History
Saint Joseph Catholic Church
Land at this site originally was deeded for church use by the Alamo Land and Sugar Company. Construction of the Gothic revival church building was completed in 1924, the year Alamo was incorporated. Development of St. Joseph Parish was guided by pastors from Sacred Heart Catholic Church in McAllen until 1927, when St. Joseph was designated an independent parish.
History
Saint Paul Lutheran Church
Organized in Pharr in 1916 by the Rev. Paul Birkman and five charter members, St. Paul Lutheran Church moved to McAllen in 1917. Early worship service, conducted in German, were held in the First Methodist Church. The Lutherans purchased the former McAllen Christian Church building in 1919 and met there until the 1940s.
Architecture
Sam and Marjorie Miller House
Samuel Lynn and Marjorie Williams Miller were early McAllen leaders. Sam had interests in a nursery, banking and real estate, and was co-owner of the Hidalgo International Bridge. In 1930, he donated 109 acres of land to establish the municipal airport, which later became McAllen Miller International Airport. Marjorie was a civic leader active in the Order of the Eastern Star.
Transport
San Antonio and Rio Grande Railway; "Old Flossie"
Beginning operations in 1909, the San Antonio and Rio Grande Railway Company became a branch of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway in 1912. Nicknamed "Old Flossie," it provided freight and passenger transportation to the new towns of Chapin (Edinburg) and San Juan during a crucial time in the area's development.
Architecture
San Juan Hotel
The San Juan Hotel was completed and opened for business in 1920. Its construction reflected the plans of the town's early business leaders to establish San Juan as a Rio Grande Valley commercial center. Originally constructed with little ornamentation, the Mission Revival details were added in 1928.
History
San Juan Plantation
Foreman's House. Built 1904 by John Closner, 1891-1912 sheriff of Hidalgo County, who helped bring in and finance railroads and establish respect for law. Only reminder today of the 45,000 acre plantation complex that had sugar mill, post office, general store, pumping station, and produced sugar cane, cotton, potatoes, alfalfa and onions. Built the same year Closner's sugar won St.
History
San Juan Townsite
The town of San Juan was established in 1910 with the sale of 406 acres of land to the San Juan Townsite Co., by area entrepreneur John Closner, for whom the town was named. Located on the rail line, San Juan quickly developed a business district along Fifth Street. At this site in 1911, the city's first two-story building was erected.
History
Santa Ana Land Grant
The 15-square-mile Santa Ana land grant was awarded by Mexico to Benigno Leal in 1834. Leal established his Rancho de Adentro (Inside Ranch) headquarters and cemetery at this site. Leal's original grant was eventually combined with adjacent lands to form the "Alamo Tract" which between 1910 and 1930 was converted to farmland by the Louisiana and Rio Grande Canal Company.
Architecture
Shary Building
Designed by San Antonio architect Harvey P. Smith, this two-story edifice was constructed of brick with white stone trimming and erected on the site of Mission founder John Conway's business offices. Intended to house the multi-firm organization of John H. Shary, known as "The Father of the Texas Citrus Industry," the structure was completed in 150 days by June 1939 and originally cost $40,000.
History
Site of Casa de Palmas
The town of McAllen began developing after the arrival of the railroad in 1905. Introduction of an irrigation system made vegetable farming possible. Soon there was a hotel, a grocery store, a Presbyterian church, a bank, and a weekly newspaper. In 1916 after bandits caused border trouble 12,000 soldiers were sent here to restore law and order. Business boomed with the increased population.
History
Site of McAllen Hospitals
The city of McAllen was founded in 1904 and incorporated in 1911. The first medical practitioner was Dr. J.B.F. McMillan who arrived in 1906. Dr. Frank E. Osborn built a two story building in 1918 with a pharmacy on the first floor and doctor's offices upstairs. Dr. Carlos Balli, the first Hispanic to open a practice in McAllen, began in 1920 and was noted for making house calls on horseback.
History
Site of Monte Christo
(2.5 mi. North) One of the towns that sprang up in the Rio Grande Valley in the early 20th century, Monte Christo was platted in 1909 by the Melado Land Co. Among the first settlers were Otto Woods (1882-1956), who managed the townsite, and Virgil Lott (1878-1960), who published a newspaper called "The Hustler".
Architecture
Skaggs House
Prominent Weslaco bankers and citrus farmers C. Lester (1896-1966) and Florence Richardson Skaggs (1884-1983) bought 15 acres here in 1924. This Spanish Colonial Revival style residence, built in 1927, was designed for the Skaggses by prolific Weslaco architect R. Newell Waters. It features an off-center entry and metal casement windows. The house remained in the Skaggs family until 1992.
Architecture
Southern Pacific Depot
Completed and occupied on August 1, 1927, this depot was designed by Southern Pacific Railroad architect Leonard B. McCoy, and built by Ward Construction of El Paso. The depot was part of a major railroad expansion into South Texas. Edinburg felt a positive economic impact when the railroad began shipping citrus and vegetables and serving passengers' needs.
Transport
Southern Pacific Depot
The San Antonio & Aransas Pass (subsidiary of the Southern Pacific) Railway laid track south to the Rio Grande Valley and McAllen in 1927. This passenger depot, designed by railroad architect Leonard B. McCoy, opened in August that year. The structural tile building is stuccoed and detailed in Spanish Colonial Revival style.
Civic & Local
Speer Memorial Library
Mission women formed the Tuesday Club in 1910 and four years later organized the Civic League of Mission to care for a city park and start a library. The library occupied a shelf in an empty store and moved between temporary sites. The Mission city council passed an ordinance to establish a library in 1929.
Transport
Spiderweb Railroad
Begun in 1912 when dirt roads hampered area transportation, the San Benito & Rio Grande Valley Railroad was instrumental in the early development of the region's towns and commerce. It grew from the Brownsville Street and Interurban Railroad Company, established by Sam A. Robertson (1867-1938), a local civil engineer and land promoter.
Architecture
St. Joseph's Church
Built for his rancho and villagers, as was custom of early dons, by Florencio Saenz. Dedicated July 30, 1899, by Father L. Maurel, O.M.I., delegate of Rt. Rev. Peter Verdaguer, Vicar Apostolic, Brownsville. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965.
History
Stockholm
Located on the Hidalgo-Willacy county line, Stockholm was a Swedish community promoted by the Wallin, Johnson & Matson Land Co. of Minnesota. The Swedes, who settled here between 1912 and 1914, were attracted by the area's abundance of inexpensive, fertile farmland. They formed a farm club to share information and problems, and raised cotton, grain, and corn. Some were dairy farmers.
History
Temple Beth Israel
During the 1910s, several Hidalgo and Cameron County families founded a small Jewish congregation. The temple lacked a permanent Rabbi; lay readers led most services, while a student Rabbi was hired to lead high holy day services. The group first worshipped in rented space, but in 1935, Temple Beth Israel (House of Israel) was designed by Weslaco architect Newell Waters and was erected at 402 W.
Civic & Local
Texas Citrus Fiesta
In the 1920s John H. Shary, citrus grower and local developer, began plans to promote locally grown citrus crops on a large scale. The first Texas Citrus Fiesta, with the theme "Coronation and Pageant of Citrus" was held in 1932 with the same promotional purpose.
Industry & Science
TexSun Corporation
The citrus industry was an integral part of the Rio Grande Valley economy in the 20th century. Grove development burgeoned in the 1920s and 1930s, but production outpaced early marketing capabilities; in 1932, 17 citrus associations formed the Rio Grande Valley Citrus Exchange.
Industry & Science
The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System
Land developer B. F. Yoakum saw agricultural potential along the Rio Grande and found investors in 1905 for an irrigation project. They purchased 250,000 acres and the townsite of Mercedes for business headquarters. The pump station began operating in 1908. The system had grown by 1920 to three large canals, miles of branches, and five pumping plants.
Entertainment & Sports
The Border Theater
A fine example of a mid-20th century motion picture theater with regional stylistic influences, the Border Theater was completed in 1942. Dallas architect William J. Moore designed the structure, which was built by contactor George Holliday. The theater was large enough for 740 patrons and housed the office of owners Mr. and Mrs. R. N. Smith.
History
The Donna News
In 1904, T.J. Hooks and A.F. Hester, Sr. founded towns on the StLB&M Rail Line. Railroad president Uriah Lott chose the names of Hooks' daughters for two towns, Donna and Beatrice (East Donna). In 1910, Garland Buck built a two-story brick building at this site for the Donna Developer.