History
Marshall Hebrew Cemetery
Among the pioneer settlers of Harrison County were a number of Jewish families, many of whom were German immigrants. The Hebrew Benevolent Society was organized in 1867 with 25 charter members. In 1881 the society purchased a plot of land to be used as a burial ground. Known as the Marshall Hebrew Cemetery, this graveyard contains the burials of many prominent citizens and early settlers.
Industry & Science
Marshall Pottery
Kentucky native W. F. Rocker founded the Marshall Pottery in 1895. The locale, apparently not legally owned by Rocker, contained spring-fed water and vast quantities of white clay, the two natural ingredients needed for the production of pottery. The business began with six employees, one wood-fired rock kiln, a mule-powered clay grinder and one man-powered kickwheel for turning the stoneware.
Military
Marshall Powder Mill
Throughout the Civil War, the Confederate Army struggled with the problem of lack of military stores. Following the fall of Vicksburg to Union forces in 1863, the supply of ordnance from Richmond was cut off. The Trans-Mississippi Department of the Confederacy of which Texas was a part, established arsenals and ordnance stores at four sites in Arkansas.
Transport
Marshall-Shreveport Stagecoach Road
Before the Civil War (1861-65), the stage road was the main transportation artery between Marshall and Shreveport, providing a link with New Orleans for distant markets. Extending northeast from Marshall, the stage road paralleled the later route of State Highway 43 and passed about 2.5 miles north of this site. Merging with the route from Jefferson, it turned southeast toward Waskom.
Military
Marshall, C.S.A.
As a center of activity for the Confederacy west of the Mississippi, this East Texas town played a major role in the Civil War. Headquarters of the Trans-Mississippi Department Medical Bureau and Postal Service were here plus two military hospitals and a commissary bureau. An ordnance bureau, depot, arsenal, and laboratory produced and distributed powder, pistols, saddles, harness and clothing.
Military
Matthew Duncan Ector
(Star and Wreath) Brigadier General, C. S. A. Participated in Battles of Richmond, Ky., Murfreesboro, Chicamauga, Atlanta, Defense of Mobile. Erected by the State of texas 1962
History
Matthew W. Dogan, Sr.
Matthew Winfred Dogan was born on December 21, 1863 in Pontotoc, Mississippi. His parents, William and Jennie Dogan, were born slaves, but were able to purchase their freedom and that of their six children in 1858. Determined to educate their children, the family moved to Holly Springs, Miss.
History
Melvin B. Tolson
Poet, professor, and playwright, Melvin Beaunorus Tolson was born on February 6, 1898 in Kansas City, Missouri, to Rev. Alonzo, a Methodist minister, and Lera Ann (Hurt) Tolson. Melvin graduated high school in 1918 in Kansas City, Missouri and then earned a Bachelor's degree in English in 1923 from Lincoln University in Pennsylvania, the nation's first Black college.
History
Nesbitt Cemetery
Robert Jameison (1810-86) and Nathan L. Nesbitt, twin brothers from Tennessee, settled this area in 1847. First grave here was that of Nathan's wife, Psyche ("Sackey") Walker Nesbitt (1815-51) Robert's wife, Susan Adeline Nesbitt (1827-1901), who often nursed sick neighbors in the absence of a community doctor, donated this site for the family cemetery.
History
Old Grover Cemetery
William McKinney conveyed adjacent land in 1848 for the establishment of a community school. Later, a Union church was included and the site became the center of Grover community, a widespread farm settlement. This cemetery is first noted in records of the 1850s. The oldest marked grave is that of Susan Green (d. 1875), who came to this area from Tennessee.
History
Old Powder Mill Cemetery
Located on part of a site once occupied by a Confederate gun powder factory, this cemetery originated with the burial of slaves on the Powder Mill acreage. After the factory was destroyed in 1865 with the collapse of the Confederacy, the acreage fell into private ownership. One of the landowners, mortician M. M.
History
Old Town of Port Caddo
Ancestral home of Texas Caddo Indians, this region gained a distinctive character in the 19th century. From 1806 to 1845 it lay in an area disputed by various countries and designated, from 1819, as the "neutral ground." Settlers living here were far from neutral, however. They became independent and resisted paying taxes levied by any "outside" authority.
History
Robert W. Loughery, Civil War Editor
In the mid-nineteenth century Robert W. Loughery (b. 1820) was one of East Texas' best known journalists through his association with several Harrison County newspapers. As owner and editor of Marshall's "Texas Republican", he supported such controversial issues as slavery, secession and the Confederacy, while boldly denouncing his opposition.
History
Sam Houston School
The Marshall School Board purchased two acres here in 1903 as the site for this 8-room brick school building designed by prominent architect C. G. Lancaster. Originally called the "East Side School" it opened to Anglo students in 1905.
History
Sam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall
On May 23, 1857, during his first Texas gubernatorial race, Sam Houston came to Marshall, the hometown of two of his most outspoken critics, Robert Loughery and Louis T. Wigfall, for a much anticipated debate against his opponent Hardin Runnels.
History
Site of Central School
Early schools for Marshall's African Americans consisted of loosely organized classes held in homes, churches, and lodge halls. In 1894 Professor H. B. Pemberton, Sr., convinced city officials of the need for a school building and a fixed curriculum for African Americans.
History
Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute
School originated as Female Department of Marshall University, chartered Jan. 18, 1842, by Republic of Texas. Marshall Masonic Lodge No. 22 chartered the Female Institute as a separate school in 1850. Five lodge members (including city's most prominent men) were on institute's executive board. By 1853, there were fifty-three students and a faculty of five.
History
Site of Marshall University
A pioneer institution of higher education incorporated January 19, 1842. Granted four leagues of land for its support by the Republic of Texas. The leading educational institution in northeast Texas until the Civil War. It later became a part of the public school system of Marshall.
History
Site of Temple Moses Montefiore
In 1887 Jewish residents of the Marshall area organized the Moses Montefiore congregation, Adath Israel. Daniel Doppelmayer, a Civil War veteran and one of the pioneer Jewish settlers of the area, was selected as the first president. At his suggestion, the congregational name was chosen to honor Sir Moses Montefiore (1784-1885), the noted Jewish financier and philanthropist of England.
History
Site of the Capitol Hotel
A 3-story brick structure built on this site in 1857 by business leader George B. Adkins (1810-76), and called "Adkins House", ranked as a very fine hotel and served as depot for stage lines, including southern branch of Butterfield Mail, 1858-61.
Military
Site of The Confederate Hat Factory in Marshall, C.S.A.
Texas had very few factories in 1861 when she joined the Confederate States of America and went to war on the issue of states' rights. Some of the manufacturing plants necessary to supply military goods were thereupon established in and around Marshall, which later (1863) became headquarters for Confederate operations west of the Mississippi River.
History
Smyrna Cemetery
Pioneer physician John Chadd received a land grant in 1845 made by Texas Governor J. Pinckney Henderson. Dr. Chadd donated land to the community in 1846 to be used for a church, school, and cemetery and chose the community's biblical name of Smyrna. This cemetery dates to 1850 when John Glover was buried in an unmarked grave. The earliest headstone is that of Susana Kirkpatrick in 1859. Dr.
History
Solomon Ruffin Perry
(June 2, 1810-Jan. 13, 1895) Born in Louisburg, N. C.; came to Texas 1833. Never carried a gun, though he lived in locality of 1840's regulator-moderator feud, and risked life to help bury Robert Potter (first secretary of Navy, Republic of Texas), who had been shot by an enemy. Was elected county sheriff in 1848 after his predecessor was assassinated.
History
St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery
Though it is unclear when this land was first used for burials, the oldest known graves date from 1872. At its creation the cemetery served Catholics in Harrison County and St. Joseph Parish, including Carthage, Jefferson, Waskom, Uncertain and Scottsville. Visiting priests served parishioners until the Rev. Thomas Loughery was sent by the Galveston Diocese in 1874.
History
Starr Family Home
Dr. James Harper Starr (1809-1890) was a government official in the Republic of Texas and the Confederacy and a leading physician and businessman. In 1870, Dr. Starr and his son, James Franklin Starr (1844-1902), relocated their land and banking agency from Nacogdoches to Marshall, and bough this land for their homes.