History
Mercedes Enterprise
On October 8, 1908, Isadore Moritz published the first issue of the Mercedes Enterprise. He continued the operation until 1914; that same year, Ben E. Brooks and L.T. Hoyt began the Mercedes Tribute. Another paper, the News-Item, started in 1922 and merged with the Tribune seven years later to form the News-Tribune. Paul Netz bought the franchise in 1941 and restored the original name.
History
Moore Field
A United States aviation training field, originally financed by the nearby cities of Edinburg, McAllen and Mission, was started here in 1941. Named for Lt. Frank M. Moore, a pilot killed in World War I, it was used for the training of World War II airmen. After the field was closed in 1945, the facilities were shared by a tri-cities commercial airport and the Weaver H.
History
Nellie Leo Schunior School
This school's roots lie in the former town of Havana (2 mi. S), where between 1890 and 1944 area children, most of whom lived on nearby ranches, attended classes in a one-room schoolhouse. Nellie Leo Schunior (1878-1920), who later became the first superintendent of Chapin (now Edinburg) schools, taught in Havana from 1913 until 1916.
Civic & Local
Oblate Park
In 1916 the City of Mission entered into a 99-year lease agreement with the Missionary Society of Oblate Fathers for the purpose of creating a public park for the use and benefit of all its citizens. Named for this society of Catholic priests, which, six years earlier, had sold land for the townsite of Mission, Oblate Park has been the scene of many band concerts, Memorial Day celebrations, and…
History
Old Hidalgo County Courthouse
This building served as the Hidalgo County Courthouse from its construction in 1886 until the County Seat was moved to Chapin (later name Edinburg) in 1908. Made of brick from nearby Reynosa, Mexico, it originally was a two-story structure. Its cupola, roof, and second floor were destroyed in an early 20th-century fire.
History
Old Hidalgo County Jail
Built in 1886 by S. W. Brooks, who also constructed the nearby courthouse, this jail served Hidalgo County during a turbulent period in its history, when outlaw raids were still occurring. The city's first newspaper, "The Hidalgo Advance," was published here from 1904 to 1908.
History
Old Hidalgo County Jail
Erected 1909-1910. One of first buildings in town after county seat moved here 1908 from Old Hidalgo. Spanish architecture, with red tile roof, white walls. A new jail was built in 1922; this became community center, and served as a meeting place for civic groups until 1931; then was city hall until 1966.
History
Old Hidalgo School
Thought to have been built about 1898, this two-story brick structure has served as an educational facility for generations. The first recorded graduation took place in 1922, with a class of three. The school housed students in elementary grades until 1960.
History
Old Pharr City Hall
This structure was completed in 1911 by the Pharr Townsite Co., operated by John C. Kelly (1862-1937), a co-founder of Pharr. It housed the first bank, the post office, a confectionary, a drugstore, and the first irrigation and canal company. The building became the first City Hall in 1916, when Pharr was incorporated.
Architecture
Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church
This church was established in 1899 as the first mission of the historic La Lomita Church (5 mi. S). Originally known as Our Lady of the Mission (Nuestra Senora de la Mission), it was renamed Our Lady of Guadalupe (Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe) in 1927 when this structure was built.
History
P.P. Ackley and the Texas Chisholm Trail
Illinois native Peter Preston Ackley (1858-1940) moved to Texas as a boy. He went on several trail drives in 1870s and 1880s, bringing from cattle Texas, Nebraska and Canada to Kansas railheads. Starting in the 1920s, Ackley worked to have the Chisholm Trail recognized as a National Highway.
History
Padre Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla (1753-1811), for whom the county of Hidalgo is named, was born near Guanajuato, Mexico, while the country was still under Spanish rule. After being ordained a priest in 1779, he served churches in Colima, San Felipe, and Dolores, where he emerged as a champion of human rights who feared the colonial system would never allow independence and justice for all citizens.
Industry & Science
Paris Gum Factory
During WWII, because of rationing, Andrew J. Paris (1919-1997) and his family had no sweets to sell in their Detroit, MI. tobacconist shop. In 1942, in Mexico City, Paris found an ample supply of candies and chewing gum to save his family's store. In 1945, he established an import business in McAllen bringing in gum from Mexico.
History
Penitas
Possibly one of oldest towns in the United States. Established, according to tradition, in mid-1520s. Founders were a priest and five other Spaniards of the unsuccessful Panfilo de Narvaez Expedition into Mexico in 1520. Narvaez was sent to arrest or kill Hernando Cortez, conqueror of Mexico, who was accused of disloyalty to the king.
History
Penitas
The community of Peñitas, which derives its name, meaning "Little Pebbles," from area gravel deposits, traces its origins to the colonization efforts of Spaniard José de Escand'n. In 1749, he settled families on the Villa of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Reynosa land grant in Mexico. Peñitas developed on a section of the ejidos (town commons) north of Reynosa as grazing land for livestock.
History
Peñitas Cemetery
Established in 1836, the Peñitas Cemetery served the settlers of the historic settlement of Peñitas. The earliest documented internment was in 1894 for Antonio Zamora who died at age 40, although earlier unmarked burials are likely present. Other marked burials include pioneer families who arrived in the area in the 1800s as well as veterans of foreign and domestic wars.
Architecture
Percy Herman House
This house was built in 1933 for Percy Herman (1884-1967), a major influence in the development of McAllen. Herman was born in Fort Dodge, Iowa, and in 1910, he married Stella H. Lazarus. Herman soon moved his family to Texas where he opened stores across various South Texas towns. He and his family finally settled in McAllen, opening the valley mercantile store in 1916.
History
Pharr Volunteer Fire Department
In July 1916, the same year voters incorporated the city of Pharr, a large fire laid waste to an entire downtown city block. As a result of the blaze, the community lost Pharr Lumber Co., Pharr Mercantile Co., Folsum Hardware Co., National Theatre and several other businesses.
History
Progreso
Land in this area was part of a Spanish land grant requested by Juan Jose Hinojosa in 1776 and awarded posthumously in 1790. Hinojosa had occupied the land and used it for livestock pasture since 1766. In 1896 ranchers in the area obtained a U.S. post office under the name Progreso.
Architecture
Quinta Mazatlan_Home of Jason Matthews
One of the larger adobe homes in the state, Quinta Mazatlan was designed and built by Jason Chilton Matthews (1887-1964) during the late 1930s. Adobe blocks used in construction were made at this site. A composer, writer, and adventurer, Matthews was known for his eccentric ways.
History
Relampago Ranch
Originally part of a Spanish land grant, Relampago (lightning) Ranch community lay along the stage and military route from Rio Grande City to Brownsville. In 1852 Thaddeus Rhodes (1828-1904) acquired acreage here when he came as Hidalgo county clerk. Later he served as commissioner and judge.
History
Restlawn Cemetery
This property is believed to be the only graveyard in Hidalgo County dedicated for African American burials. Prior to its founding in 1928, blacks were allowed burial space only in private ranch cemeteries. In the 1920s, Edinburg had a growing black community of domestic and agricultural workers and entrepreneurs. A.Y.
History
Richard Alvis Marsh
(October 7, 1845 - August 14, 1917) Kentucky native Richard A. Marsh had a notable military and journalism career before distinguishing himself as an educator in the Rio Grande Valley. He arrived in San Antonio in 1874 then left for Fort Ringgold (Rio Grande City) in 1880 to teach the fort's children.
Entertainment & Sports
Rio Theatre
First known as Teatro La Paz (Peace Theatre), this cultural arts center was built about 1912 by Juan Bautista Barber', a native of Spain who came to the United States in 1905. A bricklayer by profession, Barber brought films, lecturers, actors, and musicians to his theatre. Enrique Flores bought the property and business in 1945 and changed its name to the Rio Theatre.
History
Run
This area in the mid-1800s was part of the Asadores Ranch owned by Salvador and San Juana Cavazos. In 1898, east Texas rice farmers A.F. Hester, Sr. and T.J. Hooks bought land in the vicinity. They and others began La Blanca Agricultural Company and the Arroyo Canal Company to build an irrigation system. They also helped usher the railroad into the area.