History
Acton Cemetery
Location of Acton historic site, smallest state park in Texas. Includes the grave of Mrs. Elizabeth P. Crockett (1788-1860), widow of the Alamo hero David Crockett, and 2 of his children. In 1911 a monument and statue were erected to her memory. Acton (formerly Comanche Peak post office) was named in 1855 by C.P. Hollis, first merchant in town. In spite of early name, Acton had few Comanche raids.
History
Acton Public Square
The oldest community in what is now Hood County, Acton was settled during the 1850's. First called "Comanche Peak" when a post office was established here on March 10, 1856, the town was renamed "Acton" before the post office was reopened, March 16, 1868. Clarence P. Hollis, pioneer merchant and early postmaster, donated 1.43 acres of land for this public square in the 1860's.
History
Add-Ran Christian College
Here J.A. Clark and his two sons, Addison and Randolph began a private school chartered in 1873 under the name of Add-Ran Christian College. Removed to Waco on December 25, 1895. Reestablished at Fort Worth in 1909 as Texas Christian University.
History
Antioch Community
Antioch, formerly an active farming community, is today a rural locale of western Hood County. The last Indian fight in the county, called Point of the Timbers or Battle of Lookout Point, occurred in this vicinity in September 1869. Organized settlement began in the 1870s, when families established ranches at the head of Stroud's Creek upstream from Thorp Spring.
History
Aston House
When Hood County native Andy C. Aston (1857-1917) married young Dorothy Ficklin (1875-1961), he promised her a fine home. He had gifted designer and builder E.J. Holderness erect this ornate Queen Anne Style House in 1905. A warm-hearted person, active in her church and community, Mrs. Aston often opened the house to large gatherings.
History
Aston-Landers Building
Erected 1893 as a saloon by Andy Aston and George Landers; of native stone, with patented iron front. Here occurred a 1901 duel that badly injured a non-participating horseman on the square. Crusader Carrie Nation visited Granbury in 1905, and in 1906 voters outlawed liquor.
History
Baker-Carmichael House
Jess Baker, prominent local businessman, banker, and member of the Texas House of Representatives, and his wife Alice built this house in 1905. Following Jess Baker's death in 1921 and Alice Baker's death in 1922, the house was purchased by Dr. Arch Carmichael, a prominent local physician, and his wife Dora.
Architecture
Baker-Doyle Building
John D. Baker (1848-1899) had this building constructed in 1882 for his dry goods store. A merchant and community leader, Baker later moved to Weatherford. His partner, James H. Doyle (1846-1933), became sole owner of the building in 1899. Later occupants included city national bank, grocers, dentists, and doctors.
History
Baker-Rylee Building and Town Square Service Station
This cut limestone structure was built in 1895 to house the hardware operation of D.O. Baker and J.D. Rylee. The following year, Baker's brother Jess joined the partnership, and in 1898 the store became the Baker Hardware Company. When the Transcontinental Oil Company purchased the building in 1929, two walls were removed to provide automobile access for the sale of gasoline.
History
Bowden Kennon House
Built between 1908 and 1914 for the family of Ralph W. Bowden (1873-1954), this home features leaded glass windows and steeply pitched gables with flaring eaves. Bowden, a Granbury merchant, served as a city councilman and established an early telephone system for the area. The home was sold in 1914 to Perry H. Kennon (1864-1927), who served as Hood county tax assessor for ten years.
History
Bush-Morgan Cherry Building
Constructed in 1891, this building has been associated throughout its history with prominent Granbury citizens and successful businesses. From 1891 until 1894, it served as the dry goods store of F.C. Bush, who was the city tax collector and secretary in 1892. In 1895 the building housed the Morgan Drug Store, run by Eugene H. Morgan, who later became a prominent local physician.
Military
City named for Confederate General General H.B. Granbury (1831-1864) and Granbury's Texas Brigade
A Mississippian. Came to Texas early 1850s. Lawyer in Waco, recruited Waco Guards, Confederate Army, 1861. Elected Major 7th Texas Infantry. Beat back Federals some miles, Fort Donelson, Tenn., Feb. 1862. Captured there, exchanged Aug. Colonel in Vicksburg campaign to prevent split of Confederacy along Mississippi River. Took 306 men into battle, lost 158. Chickamauga, Sept. 1863 severely wounded.
Nature
Comanche Peak
Known as a prominent Native American and pioneer landmark, Comanche Peak is actually a mesa. The peak rises 1,229 feet above sea level. The peak may have had ceremonial value for local tribes or have been a lookout point for game and enemies. A Comanche trail crossed Hood County in this vicinity.
Military
County Named for Famous Confederate General John Bell Hood
Born Kentucky. West Point graduate. Army service on Texas frontier led Hood to adopt the Lone Star State. Resigned U.S. Army 1861 to serve South. Commanded 4th Texas Infantry. Led "Hood's Texas," most renowned Confederate Brigade. Rose rapidly to Lieutenant General. Known as "The Fighting General" for leadership in the Army of Northern Virginia.
History
Daniel House
In 1867, at the age of 10, William B. Daniel (d. 1940) came to Granbury with his parents. Following his father in the grocery business, he became a leading merchant of the city. In the early 1890's he built this victorian residence for his family.
History
Daniel-Harris Home
Early Granbury merchant and saloonkeeper Robert Randolph Daniel (1864-1918) had this house built about 1892. In 1899 it was sold to Wesley Smith Harris (1854-1930), a prominent local furniture dealer and undertaker.
History
David L. Nutt Home
Two story house built in 1879 by David Lee Nutt, who came to Texas from Missouri in 1857. Constructed, plantation-style, with cypress lumber hauled by ox cart from east Texas. Home soon converted into Hood county's first hotel, humorously named "The Nutt House" by the family. Patrons were drummers visiting Nutt's mercantile store. Became a home again in 1900.
History
Dr. William and Eunice Walker House
Known as "The Honeymoon Cottage," this house was built about 1895 for Dr. William and Eunice Fitzhugh Walker. An eye, ear, nose, and throat specialist, Dr. Walker also owned the Palace Drugstore in nearby Tolar. Built by local contractor E. J.
Architecture
E. A. Hannaford Building
Born in England and reared in Ohio, E. A. Hannaford (1841-1915) served in the Union Army. He came to Granbury from Ohio in 1871, establishing his drugstore in a tent. He and merchant J. D. Baker had a two-part commercial building erected in the Italianate style in 1886. Among the first stone buildings in Granbury, it was commonly known as the "Arch Block.
History
E. A. Hannaford House
Built in 1881-82 by Edwin Augustus Hannaford (1841-1915), this home serves as a reflection of his high standing in the community. A native of England, Hannaford came to Granbury in 1871 and opened the town's first drugstore. He and his wife, Nettie, were both respected civic leaders.
History
Elm Flat Cemetery
A cemetery was established at this site in Nov. 1877 when Thomas B. and Elizabeth Stone (Anderson) Wells buried two young sons near their family cabin. Lucinda Wells, a freed slave who remained with the Wells family after emancipation, was buried here in 1889. In 1883, Elizabeth Wells donated 1.5 acres for the establishment of a church and school for the people of the rural community of Elm flat.
History
First National Bank
First unit in structure was built 1883--year private bank was opened by D.C. Cogdell and John H. Traylor. National Bank charter was issued in 1887 and second structural unit was later acquired. Besides the organizers, officials have included Jeff Nutt (1900-32); C.H. Bencini (1935-36); Jake Green (1936-48); Henry Zweifel (1929-70); John S. Luton (1952- ).
History
First Presbyterian Church of Granbury
Presbyterians held services in this locality in the 1850's and organized this church in 1879, only a few years after Granbury was founded. Charter members included the Bowdens, Carmichaels, Doyles, Gastons, Greens, Kens, Lyles, Mrs. Eliza Nunn and Mrs. Hattie D. Peveler. The congregation built this sanctuary in 1895-96. Style is modified gothic, with 3-story belfry and steeple.
History
Former Acton Masonic Lodge Hall
Begun in 1866 and completed in 1868, this native stone structure was erected by Acton Lodge no. 285, A.F. & A.M. The top floor housed The Lodge Hall, while the lower floor was used as a schoolhouse, church, and social center. After the lodge moved in 1922, the vacant building fell into disrepair. Bought in 1974 by the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas, it was restored as the Church of the Good Shepherd.
History
Glenn Brothers Building
Erected in 1885 by town builder James Farr, an attorney; bought in 1888 by the Glenn Brothers--Clark B., Dan, John L., and James M. Civic leaders interested in many businesses besides their family grocery housed in this structure.