History
Aranama College
Named for 18th century Indian converts of Mission Espiritu Santo de Zuniga. A men's college. Founded 1852 by Western Presbytery of Texas. Used buildings of old mission plus funds given by Goliad. Taught Latin, Greek, geography, surveying, bookkeeping, writing, reading, elementary and higher mathematics, English grammar and orthography.
History
Battle of Coleto and Goliad Massacre
After the fall of the Alamo, March 6, 1836, Colonel James Walker Fannin, with about 400 soldiers, mostly volunteers from the United States in the Texas War for Independence, was ordered by Texas General Sam Houston to retreat from Goliad to Victoria. March 19, the heavy Mexican force of General Urrea surrounded the withdrawing Texas contingent near Coleto Creek, and bitter fighting ensued.
Architecture
Brooking-Lipscomb-White House
Three early Goliad families are associated with this home. Bivian Brooking built the house before 1850. Dr. Leonidas S. Lipscomb (1827 - 1913) bought the property in 1879 from Brooking's children. In 1905 the house was purchased by Ruth P. and James A. White.
Transport
Cabeza Creek Crossing on the La Bahia-Bexar Road
The Cabeza Creek Crossing (1 mi. NW), a point on the San Antonio River tributary, is located on the La Bahía-Bexar road, a vital Texas transportation route. The crossing is on ranch property which belonged to Rafael Antonio Manchola, an alcalde of Goliad and state deputy of Coahuila y Tejas.
History
Cologne Community
Former slaves established the community of Cologne in an effort to provide safety and refuge from the general lawlessness and violence committed -- particularly against African Americans -- during the post-Civil War Reconstruction era. Freedmen Joseph Smith and George Washington had opened a freight and passenger business in Victoria after the Civil War.
History
Don Rafael Antonio Manchola
Early Goliad leader Rafael Antonio Manchola was born to a Spanish aristocratic family circa 1800. In 1822, he arrived in La Bahía, and two years later he wed María de Jesús de León, daughter of empresario Martín de León and Patricia de la Garza. Manchola served as attorney and business agent for de León and became one of the region's principal advocates for its citizens.
History
Elijah Ray House
A native of Alabama, Elijah Ray (1825 - 1902) first came to Texas in 1847. He purchased this property during the Civil War (1861-65) and built this home for his family. Like many early Texas dwellings, the structure has a central hallway and a two-story porch with decorative brackets. Elijah Ray's son George later acquired the homestead.
History
General Ignacio Zaragoza
(January 14, 1829 - September 8, 1862) Nacio en este lugar cuando se llamaba "Bahia del Espiritu Santo." En 1855, al mando de un ejercito de voluntarios Mexicanos, contribuyo a la derrota del dictador Santa Anna.
History
Goliad
One of the three first Texas municipalities. Old Aranama Indian village called Santa Dorotea by the Spanish. Presidio La Bahia and Mission Espiritu de Zuniga established 1749. Here early events leading to the Texas Revolution were expeditions of Magee-Gutierrez, 1812; Henry Perry, 1817; James Long, 1821 Name changed Feb. 4, 1829, from La Bahia (the Bay) to Goliad.
History
Goliad Advance-Guard
The "Goliad Advance-Guard" was created by the merger of two newspapers. The "Guard" began in 1867, when Richard Wayne Davis bought the "Intelligencer" and changed its name. His son, R. T. Davis, published the paper from 1871 until 1892. A young editor from Mississippi, J. A. White, began the "Advance" in 1905.
History
Goliad County
First known to Spanish settlers as Nuestra Senora de Loreto, later called La Bahia del Espiritu Santo. Established as a mission in 1749. Became a strategic fort under Spanish, Mexican, Texas occupancy, 1810 - 1821, 1835 - 1836. Name changed to Goliad and created a Mexican municipality in 1829. Scene of massacre of Fannin and his command in 1836.
Architecture
Goliad County Courthouse
Built 1894. Cost $67,888.95. Limestone and brick from 1870 courthouse were used in this, the fourth one built since county's creation in 1836. Used as hospital after 1902 cyclone. A 1942 storm tore off central clock tower. Enlarged in 1964. Preserving carved staircases, walnut wainscots. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964.
History
Goliad Lodge No. 94 A.F. & A.M.
First met on Aug. 18, 1851. Chartered Jan. 24, 1852. First worshipful master was A.H. Biscoe. All meetings have been held in this rubble stone building since it was erected in 1854. Post office and city hall occupied the first floor for many years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Goliad Memorial Auditorium
Completed in 1937, the Goliad Memorial Auditorium was built to commemorate the Texas Centennial. The 43rd State Legislature allocated $3 million for the Centennial and the 44th Legislature created the Commission of Control for the Texas Centennial celebrations to approve plans and funding.
History
Goliad Tornado of 1902
A cyclone, considered one of the two most disastrous in Texas history, struck Goliad on Sunday, May 18, 1902. The twister touched down on the south side of the San Antonio River at 3:35 p.m. Sounding like a heavily loaded freight train, the storm ripped a mile long, half-mile wide path across the northwest section of town, destroying over 100 homes and leaving an official death toll of 114.
History
J. W. Fannin
SOUTH SIDE OF MONUMENT: Erected in memory of J. W. Fannin and his comrades in arms April A.D. 1885 NORTH SIDE: Remember the Alamo, Remember Goliad EAST SIDE: Massacred March 27, A.D. 1836 WEST SIDE: Independence declared March 2, A.D. 1836, consummated April 21, A.D. 1836
History
John Mason Brewer
(March 24, 1896 - January 24, 1975) Distinguished African American scholar and writer, John Mason Brewer, preserved African American culture with his literary and historical work in the 20th century. Born on March 24, 1896, in Goliad, Brewer's parents, J.H. and Minnie T. Brewer, inspired his appreciation for scholarship and African American history.
History
Manuel Becerra
Born at Presidio La Bahía del Esp'ritu Santo in 1762, Manuel Becerra played a significant role in the settlement and politics of the region. Becerra and his wife, Juana María Cadena, and their two daughters, María Josefa and Gertrudis, were leading citizens of La Bahía.
History
Market House Museum
Site was dedicated to public use by City Ordinance No. 28, on Aug. 30, 1853. About 1871, market with 12 x2 4-ft. stalls was put up at cost of $550, and rented to sellers of meat and produce. In 1886 this became firehouse, with a meeting hall and a room for hook and ladder equipment. Bell bought 1890 for $45 rang night hours and sounded alarms.
History
Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga
(Mission of Our Lady of the Holy Spirit of Zuniga) Founded in 1722 by the Aguayo Expedition on "La Bahia del Espiritu Santo" (the Bay of the Holy Spirit), present Lavaca Bay. This mission reflects its former site in the popular name, "La Bahia". Its formal name (in part) honored Baltasar de Zuniga, Viceroy of New Spain.
History
Mission Nuestra Senora del Rosario
(Mission Our Lady of the Rosary) Founded in 1754 for the Cujane Indians. Capt. Manuel Ramirez de la Piszina, commander of nearby Presidio la Bahia, named this mission for his parish church in Spain, and Fray Juan Dios Camberos ministered to the first converts here. The Indians were taught crop-raising. In the years following, much livestock, including 30,000 head of cattle, belonged to Rosario.
History
Oak Hill Cemetery
The earliest headstone in this community burial ground marks the grave of Ann Elizabeth Hunter, who died in 1843. A city ordinance designated the site as Oak Hill Cemetery on January 10, 1854. Located in the part of Goliad called "College Hill", the cemetery contains almost 1,000 known graves. The city maintained the site until 1882, when the Oak Hill Cemetery Association was formed.
History
Pettus Cemetery
Virginia native John Freeman Pettus (b. 1808) came to Texas in the early 1820s as a member of Stephen F. Austin's first colony. During the Texas Revolution he served with Ben Milam in the Siege of Bexar and participated in the Battle of San Jacinto. Soon after moving his family to Goliad County about 1876, he chose this site near his home as the family burial ground.
History
Presidio de Nuestra Senora de Loreto de la Bahia
(Fort of Our Lady of Loreto of the Bay) One of the most historic Spanish forts in Texas. Popularly called Presidio la Bahia, it was founded on Espiritu Santo (present Lavaca) Bay in 1722. Twice moved, it was re-established here in 1749 to protect Espiritu Santo Mission (1/4 mi. NW). In the chapel is the statue of Our Lady of Loreto placed here in 1749.
History
Reed-McCampbell-Wiess Ranch Complex
Founded in 1869 by James D. Reed, this ranch also was owned by the Peninsula Company comprised of Thomas and William McCampbell and Pryor Lea. Laura (McCampbell) Wiess (d. 1942) inherited it in 1885. The complex, which features more than 25 structures, centers around this two-story house begun by Reed in the 1870s. Laura and her husband, Valentine, added its Queen Anne elements later.