History
Diamond Horse Ranch
Founded 1850 by James R. and John Diamond, joined later by their brother George, who had founded paper that today is Houston "Post." Station, 1858-1861, on Butterfield Stage Line. The Diamond brothers were political leaders and active in Texas frontier defense and Masonry. James is buried here.
History
Dickson, James Nelson
JAMES NELSON DICKSON (1890-1986) BORN AND EDUCATED IN GRAYSON COUNTY, JAMES NELSON DICKSON BEGAN HIS LONG ASSOCIATION WITH COUNTY GOVERNMENT IN 1914 AS DEPUTY TAX ASSESSOR. FOLLOWING A 1930 COURTHOUSE FIRE, HE WORKED TO REPLACE DESTROYED RECORDS, INCLUDING IMPORTANT SCHOOL BOND PAPERS.
History
Dorchester School
The community of Dorchester was founded on the railroad during the early years of the twentieth century. Two one-room country schools were established to provide for the education of the children of the families who moved to the area. The Dorchester School came into being about 1907 with the consolidation of these schools.
Architecture
E. M. Kohl Building
Ernst Martin Kohl (1857-1935), former German Navy captain who came to Denison in 1885, built the first floor of this structure in 1893 to house a grocery store and saloon. He added the top three floors in 1909-11 as his family's residence. In the 1930s, this building became the Traveler's Hotel, drawing business from the nearby railroad district. Purchased in 1968 by Mr. and Mrs.
Military
Eleventh Texas Cavalry
In May 1861, a frontier unit was organized at Camp Reeves in Sherman. Drawing volunteers from Cooke, Grayson, Hopkins, Red River, Fannin, Collin, Titus and Bowie counties, the regiment began with nearly 900 men and officers. Initially led by the noted Col. William Cocke Young, the unit fought its first battles in Indian Territory, now Oklahoma, securing the territory for the Confederacy.
History
Elliott Cemetery
David Elliott (d. 1909), for whom this cemetery is named, was a pioneer settler in the southern part of Grayson County. Born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in 1817, he joined the crew of a boat on the Mississippi River at an early age. He later served as a riverboat captain before his ordination as a Baptist minister. In 1847, two years after Texas became a state, the Rev. Mr.
History
Everheart-Canaan Cemetery
Emanuel and Rachel Montgomery Everheart arrived here in 1848 with their son, William, and members of her family. By 1850, the Everhearts owned 3,346 acres, including this land. Family history holds that the oldest burials here (in the northwest corner) date prior to 1853 and are those of the Everhearts' slaves.
Architecture
Federal Building (United States Courthouse)
After the Sherman Division of the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Texas was established in 1902, plans were made to construct this building to serve the court and the postal service. U. S. Treasury Department Supervising Architect John Knox Taylor designed this Spanish Colonial revival-beaux arts style building.
History
Fifrty Feet North to Grave of Collin McKinney
(April 17, 1766 - September 8, 1861) A pioneer leader of north Texas and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, Collin McKinney was born in New Jersey, a son of Scottish immigrant parents. In 1780 the family moved to Kentucky and in 1824 McKinney migrated across the Red River and settled near present Texarkana.
History
Fink
A community grew up near Fort Johnson on the Texas Military Road (also known as the Shawnee Trail) in the 1840s. Earlier called Georgetown and Reevesville, the settlement became known as Fink when a post office (500 feet north) was established in 1897 and named for Fiedrick Finke (1858-1920), a German immigrant who had come to Grayson County in 1884. The post office was discontinued in 1908.
History
First Site of City of Sherman
When Grayson County was created on March 17, 1846, by the first Legislature of the State of Texas, the act named the county seat in honor of Sidney Sherman (1805-73), an heroic leader at the Battle of San Jacinto and in the affairs of the Republic of Texas. Commissioners to select possible courthouse sites within 3 miles of center of the county were Micajah Davis, George C.
Transport
First Texas Interurban
Electric railways (trolleys) provided convenient travel between many Texas cities for more than forty years. The first Interurban Line was established in Grayson County, connecting the cities of Sherman and Denison. Founded in 1900 by Fred Fitch and John P. Crerar, the Denison and Sherman Railway began operations on May 1, 1901, with a single 10.5-mile track.
Civic & Local
Forest Park
The city of Denison's first public park was established in 1872. The town was founded in that same year as a terminus for the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas (KAYT) Railroad and began as a melting pot for many different cultures. Originally conceived by Robert S.
History
Fred Douglass School
Named for the famed 19th century African American orator Frederick Douglass, the Fred Douglass School was created as one of Sherman's first three public schools in 1879. Two houses one block west of this site were rented for the education of the area's African American children. In the first years of the Fred Douglass School the number of students was about 85.
History
George R. Reeves
(Jan. 3, 1826-Sept. 5, 1882) Man for whom 2600-sq. mi. West Texas county was named. Born in Tennessee. Married Jane Moore in 1844 in Arkansas. Came to Texas about 1845. Was Grayson County tax collector, 1848-1850; sheriff, 1850-1854. Served as State Representative, 1855-1861. Commissioned Confederate army officer, 1863. Participant in Battle of Chickamauga and Hundred Days Atlanta Campaign.
History
Grayson County
In the mainstream of Texas history for more than a century, this area was, in 1837, the site of Colonel Holland Coffee's Trading Post, a landmark structure at the Preston Bend crossing of the Red River. It was a focal point, beginning in 1842, for settlers of the important Peters' colony. In 1846 the county was created from part of Fannin County by the 1st State Legislature.
History
Grayson County Poor Farm
FROM 1877-1963, THE GRAYSON COUNTY POOR FARM WAS A REFUGE TO MANY CITIZENS, INCLUDING THE ELDERLY WHO LACKED CAREGIVERS, ORPHANS, WIDOWS STILL RAISING CHILDREN, AND MENTALLY ILL INDIVIDUALS. RESIDENTS GENERALLY COMPLETED DAILY TASKS TO ENSURE THE PROPER FUNCTIONING OF THE FARM, AS IT PROVIDED THE RESIDENTS WITH FOOD AND THE COUNTY WITH SOME INCOME.
Military
Grayson County, C. S. A.
(Star and Wreath) Military, defense and supply center in Civil War. 11th Texas Cav. Regt., raised in this and area counties, May 1861, removed immediate danger from North by capture Forts Washita, Coeb, Arbuckle in Indian Territory. Beef for these posts was supplied by local contractor. Men and boys served in 16th, 20th Tex. Cav. Regts., the Border Regt. and State Militia. The 9th Tex. Cav. Regt.
History
Greenwood Cemetery
Burial site for early settlers of Fannin and Grayson counties. Commonly called "Jenkins Cemetery" as access was through John J. Jenkins' farm. First usage date is unknown; oldest stones have had lettering erased by weather. Earliest dated stone is for Jas. P. Montgomery, who died in 1869. On March 31, 1882, W. S. Roddy formally deeded the cemetery site in trust for local citizens.
History
Hagerman
In 1904 James Patillo (J. P.) Smith platted streets here in a 10-acre wheat field and established the town of Hagerman. Named for railroad attorney James P. Hagerman, the town consisted of 250 residents, a cotton gin, school, church, post office, railroad depot, and several businesses by 1910. The town prospered and grew to contain three churches and a three-teacher school.
History
Hall Cemetery
Located on land patented by Anderson White (1801-85), on certificate issued April 23, 1850, by Peters colony, an immigration project which had received a large land grant in this region from the Republic of Texas. Burial plot was begun Jan. 6, 1857, upon the death of White's daughter, Sarah White Haning, wife of Aaron Haning. One week later, on Jan.
Architecture
Hall Furniture Building
Hall Furniture Building Former Missourian and Civil War veteran Rufus Gaines Hall established a Sherman dry goods store in 1868. The company prospered, in part because it sent 30 notion wagons to sell supplies to settlers on rural farms across 13 counties in North Texas. Hall's son, Dr. Hugh Logan Hall, joined the firm in 1872. In 1892, Dr. Hall and his father bought this property.
History
Hendrix Cemetery
A native of North Carolina, John Hendrix (1798-1893) came to Texas in 1846 with his wife, Ruth (Strader) (1804-1882), their children, and seven other families. Their first camp in the area is marked by a large boulder in this cemetery. Hendrix ran successful farming and nursery operations and became a prominent and influential citizen of Grayson County.
History
Hiram Lodge No. 433, A. F. & A. M.
Chartered on June 7, 1875, Hiram Lodge first met in a building on the original Collinsville Town Square. Since 1881, when that building burned, the organization has met in six locations and shared facilities with local businesses and a school. In 1881, when the Texas & Pacific Railroad came through the area, Hiram Lodge, along with most of the town, relocated to be near the railroad tracks.
History
Home County of Allison Mayfield, Conservationist
Opened law practice here, 1884. Became an assistant attorney general of Texas, 1893. Won election, 1897, to Railroad Commission; served 26 years -- 16 years as chairman. The commission had been created in 1891 to regulate shipping rates and practices. In his term as chairman, oil and gas regulation -- a major responsibility -- began with jurisdiction over pipelines, 1917.