History
Andrew Miller
(1823 - 1900) A frontier settler from Monroe County, Virginia, Andrew Miller migrated to Texas while still a young man. In 1856 he settled in Comanche County near the Hamilton County line. He married Hannah Margaret Shockley in 1861. They had seven children. Miller served with the 2nd Frontier Ranger group, defending nearby pioneer settlements against Comanche Indian raids.
History
Ann Whitney
(1839 - 1867) Described as a stout lady with an engaging personality, Elizabeth (Ann) Whitney confirmed that she could be strong, brave, and resourceful on one fateful July day in 1867. Ann was a teacher at a nearby frontier school. Suddenly, during the course of a typical school day, a party of Comanche Indians attacked.
History
Ann Whitney
Elizabeth (Ann) Whitney, a native of Missouri, accepted a teaching position at a newly erected rural school located about seven miles north of present day Hamilton in 1867. This school, called the Leon River School, was situated on a rise overlooking the Warlene Valley. On a hot summer afternoon in 1867 Ann and her students were suddenly attacked by Comanche Indians.
History
Capt. John Stephen Potts
(1816 - 1901) Born in Bradley county, Tenn. married Malinda Davis, cousin of Jefferson Davis, president of the confederate states of America. Lived in Carthage, Mo., where he was justice of the peace, then sheriff (1850-52), and confederate soldier during the civil war. Moving to Texas, he paid $500 in gold for Hamilton county sheep range, 1872; later had more land.
Architecture
Cole House
This home was built by real estate investor J. Van Steenwyck in 1901-1902. It was purchased by John Baldwin Cole (1860-1924) and his wife, the former Minnie Victoria Grace, in 1907. A druggist, Cole operated the Cole and Grace Drugstore in partnership with his father-in-law, Dr. J. W. Grace.
History
Dr. Wm. Madison West
Born in Tennessee, studied medicine by apprenticeship. Married Elizabeth Jane Reynolds; had seven children. In 1874 came to Hamilton County. A church leader, he farmed, practiced medicine. Gave land for West Point Cemetery-- named for him.
History
Durham Ranch House
-- from application - Built 1873 by John Jefferson Durham; 2-story rock, colonial residence. J. J. Durham was first to teach school in Hamilton. Owned several thousand acres of land, fought in Civil War, was an early merchant of general merchandise, a builder, and a man of great influence in the area.
History
Elise Waerenskjold
(1815 - 1895) Gifted pioneer whose 1846-1895 writings brought many settlers to Texas from her native Norway. Countrymen also found her home open to newcomers. She is now called "Lady with the Pen". She and her husband had 3 sons, many descendants.
History
Elise Waerenskjold
Influential early promoter of Norwegian emigration to Texas; born Elise Tvede in 1815. In 1846, after John Reiersen migrated to Texas to found the first Norwegian settlement in the state, she became editor of his periodical "Norway and Texas." Through her articles, many were inspired to move here. In 1847 she, too, moved to Texas, and resided in both Van Zandt County and Hamilton County.
History
Fairy Cemetery
First called Gap for its geographic setting between two hills, this sparsely settled community became known as Martin's Gap in the 1860s after a man named Jim Martin reportedly was killed by Indians while traveling through the area.
Military
Frederick B. Gentry
Texas War for Independence soldier, 1836. Later commanded a frontier Minuteman Company. Erected by the State of texas, 1962
History
Hamilton County
Created February 2, 1842 from Montgomery and Houston counties; recreated January 22, 1858, organized August 2, 1858. Named in honor of General James Hamilton, 1786-1857. Lawyer and Governor of South Carolina; appointed diplomatic agent to Europe by President Lamar. Hamilton, the county seat.
History
Hamilton County Courthouse
Before era of this impressive courthouse, Hamilton County's government was housed in stores, a rustic school, a former livery stable, a 2-story building with top floor especially designed for a courtroom, and briefly in a saloon. Fire razed two of the early, improvised courthouses. First permanent one, built 1878, also burned in 1886.
History
Hamilton County, C.S.A.
Created and organized in 1858. By 1860 had 489 people in 78 families from 15 states. Vote in 1861 was 86-1 in favor of secession. 60 farmers were organized as Hamilton County Minutemen, a unit of part-time soldiers. Others joined Confederate regiments and fought at Vicksburg, Shiloh and other memorable battles. During the Civil War, travel was on horseback and hauling by ox wagon.
History
Hamilton National Bank
J. T. James and Z. C. Law had the town's first drugstore in 1876. Law appointed postmaster, used a small safe in official duties. In 1881 Dr. George Perry bought Law's interest, but the safe remained in the store. The first bank in county began when James and Perry let friends keep bucksin bags of coins in the safe. This private bank was in service for several years.
History
Ireland Cemetery
Ireland Cemetery This site was once the family burial plot for the Daniel Webster (D.W.) Edwards family. The first marked grave is for his one-year-old son, Sterling P. Edwards, dating to October 1873. Several stones indicate other unmarked graves. Edwards settled in Texas after his Civil War regiment, the 11th Missouri Infantry, disbanded while in Texas in 1865.
History
John J. ("Jack") Durham
Born in Larkinsville, Ala.; came to Coryell County, Tex., 1857, and Hamilton, 1860. Taught school here. Acquired much land; traded 200 cattle for C. C. Bumgartner's Store and Hotel. Helped found and direct Hamilton College, 1884-89. He was one of five men who each gave $5,000 for locating (1907) Stephenville North and South Texas Railway line through Hamilton.
History
John Rankin Alford
John Rankin Alford was born in Tennessee in 1834, and he arrived in Hamilton County, Texas, in 1860 with his wife Martha Ann (Malone). The couple settled on Honey Creek and Alford began selling goods that he had brought with him by wagon and also engaged in the cattle business.
History
Knights of Pythias Lodge Hall
Built about 1900 by C. W. Cotton, this structure was originally a one-story brick and stone building used for mercantile stores. A second story was added in 1913 to serve as a meeting place for The Hamilton Knights of Pythias Lodge. Following World War I, the building was used for numerous civic functions.
History
Manning-Gordon-Henderson House
Local contractor Louis V. Manning built this house between 1880 and 1885 on land inherited from his father, pioneer Exekiel Manning, and lived here until 1904. The John H. and Abbie Gordon family owned the house from 1907 to 1936 and the Oliver Dow and Minta Henderson family took up residence here in 1936.
History
Martin's Gap
Mountain burial site for frontiersman Jim Martin, killed here by Indians in 1860s, when county had fewer than 500 people. Gap bore his name for 20 years. Settled in 1873 by Capt. Battle Fort, Confederate veteran and lawyer. A post office established 1884 was named Fairy to honor Mrs. Phelps, Fort's beloved young daughter.
History
Old Hico (Ghost Town)
This site on Honey Creek marks the beginning in 1856 of the settlement of Hico. Earliest families to locate here were those of John Q. Anderson, M. A. Fuller, J. G. Barbee, James R. and Henry Fuller, Isaac Steen, Isaac and Thomas Malone. In 1860 John R. Alford, a merchant, became the first postmaster. Rocks from ruins of the old mill were used in the erection of this memorial.
History
Pecan Wells Cemetery
A pioneer community named Lookout began to develop in this area traversed by the Lampasas River and nearby Lookout Mountain during the 1870s and 1880s. Lookout School opened about one mile southeast of here in the late 1870s. This cemetery began with the burial of Barnard and Maria Schmith Pfluger's infant son Heinrich K. Pfluger in 1893. In 1904 Civil War veteran and early area settler W. M.
History
Presbyterian Church
Organized Sept. 5, 1880, by Rev. John A. McMurray, evangelist of Central Texas Presbytery. Its building of early 1880s was first frame church erected in Hamilton; used by other faiths on Sunday evenings for years. Charter members included W. T. Cropper, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Foster, Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Howard, Andrew Miller and D. L. Reynolds. Other early members were Robt. Miller and Mrs.
History
Saint Mary's Episcopal Church
First Episcopal church in Hamilton County. Services were begun 1868 in home of Mrs. E. D. Bell, Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg; first bishop of Texas, who rode here horseback from Galveston. Site given 1891 by Maj. C. W. Cotton. Building committee: S. D. Felt, J. L. Spurlin, E. R. Williams. Gothic architecture. Bell given by a St. Louis merchant. Consecrated 1896 by bishop A. C. Garrett. Rev. W. W.