History
Emil Weber House
Stonemason Emil Weber built this late Victorian residence in 1902 with the help of local craftsmen. Constructed of hand-hewn limestone and Texas yellow pine, and featuring 12-inch ceilings, it was designed as a wedding gift for his future bride Matilda Pauling Cehler. Notes in Weber's account book show that the house cost $1,338 to build.
History
Enchanted Rock
From its summit, in the fall of 1841, Captain John C. Hays, while surrounded by Comanche Indians who cut him off from his ranging company, repulsed the whole band and inflicted upon them such heavy losses that they fled. Marked by the State of Texas 1936
History
Engel Family
The Rev. August Engel (1818-1904), a circuit riding Methodist preacher and teacher, immigrated to Texas in 1846 from Germany. In 1859 he married Katharina Ernst (1837-1920). They had six children. August Engel served as postmaster for five years in Blanco County, and for 32 years at Cranes Mill in Comal County. He was succeeded as postmaster by his son August Engel, Jr.
Industry & Science
F. W. Arhelger Shop
Frederick William Arhelger, a second generation cabinetmaker and wheelwright, constructed this building in 1898 for use as a farm implement shop. Built of quarried limestone, it was designed to accommodate wagons and large farm equipment. The front ramp, double doors, and the absence of partitions provided maximum access to the interior.
History
Felix Van Der Stucken Home
The original one-story section of this residence was constructed by Felix Van Der Stucken (1833-1912) soon after he purchased the site in 1864. The two-story addition was completed later. A native of Belgium, Van Der Stucken operated a nearby steam-powered mill, later known as Reliance Roller Mills.
History
Fredericksburg College Building
Early hall of higher learning, erected by the German Methodist Mission Conference of Texas and Louisiana (organized 1874 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South). Fredericksburg College at its peak had 250 students-- some from far away as Galveston. Many local boys walked 10 miles daily to obtain education here. The college operated only from 1876 to 1884.
History
Fredericksburg Lodge No. 794, A.F. & A.M.
traces its history to 1897 when a warrant of dispensation was granted by the Grand Lodge of Texas Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The first worshipful master, D. C. Darroch, was installed by Neal Caldwell, deputy district grand master of the 47th Masonic District. Members joined from willow Creek, Kerrville, and Johnson City, and first met in the Schandua Building.
Civic & Local
Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein
The Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein was established in 1871 in the tradition of German gymnastic clubs. Initially located at a site nearby, the club opened with a gymnastics school and a 9-pin bowling alley. In 1872 the club held the first of its annual Christmas celebrations and in 1883 sponsored a fire brigade which became the City Volunteer Fire Department.
History
Gillespie County
The trails of roving Indians crossed these hills settled by German pioneers in 1846. A group of Mormons settled at Zodiac in 1847. Created February 23, 1848. Organized June 5, 1848. Named for Richard Addison Gillespie, a Texan from 1837, a defender of the Texas frontier, and captain in the Mexican War who fell at Monterrey, September 22, 1846. Fredericksburg, the county seat.
History
Gold-Grobe House
Built in 1902 by Peter Gold, Sr., this house was originally a one-story center passage plan structure constructed of native limestone. Friedrich William Grobe bought the house in 1914. In 1916 he added a second floor and rear wing using concrete blocks manufactured by the local Basse Brothers Cement Yard.
History
Gruen-Doebbler Homestead
GRUEN-DOEBBLER HOUSE THE EARLIEST PART OF THIS TWO-STORY, SIDE-GABLED STRUCTURE WAS BUILT IN THE LATE 1800s BY EARLY AREA PIONEER LUDWIG DOEBBLER. HE CONSTRUCTED THE HOUSE OUT OF NATIVE RUBBLE LIMESTONE FOR HIS SON-IN-LAW, FRIEDRICH GRUEN, AND HIS DAUGHTER, MATHILDA, WHOSE 1937 MEMOIR IS AN IMPORTANT HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF THE LIFE OF A PIONEER WOMAN.
History
Guenther's Live Oak Mill
By 1848, Carl Hilmar Guenther (1826-1902), master millwright, had completed his apprenticeship in Germany and immigrated to the U.S. In search of opportunities and a good grist mill site, he journeyed south from Wisconsin to New Orleans, and then west to Texas. In 1851 he bought land and water rights on Live Oak Creek near Fredericksburg.
History
Heinrich Bierschwale House
This home was built in 1872-73 by German immigrant Heinrich Bierschwale, a teacher in the rural schools of Gillespie and Mason counties. He later served as county and district clerk in Gillespie County. The two-story stone vernacular house features a one-story full facade front porch with bracketed columns and six-over-six windows. Bierschwale and his wife Margarete had nine children.
History
Heinrich Kensing_Johanna Borchers Kensing
Heinrich Kensing (November 11, 1822 - July 26, 1865) Johanna Borchers Kensing (August 4, 1823 - July 29, 1865) German immigrants, arriving in Texas in 1845, and migrating to Gillespie County by 1850. In 1862 the Kensings moved into Mason County (about 7 miles NW). On July 26, 1865, the couple were attacked by Indians near Platt Kopf (1.5 miles N).
History
Henry Basse House
Descended from the Rev. Henrich S. W. Basse, a Lutheran pastor sent by the Adelsverein to serve German settlers in this area, Henry and Hugo Basse operated the Basse Brothers Cement Yard and created the Basse block, a popular building material in this region. This house, built in 1918-1920 by Henry Basse, is a testament to his business success and is a fine example of Basse block construction.
History
Henry Cordes House
Fredericksburg native Henry Cordes (b. 1861) had this limestone residence constructed in 1893. Originally a three-room structure, it is a good example of the quality craftsmanship practiced by early area stonemasons. the grounds include a smokehouse, a tankhouse and a stone cistern. Cordes worked for many years in the Reliance Roller Mill and in the Stein Ice House.
History
Hill Crest Cemetery
This graveyard is closely associated with the Morris Ranch, an early international race horse breeding and training facility in Gillespie county. Charles Morris, whose Uncle Francis owned the ranch, served as its first general manager and was assisted by his brothers and sisters.
History
Hoerster Building
Built at the turn of the century for J. A. Hoerster, this structure has housed a number of businesses over the years and was later owned by the Wieser family for over 52 years. The limestone Victorian commercial building exhibits its original storefront with narrow first-story columns and second-floor balcony with balustrade and bracketed columns.
Architecture
Holy Ghost (Heilige Geist) Evangelical Protestant Church
This congregation traces its origins to the first Protestant services held in Fredericksburg by the Rev. Henry Basse in 1846. Members worshiped at the old Vereins Kirche until 1888 when Carl Priess gave this lot for a new building. The first portion of the structure was dedicated in 1893. The tower houses an original bell from the Vereins Kirche.
Architecture
Hugo and Anna Gold Crenwelge House
Jacob Gold, Jr. (d. 1914) gave this property to his daughter, Anna (1878-1957), and her husband Hugo Crenwelge (1877-1948) in 1902. Three years later the Crenwelges built this home. Constructed of hand-cut limestone quarried near the site, the house features large ashlar blocks and lintels, a two-level gallery, and jig-sawn wood trim.
History
J. W. and Ruth Baines House
J.W. and Ruth Baines House Joseph W. and Ruth (Huffman) Baines, maternal grandparents of President Lyndon Baines Johnson, built their home here in 1904, following Joseph's service in the Civil War and a career as a journalist, Texas Secretary of State, legislator and attorney.
History
Jakob (Jacob) Brodbeck
Teacher and inventor Jakob Brodbeck (1821-1910) conceived the idea of building an airship while sailing to the U.S. In 1846. Born and educated as a teacher in Plattenhardt, Germany, he began teaching in the kingdom of Württemberg, where he worked on a perpetual motion clock for the king and tried to improve everyday living with labor-saving inventions.
History
Johann Joseph Knopp House
Built of native stone in 1871, soon after Knopp and his wife Katherina (Stein) came to America. From Germany they traveled six weeks by clipper ship to Indianola and by oxcart to Fredericksburg. They bought this homesite for $70 in gold. Knopp was a stonemason; family farm, a mile from this home, was worked by the wife and children. (Of the 15 children born to the Knopps, nine reached adulthood.
History
John O. Meusebach
(1812-1897) To be a Texan, Meusebach gave up title of baron in 1845. As commissioner-general, German Emigration Company, he founded Fredericksburg in 1846 as gateway to Fisher-Miller land grant, hunting ground of the Comanche. By emptying his firearms, he won trust of Indians and made treaty to provide for unmolested settlement. Indians called him "El Sol Colorado" (The Red Sun).
History
John Peter Tatsch Home, 1856
Built by Tatsch (1822-1907), using local stone. A cabinet-maker and turner, did woodwork himself. At first floored only front rooms, using wide boards. North front room had the only fireplace. Rear gallery kitchen, fireplace and oven were added later. Tatsch, from Germany, during Civil War was a minute man. Wife was Maria Elizabeth (1828-1885).