History
Glenn Cemetery
Glenn Cemetery, in Hood County, was established to serve residents of Bluff Dale, an Erath County community west of this site. Andrew Jackson Glenn, for whom the burial ground is named, donated land for cemetery use in 1897. There were already graves on the property by then, the earliest dating to 1867.
History
Gordon Home
Alonzo Peyton Gordon came to Granbury from Georgia in 1871. He taught school for a time before opening a mercantile store that grew into one of the largest in Hood County. His business was housed in a large stone building that he constructed on the Granbury Square. A cotton gin operator, Gordon also served as superintendent of the local school and in 1898 was elected to the Texas Legislature.
History
Granbury Cemetery
Granbury Cemetery Part of an original school land survey, this parcel was already known as "the cemetery lot" when deeded to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1885 for use as a public burial ground. A number of the stones here pre-date the 1866 founding of the city of Granbury, the earliest being that of John Edwards (1790-1853).
History
Granbury House
Martha Washington (Garrison) Stringfellow (1834-1914), a widow with three children, migrated to Hood County about 1871. To support her family, she operated a boarding house, known as "The Granbury House", at this location. In 1874 she married local builder Joseph W. Anderson (d. 1901), who probably erected this structure. Anderson was a stonemason and partner in a Lumber Mill.
History
Granbury Opera House
Pressed tin detailing decorates this stone structure, erected in 1886. Kerr's Opera House, which featured Vaudeville acts, dramatic productions, and musical programs, occupied the top floor until 1911. The lower floor housed various businesses, including a saloon, saddle and harness shop, and two grocery stores. Later the roof collapsed, and the building rapidly deteriorated.
Transport
Granbury Railroad Depot
Representative of early 20th century rural Texas train stations, this depot was constructed in 1914. It replaced an earlier station that had been built when the railroad came to Granbury in 1887. The depot features wide overhanging eaves and a red tile roof.
History
Grave of Elizabeth Crockett
Mrs. Elizabeth Crockett, wife of David Crockett, born in Buncombe Co., NC, May 22, 1788, married to David Crockett in Lawrence Co., Tenn., 1816; died in Johnson Co.--now Hood Co.--Jan. 31, 1860, age 72 years. (death date and age are incorrect, see marker #6256, 6257 (On right and left sides) 1788 1860 1911 (Rear) Crockett
History
Hardware and Tin Shop
A cabin-dotted Woodland in 1870, this square soon had buildings of stone quarried less than a mile away. Investor John D. Baker built this structure in 1882 and in 1890 sold it to saloonkeepers Aston and Landers. Extensive repairs were made in 1891, after a fire in this and neighbor buildings. By 1895, ex-county clerk J.R. Morris had a hardware and tin shop here.
Architecture
Harris Building
Local stonemason I.W. Walley erected the rock walls of this masonry commercial building in 1899. A cast iron storefront and decorative brickwork enhance the plastered facade. The two story structure was built for Wesley Smith Harris (1854-1930), who ran a furniture store and funeral home here. The two businesses were associated because at that time furniture manufacturers made casket parts.
History
Haynes-Burns-Ewell Building
Early site of the Granbury post office, this native stone structure was erected by James C. Haynes, postmaster from 1872 to 1874. He sold the edifice in 1878 to Thomas A. Burns, who served as postmaster until 1883. The property was then purchased by Thomas T. Ewell, a newspaperman who published an early history of Hood County.
Architecture
Holderness-Aiken House
Contractor E.J. Holderness, credited with building numerous Victorian structures in Granbury, erected this home for his own family, in 1896. The front porch features intricate Eastlake style decoration. Enlarged before 1910, the one story frame house was occupied by Holderness until 1913. It was acquired in 1926 by Mary Narcissa Rylee (Mrs.
Architecture
Hood County Courthouse
Fifth courthouse on this site. Erected 1890-1891, this handsome building is a Texas version of the French Second Empire style. First courthouse (1867) was a 1-room log cabin housing county records, lawyers and land agents' offices, and mail station. It was succeeded by 3 stone structures. Contractors Moodie & Ellis and architect W.C. Dodson built this native stone edifice.
History
Hood County Jailhouse
Second county jail. Celebrated in early local ballad. Built to succeed 1873 log jail at time when lawlessness was rampant. Main building is late Victorian in style. Separate stone kitchen was added upon completion. The tall front section was to have a gallows, but no hanging have occurred here. Jail admits some 55 prisoners yearly.
History
J.D. and Georgia Brown House
This house was built in 1907 by the R.B. Spencer Lumber Company for Jefferson Davis (J.D.) (1853-1908) and Georgia Brown (1857-1946). By 1881 J.D. was owner/operator of an impressive dry goods store on the town square. He became a prominent banker and in the early 1900's was mayor of Granbury.
History
J.F. and J. Nutt Building
Erected for Jesse and Jacob Nutt, blind brothers who aided in establishing county seat at Granbury. Their first (1866) store had been a 16 by 12 log house with a wagon yard in the rear. This structure of hand-hewn Hood county stone was built in 1893 by local contractor Jim Warren. About 1919 Nutt Hotel--famed for dining room--moved in after "grocery" was remodeled.
History
James Hogan Doyle and Mary Kate Stringfellow Doyle
James Hogan Doyle and Mary Kate Stringfellow Doyle A native of South Carolina, James Hogan Doyle (1846-1933) fought with the Confederacy during the Civil War, was recognized for his bravery and made his way to Texas about 1870. He settled in the Granbury area and purchased this property in town in 1876.
History
John W. Bull Stone House
One of earliest masonry homes in area; built in view of indian caucus site, Comanche Peak. John W. Bull (1818-98), born in Tennessee, came to Texas in 1853; preempted land here, 1861; in Jan. 1865 participated in the famed Dove Creek Indian battle. After land grant was approved (1871), Bull hired crew under mason Pat Gannon to build this house of stone quarried from nearby hill.
Architecture
Lees-Bryan House
This Eastlake style house was built in 1890 for Granbury Merchant J.C. Lees, a native of Canada. The home was sold to S.L. Bowden in 1895. Bowden's daughter Maude lived here after her marriage to Hardy H. Bryan in 1903.
History
Nellie Gray Robertson
Born in 1894 as the sixth and only daughter of William Jarrett Robertson and Arminda Barton Robertson, Nellie Gray Robertson grew up amid financial hardships in Hood County. She entered the University of Texas in the fall of 1912 and attended for six years. Nellie passed the Texas Bar in 1918 to join the male-dominated profession of law.
History
Panter Branch School
The Panter Branch School (also spelled Painter Branch), Hood County School District No. 7, was in operation by 1898 on a 25-acre plot of land on Hill City Highway south of Tolar. The two-room schoolhouse had two teachers and up to 42 pupils in attendance. Husband and wife, Tony and Grace Morrison, shared teaching duties for several years, serving grades one through eight.
History
Site of Schultz Blacksmith Shop
Carl Severin Schultz was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1876. After marrying Nelsona Vestermann (b. 1871), he came to the United States and settled professions, including ownership of a soft drink factory. He later became the village blacksmith and operated his shop on this site, which he had purchased in 1900.
History
Smith-Savage House
Samuel Hancock Smith (1842-1906) had this residence built soon after he became Hood County tax assessor in 1883. Most of the decorative trim probably was added during an 1892 expansion of the home. From 1920 until 1956, this was the residence of the Savage family. William (1864-1933) and Emma (1878-1956) were Granbury merchants.
History
Stroud Creek Cemetery
The Stroud Creek community developed in the late 1870s and early 1880s due to post-Civil War migration, land grants, a nearby stagecoach line, and cessation of area raids by Native Americans. Stroud Creek settlers began to use this property, located on the Elizabeth Windsor survey and owned by Benjamin Irby, for burials in 1883, and it was later used by residents of Tolar.
History
The Colony Cemetery
Residents of the community known as The Colony came to Hood County with their white southern owners as early as the 1850s. After emancipation they began to settle in this area, and many acquired land under a state law which provided settlers with the opportunity to live on land for as many as seven years before securing a patent for the property.
History
Thrash-Landers-Hiner House
North Carolina native Patrick H. Thrash (1832-1921) moved his family to this area in 1872. Thrash, Granbury's first mayor, built a one story frame home here about 1880. Downtown saloon owner George W. Landers purchased the property in 1899, then sold it to district attorney John J. Hiner in 1903. Hiner's brother, Hood county sheriff Thomas H. Hiner, acquired the property in 1915.