History
Adolph Gold House
Local banker Adolph Gold (1869-1931), one of the developers of Fredericksburg's first subdivision in 1900, had this house built for his family in the subdivision in 1901. The house remained in the Gold family until 1988.
Architecture
Albert Lee Patton Building
Missouri native Albert Lee Patton (1851-1934), trained as a tinsmith, moved to Fredericksburg in the early 1870s. In 1897 he constructed this two-story native limestone building adjacent to the east side of his general mercantile and hardware store.
Architecture
Albert Nebgen House
A native Texan and the son of German immigrants, Albert Nebgen (1889-1965) had this farmhouse built for his family about 1918. The two-story I-plan house is the focal point of a farmstead that is representative of those established by the area's early German settlers. The front porch, originally open, was partially enclosed in 1921 to accommodate the growing family.
History
Andreas and Frederike Lindig Farmstead
German immigrants Andreas and Frederike Lindig arrived in Texas in 1869. They established a farmstead here in 1874 on 448 acres that included a main farmhouse, summer kitchen, barn, water well, and commercial lime kiln. Lindig used native post oak timbers to build a log farmhouse to which he added limestone shed rooms. They grew cash crops of peanuts, sweet potatoes, and cotton.
History
Baethge-Behrend Homestead
Johann Heinrich Baethge (1814-1888), his wife Sophie Konradine (Pape) (1824-1888), and their two children immigrated to Texas from Germany in 1854. They lived at several locations in the Central Texas area before settling here on about 120 acres in 1867. The Baethges' homestead consisted of a main house constructed of handmade clay and straw bricks and a number of outbuildings.
History
Bethany Lutheran Church
Early settlers in Fredericksburg worshiped together in a community church, the Vereins Kirche. On March 27, 1887, the Rev. John Heinzelmann and about 80 families organized a separate congregation known as Die Evangelische Kirche (The Evangelical church). Early worship services were conducted in the Vereins Kirche and later in the Southern (First) Methodist Church.
History
Birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN
Typical early Fredericksburg home built 1866 by Carl Basse. Property of the Henke family since 1873. Heinrich Henke, early settler, Confederate freighter, had butcher counter on front porch; meat processing was done in back yard; there the horses that pulled meat vending cart were stabled. Shop later built on foundation of stone walls surrounding lot.
History
Cherry Mountain School Complex
This complex represents a well preserved grouping of stone and wood buildings. The "old school", a pioneer-crafted one-room structure built on land donated by Carl durst, opened in 1883-84 with ten students. facilities added over the years include the "new school", a concrete block structure built in 1926, and an open-air theatre.
History
Cherry Spring Schoolhouse
School classes for the children of German immigrants in the Cherry Spring community were held in homes until 1885, when this limestone schoolhouse was completed on land donated by H. Bratherich. On dedication day, students formed a parade to the new building. The Cherry Spring Schoolhouse served the nearby residents until 1962, when it was consolidated with Fredericksburg.
History
Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church
German Lutherans in the community of Cherry Spring began meeting together for worship in the 1850s. Diedrich Rode (1828-1925), a licensed lay minister, provided space in his home for worship services and Sunday School. Christ Church congregation was officially organized in 1905. John and Mary Rode Wendel gave land for a church building in December 1905, and a rock sanctuary was completed in 1906.
History
Christian Crenwelge Place
A native of Germany, Christian Crenwelge migrated to this area in 1854 and worked as a farmer and cabinetmaker. At a sheriff's land sale in 1872 he bought this property located across the street from his home. for a short time he operated a molasses press here. The Victorian style Sunday house was constructed about 1903.
History
Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
Several black families were residing in Gillespie County by the 1870s. A schoolhouse was built in 1877 on property adjacent to this later church site. Blacks probably met in the school for worship services before this church was completed 10 years later.
History
County Jail of 1885
This two-story stone structure served as the fourth jail for Gillespie County, organized in 1848. It was constructed by the firm of c. F. Priess and Bro. in 1885. The ground floor housed a holding area and living quarters for the jailer. the second floor had two steelclad cells located against the east wall and maximum security cells in the center and at the back.
History
Crabapple School
German immigrants who came to Fredericksburg in the late 1840s and who later settled in this area erected a native limestone school which opened in 1878 with about 40 students. The land was donated by farmer Mathias Schmidt who according to local tradition earned the privilege by winning a foot race.
Nature
Cross Mountain
This marl and limestone hill, elevation 1,915 feet, was an Indian signal point, advancing news of the intrusions of white settlers. The hill was first recorded and described by the German geologist, Dr. Ferdinand Roemer in 1847. A timber cross found on the hilltop the same year suggests that Spanish missionaries recognized it as a landmark on the path from San Antonio to Mission San Saba.
History
D. C. Riley House
Four generations have lived in this house built in early 1870s by Crabapple community pioneer David Crockett Riley (1840-1900). Stone for 24" outer walls and 18" partitions came from a hill a mile north; timbers were hand-hewn from farm trees; milled lumber hauled from Austin (90 mi. SE). With a purchased lock for model, rest of door locks were made in farm shop.
History
Dambach-Besier Home
This rock house was probably built by F. Dambach, who bought the lot in 1867 for $70 and sold it two years later for $450. This was a full-time residence rather than a weekend "Sunday House." The porch was added during the ownership of Anna Besier, who acquired the property in 1881. The widow of George Besier, Anna moved into town so her four children would be close to school.
History
Dangers Stone House
Built in 1851 by the Rev. Gottlieb Burchard Dangers (1811-69), soon after his purchase of this town lot from Friedrich Pape. Dangers, who had emigrated from Germany in 1849, was the second Protestant minister in Fredericksburg. The two rooms in the rear and the cellar were added by Dangers about 1857.
History
Diedrich Rode Complex
This group of buildings was constructed by german native Diedrich Rode (1828-1905). The three-story limestone residence was completed in 1880 and featured a third floor storage area for wool and cotton produced on the land. A Lutheran, Rode served as an early minister and held services in the Betkapelle, a prayer chapel on the east side of the second floor.
History
Domino Parlor
The original part of this stone structure, containing a cellar with a vaulted ceiling, was built in the early 1850s on property owned by John Schmidtzinsky, a pioneer area settler. Once used as a pharmacy, it housed H. R. Richter's jewelry store in the early 1900s. Richter also sold musical instruments, and the front room was used for concerts. His family lived in the rear section of the building.
History
Doss School
One of the state's few remaining rural school systems, Doss School began in 1884 on Doss-Spring Creek Road (3.5 mi. S). Ten years later, land at this site was donated by Tom Nixon, and a small frame structure was built. In 1905, a limestone schoolhouse was built, and in 1927 the present building was added.
History
Duecker Family Homestead
August Duecker, Sr. (1828-1894) came to Texas from his native Germany in 1852. He married Louise Feuge in 1854, and in 1878 they purchased a large farm in this area. Their son, August, Jr., and his wife Lina bought part of the homestead in 1886, and in 1888 built this house with native stone quarried from family land.
History
Durst House
Carl Durst (1851-1923) moved to this community in 1873 and built a one-room cabin. After marrying Emma Ruegner about 1877, he made a small addition. The Dursts donated land for the nearby Cherry Mountain School, and teachers often lived in the 1896 stone addition to this house. From 1912 to 1926, Herman Durst, Carl's cousin, owned the property.
Architecture
Edward and Minnie Stein House
Edward Stein (1890-1978), expert craftsman, prominent local banker, and architect of many important structures in Fredericksburg, designed and built this house in 1923 for himself and his wife, Minnie. an excellent example of a 1920s bungalow, it features elements of the craftsman design including wide overhanging eaves and brackets, intersecting gables, and finely articulated walls and porches.
History
Ellebracht-Moritz Homestead
Frederick Ellebracht (1809-1882) and his family came to Texas from Germany in 1845. Joining other immigrants from their homeland in central Texas, they built this home in the early 1850s. The house consisted of one large log room with a loft.