.
History
Sulphur Springs Loan and Building Association
Chartered on August 13, 1890, the Sulphur Springs Loan and Building Association is the oldest surviving savings association in the state of Texas. Charter members of the association included local business leaders Phil H. Foscue, W. F. Henderson, T. F. Gafford, L.. H. Avinger, M. G. Miller, O. M. Pate, John D. Williams, S. D. Crittenden, and R. F. Blythe. T. F.