History
Regulators of Goliad County
When the Civil War ended in April 1865, many Texans returned to find their farms and ranches neglected, their cattle running wild and unbranded. The Federal troops sent to occupy Texas in June 1865 could not control the widespread cattle thieving and general lawlessness of the Reconstruction Period. Gen. J. J.
History
Santa Anna's Surrender Ratified
Gen. Vicente Filasola, Second in Command of Mexican armies in Texas War for Independence, fled from area of his nation's defeat at San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Filasola's aim was to go back to Mexico with his army. After he had passed through Goliad, he was overtaken at Mujerero Creek (12 mi. SW) by Texan army couriers, Col. Ben Fort Smith and Capt. Henry Teal.
History
Site of Battle of El Perdido
During 1810 - 1819 efforts to expel Spain from Texas, a bloody clash occurred here on June 19, 1817, between the forces of Col. Antonio Martinez, last Spanish governor of Texas, and a Mexican Republican Army of invasion that was on its way to attack and capture La Bahia. Republicans had 42 men under Col. Henry Perry and Maj. James H. Gordon, former U.S.
History
Site of Dobskyville
After immigrating from Prussia to Texas in 1846, Fredrick and Auguste Wilhelmine Dobsky moved here with their family in 1847 to 800 acres they had bought from J.H. Davis. Following Fredrick's death in 1873 his son Adolph inherited the land. Adolph and his wife Rosalia farmed and ranched and reared a family here.
History
Site of Mission Nuestra Senora del Rosario
Established in 1754 for the Cujane Nation. Here faithful Franciscan missionaries attempted to Christianize and civilize the Indians of the region until 1794. (Goliad State Park, Goliad)
History
Site of the Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga
First established at the site of La Salle's fort on Garcitas Creek, Victoria County, among the Coco, Cujanes, Karankawa and other Indian tribes in 1722. Moved to Mission Valley, Victoria County, on the Guadalupe River among the Jaranames and Tamiques in 1726. Located on the present site in 1749 for the same Indian neophytes. Secularized in 1794.
Architecture
Stoddard-Collins House
A significant element in Goliad's architectural history, this house is one of the city's oldest structures. Although the exact date of construction has not been proven, documentary, architectural, and archeological evidence suggest it was built prior to 1847, perhaps as early as the 1820s. Pioneer settler Jessie W. Stoddard bought the property in 1847.
History
The Hanging Tree
Site for court sessions at various times from 1846 to 1870. Capital sentences called for by the courts were carried out immediately, by means of a rope and a convenient limb. Hangings not called for by regular courts occurred here during the 1857 "cart war"--a series of attacks made by Texas freighters against Mexican drivers along the Indianola - Goliad - San Antonio Road.
History
Weser
Many German and Polish immigrants came to Texas in the 19th century on a ship named "Weser." Arriving at the Port of Galveston, a number of the pioneer settlers made their way overland to this area, establishing a community in the 1850s and 1860s. By 1881, when a post office was granted, it was officially named Weser for the ship that had brought the immigrants to America.