History
Swanson's Landing
(Site 16 mi. NE; Historic Railroad Bed Here) A key port on Caddo Lake for traffic to New Orleans, 1830s-1860s. Founded by Peter Swanson (1789-1849), a civil engineer and planter. Cotton, pelts and other products went out and settlers' goods came in at this landing. 1850s terminal of Southern Pacific (first railroad in East Texas), built to Marshall from the landing.
History
Temple Emanu-El Cemetery
In 1957, Longview members of Kilgore's Temple Beth Sholom established a new synagogue, Temple Emanu-El, along with a new burial ground as part of the larger Memory Park Cemetery. Temple Emanu-El Cemetery became Harrison County's second dedicated Jewish Cemetery (after Marshall Hebrew Cemetery, established in 1881).
Transport
Texas & Pacific Depot
Marshall's first railroad was conceived as a connection to Red River steamboat traffic. Twenty miles of track were laid northeast to Swanson's Landing on Caddo Lake by 1858. In 1871, the U. S. Congress authorized the Texas & Pacific Railway Company to build a transcontinental railroad, which would run along the 32nd parallel from Marshall to the West Coast.
History
The Allen House
Born in Alabama, the Rev. Walker Montecue Allen (1819-1899) was a Cumberland Presbyterian minister, author, and teacher. He moved to Marshall in 1876 with his wife Eliza Ann (Handly) (1829-1902) and their nine children. They erected this two-story residence in 1879, with the Rev. Allen and his older sons doing most of the carpentry and masonry work.
History
The Belle Fry Gaines House
This residence was erected for John R. (b. 1849) and Sallie Stinson (b. 1857) soon after their marriage in Sept. 1875. The wood framing around the entryway was carved to resemble cut stone. Stinson was a merchant and served one term as mayor of Marshall. In 1909 Walter D. Minton (D. 1918) bought the structure after Minton's death, his widow Belle (Fry) (d. 1978) married E. P. Gaines.
History
The Hallsville Cemetery
After the establishment of Hallsville in 1869 by railroad developers, land was secured here for a cemetery. In 1875 the James F. Taylor Masonic Lodge No. 169 acquired from the railroad (by then named the Texas & Pacific) three acres of land near the rail line and dedicated it as a community burial ground. The earliest marked burial is that of Mrs. G. C.
Architecture
The Hockwald House
An orphan, Isaac ("Ike") Hockwald (1865-1956) came to Marshall in 1877 as the ward of Lionel Kahn. He joined Kahn's mercantile firm and became a prosperous businessman. Hockwald was a school trustee, member of several fraternal groups, and one of the organizers of the East Texas Baseball League. He and his wife Amelia (Raphael) built this Victorian residence in 1894-95.
History
The Hub Shoe Store
Mose Weisman opened Hub Shoe Store on E. Austin Street in 1897. The Weisman family emigrated from Bavaria, Germany, to Syracuse, New York, and then to Marshall in the late 1840s, becoming part of the town's thriving Jewish community. Weisman's nephew, Louis W. Kariel, purchased the business in 1924. Kariel, a World War I veteran, later became Marshall's first Jewish mayor. His son, Louis W.
History
The Library Movement in Marshall
Twenty-five Marshall ladies formed the Ingleside Circulating Book Club in 1887, each member buying a book and making exchanges. When that club and four others organized a federation in 1899, their first civic goal was a city library. Use of a feed store loft was donated by the federation president and her husband. The library opened in 1900 with 174 books and with hay-bales for chairs.
History
The Turner House
George Gammon Gregg, a leading merchant, built this frame house during the early 1850s. According to family tradition, Confederate veteran James Turner (d. 1913) acquired title to the property after a poker game in 1866. Turner was a noted lawyer and served four years as mayor of Marshall. His son Robert (1868-1927) added the front porch, with its Victorian columns, in 1890.
History
Todd-McKay-Wheat House
Todd-McKay-Wheat House Originally constructed before the Civil War and modified during the 1880s and again in 1909, this house is significant for its historical associations and for its representation as an evolutionary house form. In 1856, Mary Britt bought the property and married Judge William S. Todd, later a signer of the 1861 ordinance of secession.
History
Trammel's Trace Cabin
Built before 1842. Hand-hewn logs, chinked with pipe clay. For strength has butterfly mortising on log ends and beams with tee-braces. Was part of a 2-pen dog-trot house. Moved here, 1938, by Mr. and Mrs. Hobart Key, Jr. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Van Zandt Hill
Homesite of Isaac Van Zandt (1813-1847), one of founders of Marshall, a noted frontiersman, debater, lawyer, statesman; served in 5th and 6th congresses of Republic of Texas; was Charge d'Affaires to United States, 1842-1844. In governor's race when he died of yellow fever and was buried in family graveyard. Now in Greenwood Cemetery.
History
Walter Paye Lane
(Star and Wreath) Soldier in the Texas War for Independence. Major in the Mexican War. Brigadier general, C.S.A. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Weisman-Hirsch House
Before department store owner Joe Weisman (1848-1918) married Lena Young in 1881, her father deeded this property to Weisman. The first home burned and this structure was built in 1901. The architect was C. G. Lancaster who also designed the Ginocchio Hotel. Later the Weismans' daughter Valerie and her husband Joe Nathan Hirsch (1883-1966) occupied the house.
History
Whetstone Memorial
In memory of Peter Whetstone and Dicey Whetstone, pioneer settlers in Harrison County. Donors in 1843 of the site of the City of Marshall, a part of the Peter Whetstone headright granted in 1838 by the Republic of Texas.
History
Wigfall House
The oldest portion of this house was erected about 1856. It was occupied soon afterward by the family of Louis Trezevant Wigfall (1816-1874). A flamboyant political leader, Wigfall strongly advocated secession and states' rights. He served as a State Legislator, United States Senator, and Confederate Senator. during the Civil War (1861-1865), Confederate officers often stayed at the Wigfall home.
History
Wiley College
(Established March 17, 1873; Chartered 1882) Founded by Freedmen's Aid Society of the Methodist Church (North) as a co-educational institution dedicated to the education of Black men and women freed by the Civil war. Named for Bishop Isaac W. Wiley (1825-84), Black religious leader. Original campus was 2 miles south, relocated here in 1878.
History
Wiley College Cemetery
The Freedmen's Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, North, an organization devoted to the education of former slaves and their descendants, established Wiley College in Marshall in March 1873. The school was named for Bishop Isaac W. Wiley, a charter member of the society, and was originally located about three miles south of the town square.
Architecture
William Patillo House
Built of hand-made brick in 1846 for Wm. Patillo, teaming and transport contractor on Trammel's Trace. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Woodley Cemetery
Wingate Woodley arrived in the Republic of Texas in 1839 and settled in Harrison County shortly after its formation that year. He received a letter from his father, William (b. 1787), in 1840, asking that he leave the lawlessness of this area and return to the safety of his former home in Georgia.
Architecture
Woodley House
Woodley family members first settled in Harrison County in the 1840s. Here they farmed the land and served in local government. William Lawrence Woodley built his home at this site in 1873, soon after he acquired the land from his father. The one-story farmhouse was enlarged in 1910 when he died and son Jessie Lawrence Woodley inherited the homestead.