History
Shive
In area settled in 1870s. Some of the earliest settlers were Connels, McKinleys, Nettletons, and Roddys. First school, Union Hill, opened in 1883; A. S. Andrews, J. H. Clark, L. C. Sloneker, trustees. Post office, established Jan. 18, 1884, was in first store, owned by J. W. and R. L. Shive (with R. L. as postmaster).
History
St. Paul's Lutheran Church
A number of German immigrants settled in this area in the late 19th century. Initially known as Pleasant Point, the settlement was later renamed Aleman. Traveling Lutheran missionaries held worship services for the settlers until a congregation was officially organized. An evangelical Lutheran congregation was established on September 24, 1886, with fourteen families.
History
Trinity Lutheran Church
German Lutherans in Pottsville and surrounding communities formed an evangelical Lutheran congregation in 1891. The first resident pastor, the Rev. F. Naumann, served from 1898 to 1903. Church services were held in the McGirk Community Schoolhouse (12 miles south) until 1907, when a sanctuary was built near Pottsville. The congregation established a German school in 1908.
History
Twin Oaks
Between these trees Wm. Willis took refuge on Dec. 24, 1866, but was shot fatally by Indians. He was riding a mule to a dance when attacked. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967
History
Twin Oaks
Named for historic trees. Built 1904 by Dr. Chas. C. Baker (1872-1942), city's first resident dentist, descendant of the Beemans, one of Dallas' founding families; graduate, Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, Republican state executive committeeman for 26 years. Dr. Baker built "Twin Oaks" with ball-and billiard rooms unique in Hamilton.
History
William Thatcher Baker
Farmer, rancher, merchant, and ginner. Born in Ohio, in 1850 he moved to Pleasant Run, Dallas County, Texas. Married Miss Emily Beeman, the daughter of James J. Beeman, Dallas pioneer. Although a Unionist, as a loyal Texan he made shoes for Confederacy in Civil War, 1861-65. Later he ran ferry 1-1/2 miles below Dowdy's Ferry on Trinity River. Moved (1879) to Plum Creek Farm, Hamilton County.