History
Mita Holsapple Hall (1885-1965)
Mita Holsapple Hall (1885-1965) Born near Fair Dealing, Kentucky, Mita Holsapple moved with her family to Sherman as a child and graduated from Mary Nash College. Wed to Hugh E. Hall in 1919, she organized the first Camp Fire Girls group in Sherman two years later.
History
Mt. Tabor Cemetery
Burrel Scarbrough (1817-1878) and his wife, Harriett (Melton) (1826-1890), both from Alabama, moved to Texas prior to the Civil War. In 1866, the Scarbroughs purchased land north of Whitesboro from the State of Texas for their farm, adding an adjoining 160 acres in 1878. Burrel identified a large hill on the property as a good site for a community cemetery.
Military
Ninth Texas Cavalry
The Ninth Texas Cavalry consisted of about 1,000 mounted volunteers from Grayson, Tarrant, Hunt, Hopkins, Cass, Red River, Titus, and Lamar counties. They gathered about 15 miles northwest of here at Brogdon's Springs on October 2, 1861, and were mustered into Confederate service under Colonel William B. Sims.
Transport
North-South Railway Connection
On December 24, 1872, a Missouri, Kansas & Texas (Katy) Railroad train carrying 100 passengers arrived here in the newly established railroad town of Denison. Its arrival marked the culmination of years of effort by the Katy to construct a rail line from the border of Kansas and the Indian Territory (Oklahoma) south to the Red River and into Texas.
History
Oak Ridge Cemetery
In 1853, Asa Messenger, Sr. and his nephew, William Lightfoot, traveled to Grayson County and purchased a considerable amount of land. The Lightfoot family moved to Fannin County soon after, but the messengers made their final move to Texas in 1871. Asa Messenger, Jr.
History
Odd Fellows Hall
Erected in 1875. Third meeting place for Sherman Lodge #45 since organization Sept. 27, 1854. Center of community activity: opened a school (74 students) 11 years before first city public school. At June 21, 1862 meeting all members except one elderly brother left for Confederate service. This meeting was not officially closed until war's end.
History
Old Bass Home
(Originally at 215 W. Houston, Sherman) Oldest extant house in city. Erected in 1850s by Dr. R. L. Bullock. Built around typical "dog run," or entry hall. Had first window glass in county. Family home of Confederate Col. T. C. Bass since 1867. His daughter Nettie, born here 1868, lived in home 97 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
History
Old Cedar Community
Settled in 1848 by Grayson County pioneers, who reclaimed land from wilderness, raiding Indians and hardships of frontier life soon created need for a cemetery, established the same year. The plots were free to any person. Many noted settlers are buried here, including one Union and 18 Confederate veterans of the Civil War. Of some 400 graves, half are marked.
History
Old Sherman Public Library
A subscription library was established in Sherman in 1901 and housed in a rented room. In 1911, the city submitted a request to the Andrew Carnegie Foundation and received $20,000 for a library. This lot was purchased in 1912 for $2500 and plans were drawn for a structure of simplified beaux-arts styling by local architect John Tulloch (1860-1947).
History
Old Thompson Home
Oldest house in Grayson County. Contained county's first post office. Built 1830 near Preston Bend, important trail crossing on Red River. Builder was James G. Thompson, first Chief Justice (county judge), Grayson County, and ancestor of leaders in the area's business and civic life. Structure, of white oak logs, has walnut picture rails and chair rails, pegged Salem "cross and Bible" doors.
History
Old Town of Cannon (Ghost Town)
Founded 1852 by Elijah Cannon, who came from South Carolina with his children and slaves, to develop 700 acres of land. Family established a church, cotton gin, grist mill, wagon factory. By 1885 town had an academy and 400 people. Bypassed by Houston & Texas Central Railroad, it declined rapidly in the 1890s.
History
Olive Ann Oatman Fairchild
(1837-1903) Captured in Arizona at age 13 (1851) by Yanapai Indians, who massacred 6 members of family. Sold to Mojave Indians, she was treated kindly but bore mark of a slave -- blue, cactus needle tattoo on chin -- for rest of life. Ransomed by army at Fort Yuma, 1856. Lived in California, then New York. There she married J. B. Fairchild in 1865.
History
Park of Old Settlers Association of Grayson County
A public-spirited group dedicated to preservation of history and enrichment of contemporary life. Founded in 1879, when oldtimers traveled by wagon and camped near Sherman to reminisce about days of Republic of Texas, the frontier, and the southern Confederacy. Speakers at first meeting included Mrs. Julia Shannon King (daughter of donor of part of Sherman townsite) and Mrs.
Military
Perrin Air Force Base
Plans began in early 1941 for a U. S. Army Air Corps installation to be located in Grayson County. This 1,160-acre site was acquired in June, and Air Corps personnel began arriving in August. The base was to serve as a basic flight training facility. During its construction, the U. S. was drawn into World War II following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7.
History
Peter W. Grayson
Peter Wagener Grayson was born in 1788 in Bardstown, Virginia (later part of Kentucky) to Benjamin and Caroline (Taylor) Grayson, members of a politically prominent family. He served in the War of 1812 and worked in Louisville as an attorney, businessman and legislator. Well-spoken in legal matters and also a poet, he nevertheless amassed substantial debts and privately combated mental illness.
History
Pilot Grove
Founded in early 1850s. On Bonham-McKinney Stage Line. Called Lick Skillet; renamed, 1858, for J. P. Dumas' Ranch. Site of Lee-Peacock feud, 1865-1871, between ex-Confederate Capt. Bob Lee with his gold and Union supporter Lewis Peacock. Although Lee was killed in 1865, his followers carried on the fight until Peacock was shot.
Industry & Science
Pioneer Cotton Seed Oil Mill
Here the Sherman Cotton Oil Company was created by John Clement Tassey between 1871-1879, to become, at one time, largest of its kind in the world. Company was at first housed in frame buildings. In 1891 a permanent building was erected; spacious engine room contained white marble slab floor, oak paneled walls, red brick fireplace of English design, and a carved oak staircase.
Industry & Science
Pool Manufacturing Company
Originally chartered September 20, 1909, as Sherman Overall Manufacturing Company. First machinery was secured from a glove manufacturer and placed in the Birge-Forbes Building on East Lamar Street. Company was purchased in August 1911, by R. F. Pool and son, Carl; in following years, expansion led to use of several separate buildings in downtown Sherman.
Civic & Local
Present Home of XXI Club
Founded Oct. 14, 1890, by ten early social leaders. A charter member, Texas Federation of Women's Clubs. Its 2-story brick hall, built 1896, was the first woman's clubhouse in Texas. Had facilities for music, drama, art. Gave Denison its first free public library, 1896-1935.
History
President T. Roosevelt's Visit to Grayson County
One of the most festive events in Sherman's early history, Theodore Roosevelt's 1905 appearance here marked the first visit of a president of the United States to Grayson County. Traveling to San Antonio to attend a reunion of the "Rough-Riders" -- his special troops in the Spanish-American War -- Roosevelt stopped first in Denison on that same day, April 5, and was there presented with a…
History
Preston Road/Shawnee Trail
In 1840, authorized by an 1838 act of the Congress of the Republic of Texas, Col. W. G. Cooke and the Texas First Infantry Regiment laid out a military road from Austin north through what became Dallas to the Holland Coffee Trading Post on Red River (later covered by Lake Texoma).
Architecture
R. N. Younger Home
Victorian home built 1889 by Dr. R. N. Younger, church, banking and school leader. Southern exposure in 10 of 12 rooms and halls. Fine beveled mirrors in 3 of 6 hand-carved mantels. Bought 1923 by Sullivans, noted teachers, heirs of first owner of the site. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
History
Roberts House
Connecticut native Charles Nathan Roberts (1836-1920) moved to Arkansas prior to the Civil War. He served as a captain in the Confederate Army, and after the war he married Emma Royston. By 1876 they had moved to Sherman, where Roberts established a retail hardware business, purchased this property, and built a small cottage for his family.
History
Sadler Cemetery
This land was already in use as a burial ground known as Bethlehem Cemetery when it was officially dedicated in county records in 1884. Bethlehem Church, the source of the original name, was originally across the road before the congregation disbanded. In 1884, S. M. and Maggie Lester conveyed nearly four acres to trustees R. L. Belsher, H. C. Hall, and B. S. Hackleman.
History
Saint John Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
This church, organized in 1875 as Saint John Christian Methodist Episcopal (CME) Chapel, held its initial services in a sanctuary located in a local community of freedmen known as 'Brushtown'. The Rev. E.W. Moseley (1854-1911) served as its first pastor. The church relocated here in 1912 and in 1926 contractors J.A.