Architecture
Samuel E. and Mary C. Marshall House
Civil War veteran Sam Marshall (1838-1911), his wife, Mary (1840-1924), and their family came from Kentucky to Grayson County in the late 1860s and moved to the new railroad town of Whitewright by 1880. After achieving success with their land investments and commercial businesses, the Marshalls built this Queen Anne Free Classic house in 1899-1900.
History
Sanborn Ranch
Established in late 1870's by H. B. Sanborn, one of the major promoters of barbed wire. Ranch (a showplace) was first large area in Texas to be fenced with barbed wire -- a model demonstration project, contributing to decline of open-range west. In 1888, Sanborn founded city of Amarillo and thereafter sold ranch. (1967)
History
Sand Springs
A noted watering place on pioneer trails, known as early as 1840 to settlers and prospectors who camped near the strong currents of water boiling up at the foot of a rocky bluff. The sandstone of the bluff's face became an inscription rock, in which travelers carved names or initials and dates of their visits, sometimes to assure friends or relatives who were to follow later over the same trail.
History
Sanford Homeplace (Ghost Town)
Confederate veteran Thomas Jefferson Sanford and his wife Nannie (Johnson) bought 300 acres including this site in July 1871. Their children, William Robert and Oscar Thomas, lived on the land with Oscar's wife Sarah Jane (Brown). When Ambrose Bible established a townsite in 1901, the Sanfords sold a portion of their property for the railroad right-of-way.
Entertainment & Sports
Sherman Little Theater (The Sherman Community Players)
In the early 1920s, as the Little Theater movement was developing in Texas, a group of Sherman citizens formed a community theater to present dramatic productions to local audiences. In December 1925, Sherman joined the growing ranks of Texas cities with a Little Theater group. Architect Rollin M.
Industry & Science
Sherman Manufacturing Company
Sherman Seamless Bag Mill was founded here in 1891, to serve the cotton industry of North Central Texas. Elected to board of directors on March 18, 1891, were C. A. Andrews, Edward Eastburn, W. C. Eubank, Thomas Forbes, J. F. Jaques, J. C. Jones, Tom Randolph, Z. E. Raney, and J. C. Tassey to serve as chairman. Elegant cornerstone was shipped from Cromwell, Mass.
History
Sherman Riot of 1930
The Sherman Riot of 1930 was one of a number of major incidents of racial violence that occurred in the United States at the onset of the Great Depression. On May 3, 1930, George Hughes (b. 1889), a black farm laborer, was accused of assaulting a white woman during a wage dispute.
History
Site of Binkley Hotel
Site of Binkley Hotel In the 1870s, a joint stock company was organized to construct a hotel in Sherman. One of the largest stockholders was Judge C.C. Binkley, a community leader for whom the hotel would be named. Binkley was also president of the Merchants and Planters (M & P) Bank, established in Sherman in 1872.
History
Site of Campus of Old Columbia College
In 1889 an association composed of merchants and landowners from the Van Alstyne area saw the need for quality education and established Columbia College. The school served all grades through college level, emphasizing vocational training as well as the arts and sciences. The institution was housed in a three-story frame structure on this four-acre fenced site.
History
Site of Captain LeTellier's School
This school for boys, founded in 1871, was officially known as the Sherman Private School, but informally as "The Cap'n's. It was established and run by former Confederate army Captain John H. LeTellier (1842-1913), who was born and educated (at Bethany College) in Virginia. Pupils who attended his school, housed in a large frame building, were mainly boys, but a few younger girls were admitted.
History
Site of Early Grayson County Settlement - Whitemound
Named for two large white mounds of rock nearby. Settled 1849 by Henry Lackey and his 9 children, from Missouri. Town grew up around A. S. Lackey grist mill. It had a post office, churches, businesses, several doctors, and Bosworth Academy. Most residents moved away after Cotton Belt Railroad bypassed this site in 1888.
History
Site of Fort Johnson
Established by William G. Cooke in 1840 as a part of the defense of the Military Road from Red River to Austin. Named in honor of Colonel Francis W. Johnson (1799-1888). Commander of the Texas army at the capture of San Antonio, December 10, 1835. Place of rendezvous for the Snively Expedition which set out April 25, 1843. The settlement in the vicinity was known as Georgetown.
Entertainment & Sports
Site of Old Sherman Opera House
Formerly a 3-story Victorian structure with twin cupolas. Built by Capt. L. F. Ely, who made the bricks in his city factory. Lavish interior had carpeted aisle, damask curtains and red plush seats. Benches in economy section were called the "Buzzard Roost". From its completion (1881) until closing (1918), it helped make Sherman a cultural center. First show was operetta "The Mikado".
History
Site of Saint Francis Xavier Academy
Founded in 1876 by the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur, Belgium, in association with St. Patrick's Catholic Church, St. Francis Xavier Academy was the first of six Texas schools organized by the Sisters. After purchasing a house, Sisters Augustine, Adelphine, Anne, and Benedictine opened their doors to 46 day students and 8 boarders, all girls, from Texas and the Indian Territory for the study of…
History
Site of Terrell High School
Churches and private schools provided early educational training for African American students in Denison until 1886, when Anderson Public High School opened at 530 W. Bond Street. To meet the need for improved and centralized facilities, district trustees opened a new school at this site in 1927. William R. Wims served as the first principal for Terrell School, named in honor of Augustus H.
History
Site of the Trading Post of Holland Coffee
Established about 1837 for trade with the Indians of the Red River region and the western plains. Here many white captives of the Red Men were redeemed. From its vicinity the Snively Expedition set out for New Mexico on April 25, 1843. Abandoned after Coffee's death in 1846.
History
Sophia Porter
(1813-1899) Settled 1839 at Glen Eden, a site now under Lake Texoma, north of here. Husband, Holland Coffee, early trader, built fine home, welcomed 1845-60, U. S. Army officers including Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant. During Civil War, wined and dined passing Federal scouts, found out they were seeking Col. Jas. Bourland, Confederate defender of Texas frontier.
Architecture
St. Mary's Catholic Church
St. Mary's Catholic Church The first recorded mass in Sherman took place in 1872, and three years later Bishop Claude Dubuis of the diocese of Galveston created a parish here and sent the Rev. Louis Granger to serve as first pastor. A wooden chapel housed worship services until this church building was completed in 1906. St.
History
The Civilian Conservation Corps at Loy Park
Grayson County officials became aware of a growing need for a public recreation facility for the area's approximately 65,500 residents in 1930. Three years later the federal government agreed to create a small lake on land provided by the county. The county commissioners court purchased a site 2.
Architecture
The Fitzgerald Home
Built on 800-acre farm near Bells by Geo. S. Fitzgerald, who moved with family from Virginia to Texas in 1857. He cut building timber on his farm in 1859. On return from Confederate army he erected this house in 1866. He was prosperous and esteemed, serving as a Grayson County Commissioner from 1880 to 1884. House was framed of pegged oak logs. Main rooms are 20 by 20 feet, joined by 12-foot hall.
History
The Great Sherman Storm of 1896
In the late afternoon of Friday, May 15, 1896, a disastrous tornado swept Sherman, killing about 66 persons, injuring many others, and causing severe property damage. The twister touched down near here, then cut a 2-mile-long path through the city. The same funnel and several smaller ones struck at other locations in the area. Most of the storm's victims were buried in this cemetery.
History
The Rev. John Silliman Moore
The Rev. John Silliman Moore Born in Mississippi in 1840, John Silliman Moore attended college in Georgia before serving in the Civil War, where he was wounded at Seven Pines, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg.
History
The Reverend J.H. Reynolds
Kentucky native John Humphreys Reynolds served as a Methodist circuit rider in Tennessee, where he married and began a family. In 1879, he moved his ministry to Texas, working to serve churches in the north central part of the state. In Sherman, he organized the Willow Street Methodist Church, later named Key Memorial for Bishop J.S. Key.
History
Thomas Jefferson Shannon
(1808-1864) Thomas J. Shannon came to Texas in 1839 and settled in what became Grayson County in 1845. Elected first Grayson County representative to the Texas Legislature, he worked for relocation of the county seat to the present site of Sherman. Shannon earned the name "Father of Sherman" after donating land for the townsite. His daughter Julia named the first streets.
History
Thomas V. Munson Home
Home built by world-famed scientist. Munson (1843-1913) was born in Illinois; educated in Kentucky; married Ellen Scott Bell, 1870; had eleven children.Settled in Denison 1876, and developed extensive nurseries.Built this Victorian home of brick with wood trim in 1887.