History
Howe Lodge No. 430, A. F. & A.M.
Constituted on June 5, 1875, this lodge was organized in the early Grayson County community of Farmington (5 mi. SW). Members voted to move the lodge to Howe in 1887, after the earlier settlement was bypassed by the railroad. In Howe, the first lodge hall was constructed above the Early Methodist Church Chapel. Later facilities were built as the lodge grew.
History
J. K. Miller House
Pioneer home of James Kinsey Miller and wife Orrena (Tabor), who came to Texas from North Carolina in 1852, settling in 1860 in area of later Denison. About 1866 Miller and his sons built 2-room dogtrot house of oak logs over stone cellar with gun ports for defense in Indian attacks. Later additions made the house more livable.
History
Jabez and Harriet Haning
Jabez Haning (1827-1883) came to Grayson County with his family in 1846. In the 1850s Jabez Haning obtained a grant of 320 acres of land from the Peters colony. His land was located about nine miles south of the town of Sherman. Harriet Campbell (1834-1880) and Jabez Haning were married in 1854 and established a farm. In 1873 the Houston & Texas Central Railway established a line south of Sherman.
History
James P. Dumas
(1820-1875) Born in South Carolina. In 1841 married May Thompson and moved to the Republic of Texas. In his capacity as surveyor, he helped map land that became a section of Dallas. Moved from Collin to Grayson County just before Texas joined the Union. Fought in Mexican War, 1846. Was appointed surveyor for Grayson County. Later came to own famous "Sister Grove" farm.
History
Jesse Elvis Hendricks Log Cabin
A native of Missouri, Jesse Elvis Hendricks (1837-1920) came to Grayson County in 1846. In 1863-64, he built this log home five miles southeast of this site. It was originally a one-room cabin with a loft, but Hendricks and his wife, Susan Matilda (Dumas), added more rooms about 1870 after the birth of their fourth child. The Hendricks' log cabin was moved to this site and restored in 1978.
History
Jesse P. Loving
(1836-1919) Missouri native Jesse "Jess" P. Loving came to Texas with his family in 1847. They settled first near relatives in Denton County, and moved to Sherman in Grayson County in 1852. Loving married Lydia Ellen Bomar in 1859. A Confederate veteran, he became a prominent civic leader, serving multiple terms as county treasurer and state representative.
History
Joseph G. McCoy, Promoter of Chisholm Trail
(1837-1915) Livestock broker from Illinois, whose pioneering in cattle markets helped Texas rebuild the economy which had been wrecked in 1861-1865 by Civil War. Cattle had increased greatly in wartime. Texas had no market; long drives were necessary, so that until Texas could get better railroads her $5 longhorns could be sold in the north at $25 to $30 or more.
History
Judge C. C. Binkley
(January 12, 1826 - March 15, 1886) Christopher Columbus Binkley came to Texas in 1852 and became a law partner of Sherman's first mayor. He served as district judge from 1870 to 1874 and Republican national committeeman for many years.
History
Kentucky Town
When first settled in 1830s was known as Annaliza. Renamed by Kentucky emigrants in 1858. Unique layout gave town protection against Indian attacks. On freight and stage routes. "Sacred Harp," a robust frontier gospel style of singing and composition, began here. During Civil War was Quantrill gang rendezvous.
History
Kidd-Key College and Music Conservatory
Established in 1875 as North Texas Female College, a finishing school for young ladies, and operated by North Texas Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Recharted 1919 as a junior college and music conservatory; renamed in memory of the famed educator, Mrs. Lucy Ann Kidd-Key, school president, 1888 to 1916. Educational program emphasized music, literature and the fine arts.
Nature
Lake Texoma
Completed 1944, Texoma is today the second largest lake in Texas and the eleventh largest reservoir in capacity in the United States. Its main purposes are flood control, power generation, and recreation. Lake Texoma was promoted largely through the efforts of Sam Rayburn (1882-1961), noted speaker of the house who represented District 4 in Congress for 49 years.
History
Lee Simmons
(1873-1957) Ran for sheriff at request of citizens of Denison. Elected in 1912 and served two years. Was appointed by Governor Pat Neff to special commission in 1920's to inspect Texas prison system; named by Governor Dan Moody to prison board, 1928; In 1930 became general manager of prison system, where he made an outstanding record. Organized prison rodeo.
Architecture
Lone Star Masonic Lodge No. 403, A. F. & A. M.
Organized a year after Denison was founded, Lone Star Masonic Lodge was chartered June 6, 1874. Meetings were held in several locations before the construction of this lodge hall. The northern half of the building was erected in 1900 and the southern portion in 1915. A bracketed eave dominates the top of the brick structure. The lodge hall was dedicated on the night of Dec.
Architecture
Lyon House
Built before 1897, this Victorian house was designed by German-born John Tollouch and occupied by hardware merchant George E. Hardwicke (1855-1923) until 1899. The property was purchased in 1902 by Dupont Lyon (1876-1946), then an officer in the U. S. Army. He became a dairy farmer and lumberman after settling here, and served as mayor of Sherman (1913-15).
Civic & Local
Mame Roberts
(Aug. 19, 1883 - Dec. 24, 1976) The daughter of James M. and Martha Sue (Baxter) Roberts, Mame Roberts lived her entire life in or near the community of Howe. Largely self-taught, she worked as a substitute teacher in the lower grades at the Howe Public Schools in the early 1900s before turning to her life's work-promoting civic improvements and beautification.
History
Mantua Masonic Lodge No. 209, A. F. & A. M.
The organizational meeting for this Masonic lodge was held on Feb. 7, 1857, on the second story of H.N. Walcott's store building in the village of Mantua (2 mi. SW). With district deputy grand master J.J. Harrison officiating, the first meeting was attended by J.M. Enloe, W.A. Portman, J.L. Leslie, W.M. Akens, A.J. McDonough, A.C. White, H.N. Walcott, J.L. Lovejoy, G.W. Strother, and J.S. Stewart.
Architecture
Martindale-Lackey-Hudgins House
Tinsmith and later volunteer fireman Ott Lackey and his wife, Vesta, lived in this house in the early 20th century. It is believed that Lackey's stepfather, David Martindale, built the house around 1905. In 1946, Andrew and Ileta Hudgins purchased the home. Anther Hudgins was employed by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, whose presence in the area led to Whitewright's 1878 establishment.
History
Mary Florence Cowell
(November 10, 1860 - July 13, 1940) Mary Florence (Tinsman) Cowell and her husband S. B. Cowell came to Texas from Missouri in 1900. Mrs. Cowell was a member of the P.E.O. Sisterhood, a philanthropic educational organization founded in 1869 at Wesleyan College in Iowa and dedicated to educational opportunities for women. Her friend Dora Hallock, P.E.O.
Architecture
Masonic Temple 1924
Travis Lodge No. 117, A. F. & A. M., was chartered in 1852. This site was acquired in 1916, although this classical revival temple was not built until 1924. Designed by local architects John Tulloch and the firm of Clyce & Rolfe, the building features giant order columns and portico, fifteen over fifteen windows, and a segmental arch entry pediment.
History
Mattie Davis Lucas
(January 12, 1869 - October 27, 1936) Martha Ora "Mattie" Davis was born in Mississippi and moved to Texas as an infant. She earned a teaching certificate in 1884 and in 1889 married William H. Lucas. Active in civic organizations and women's clubs, Mattie spearheaded many civic improvements in Grayson County, including the establishment of a Carnegie library, home front war work, and the…
Architecture
Mayes House
Architect Donald Mayes (1914-1966) designed and lived in this house with his wife, Rose Marie (Riddle) (1918-2008), whom he married in 1940. In addition to this home, he designed several others in the Edgewood addition, as well as banks, schools, First Presbyterian Church, Grayson County sub-courthouse and dozens of other residences in Denison.
History
Merchants and Planters National Bank
One of the oldest banks in North Texas. Replaced Sherman's "Pecan Tree Bank"; for 22 years traders hung saddlebags filled with gold on tree's branches. Bank was founded in 1872 with $150,000 capital when city was 26 years old. Promoted growth of Sherman and was hub of North Texas area and Indian Territory, serving ranchers, farmers, traders. Became national bank in 1884. First president was C. C.
History
Metz House
Edward Metz (1854-1913) came to Texas from Michigan as a young man to join his brother, Charles, in a leather goods business. In the 1870s, they built a profitable trade, buying buffalo hides and other furs from Indian tribes in Oklahoma to sell to eastern markets. Metz is credited with helping keep peace between the Indians and settlers in Grayson County.
History
Miller's Spring
On homesite bought Oct. 15, 1866, by J. K. Miller (1826-1908), this spring supplied his household, neighbors, travelers on nearby ferry road. Civic -minded Miller gave alternate business area lots to the city of Denison; also sites for each early church, first public school, Forest Park.
Transport
Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad
In 1865 the Union Pacific Railway southern branch was incorporated to build a railroad from the St. Louis-Kansas City area to the Gulf of Mexico. In 1870, with construction completed to the border of Indian Territory, the line was renamed the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad. This title was often shortened to M-K-T, which led to the familiar nickname by with the line is best known -- "The Katy.