History
Lake Chapel Cemetery
Pioneers Simeon and Nancy Lake and their seven children settled in this area in the mid-1850s. They built a home, cleared the land, and began farming. The settlement which gradually built up around the Lake farm became known as Lake Chapel community after a small church was built on their property about 1856.
History
Mrs. Lucy Haggard Longbotham
(1793-1873) One of nine children of the Rev. Henry Haggard, Baptist minister, and his wife Dorothy (Randolph), both natives of Virginia. Born in U. S. Territory south of the Ohio River (now Tennessee), Lucy Haggard moved to Alabama Territory about 1814. There, in 1820, she married Robert Brough Longbotham. In her lifetime, she lived under nine territorial, national, and state flags.
History
Mt. Zion Methodist Church and Cemetery
First church-- a log building located 1/8 mile east of Doddy Hollow-- was built 1854 by early settlers. The Revs. G. W. Walker, Timothy Green were founders. In 1860 church relocated 1/4 mile southwest of here on land given by Mary Holder. In 1880 J. L. Moody gave a tract situated 1-3/4 miles west. At that site a structure was built to house church, school, and Grange Hall.
History
New Hope Baptist Church and St. Elmo Cemetery
This locality was settled about 1849 by pioneers from Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Cotton and corn plantations thrived. A school was opened in the 1850s, but closed during the Civil War (1861-65). A site on the centrally-situated Manning land grant became a public burial ground. Earliest documented grave is that of J. W. Darden, who died in 1869.
History
Oak Island Presbyterian Church and Cemetery
First church organized in what was to become Freestone County. Started Sept. 11, 1847, by five charter members: Mrs. Mary Archibald, Samuel N. Archibald, Thos. W. Archibald, Eloisa Patton and Mrs. Mary S. Patton, whose husband donated land for church. The Rev. John Limber presided.
Transport
Old Division Point Office for the "Boll Weevil" Railway
Important Texas transportation artery. Chartered as Trinity & Brazos Valley Railway. Nicknamed for special trains roaring down its tracks, taking men to "Boll Weevil Conferences"-- in turn of century alarm over pests attacking cotton and the economy. Another nickname for road was "Turnip & Bean Vine". The T. & B.V. was founded by an investor-statesman, Col. Edward M.
Architecture
Old Judge Allegre House
Built about 1895 by Warren Allegre, who ran a drugstore nearby. Born in 1849, he came to this town in 1869. Here he gave music lessons and dispensed legal advice. Was later justice of the peace and mayor. This typical Victorian house has foundations and fireplaces of handmade brick. Stair rail and some woodwork are handcarved; 2 rooms are octagonal. Present owners, Mr. and Mrs. W. R.
Architecture
Potter-Watson Log Cabin
Built about 1852 by Daniel Potter, farmer who tamed wild horses. Has cedar floor, split board roofing joined by pegs. Hewn logs interlock securely. Cabin became family room in house erected by W. A. Potter. He sold it to A. T. Watson of Stewards Mill in 1901. His son Edward M. Watson, rancher and merchant, brought his bride here, 1904. His son Edward, Jr.
History
Rev. George Washington Baines
(1809-1882) Noted Texas religious leader. Pastor, 1850, to Gen. and Mrs. Sam Houston. Founded first Baptist paper in state, 1855. In difficult Civil War years, served as president of Baylor University, 1861-63, and pastor of the First Baptist Church in Fairfield, 1864-66. A North Carolinian. Uneducated, at 21 he cut and rafted timber to pay for schooling. Received A.M.
History
Robert B. Longbotham
(Dec. 29, 1797 - Aug. 6, 1883) Born in Sunderland, England. Came to America as carpenter's apprentice on a ship. Married Lucy Haggard, 1820, in Alabama. Came to Texas, 1832. Obtained land grant from Mexico, 1835. In 1836 fought in Texas Revolution and in 1839 in Indian wars. In 1848 located here. Township was named for him until post office was renamed Wortham in 1874.
History
Salem Predestinarian Baptist Church and Cemetery
Among oldest in county. Founded Dec. 3, 1853, by the Lee families, Elders Thomas Dossey and C. T. Echols certifying to constitution of church. Elder Dossey named it. Five-acre site given by W. H. McSwane family. First building of logs was replaced later by frame structure. The present chapel was erected in 1961.
History
Sessions Cemetery
This cemetery is the largest of three slave graveyards which local tradition indicates were established in the area in the early 1850s. It was named for delegate to Texas' Constitutional Convention of 1875 and prominent local citizen Gustavus Adolphus (G. A.) Sessions (1827-1902), who donated the land. The oldest burial here is believed to be that of Anderson Carter, who died in the 1850s.
History
Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church and School
Area slaves used a brush arbor for informal church services held by white minister Jeremiah Seely in the early 1850s. The congregation formally organized as Freedmen in 1866; Boney Moffett was elected first elder. Shiloh School, which was inspired by the church, began about 1867. Shiloh Church served as the "mother church" of the Zion Rest Primitive Baptist District Association.
History
Site of Law Office, General John Gregg
In 1854-61, Fairfield civic and political leader. Helped found first newspaper here. Served as district judge. A key member of Texas Secession Convention. 1861 Confederate congressman. Organized the Texas Infantry. As brigadier general, led troops near Vicksburg; at Chickamauga. Commanded Texas Brigade, Battle of the Wilderness. Was killed near Richmond, Oct. 7, 1864.
History
Site of Worthy Store
At this location in 1906, Alabama native Dillard Monroe Worthy opened a general merchandise store. He was later joined by his son, Roy, and the business became D.M. Worthy & Son. It provided residents with essential items and included farming materials, butcher and blacksmith shops, funeral supplies and lumber. D.M.
History
Stewards Mill Store, 1869
In settlement begun 1849 at Washington Steward's grist mill-- only one in area. Later had post office, brick plant, sawmill and county's first phone exchange. Still owned by heirs of early partner. Doorstep is original millstone. 1964 fixtures include first counters, bins, cabinets. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964
History
The Dr. Emmet Headlee House
Built 1906 in Brewer (now Teague). Builder (b. 1848 - d. 1918) was son of a Methodist preacher who was also a Confederate Army surgeon in Civil War; in turn was father and grandfather of doctors. Came to Texas 1866; became a planter, church leader, Brewer's first postmaster; a civic leader, peace officer, banker, druggist, school trustee, Mason, citizen influencing railroad building.
History
The Fridolin (Fred) Fischer Home
German native Fridolin (Fred) Fischer (1850-1921) came to Freestone County from Indiana in 1876. In 1893, the same year he opened a local hardware store, he had this home constructed by David P. Winfrey. Built in the Eastlake style, the residence features elaborate metal ornamentations, including some designed by Fischer who had been trained as a tinsmith in Germany.
History
The Manahan House
Greek Revival structure with cistern and chimneys of local handmade brick. Lumber, hardware came by wagon from Galveston. Siding is cypress; interiors of hand-planed heart pine. Unusual smoke spots decorate a ceiling. Started 1855 by Dr. W. D. Strain, who died Feb. 16, 1856. Widow had his funeral held here, completed house and occupied it, later sold to R. M. Edwards.
History
The Wortham Oil Boom
The city of Wortham rejected a well drilled by C. L. Witherspoon in 1912 when it produced gas, not water. However, oil and gas wells in 1919-23 gave prosperity to neighbors north and south, and petroleum exploration began here. Discovery well for the Wortham Field, Roy Simmons No. 1 (1 mi. S), came in as a gusher on Nov. 27, 1924. Within three weeks over 300 drilling rigs were in the field.
History
Town of Teague
In 1905 this town was a drowsy country village called Brewer-- named for 1835 land grantee Green Berry Brewer. It had been settled in the 1870s. Prosperity rolled into Brewer in 1906, however, when the Trinity & Brazos Valley Railroad selected it as site for the railroad shops and as the main division point between Houston and Fort Worth.
History
Union Cemetery
Used as a burial ground since 1860. This two-acre tract was given in 1860 by Jacob W. Tacker for use as cemetery and school site. Area was known as "Tacker School and Graveyard Community." First church on the land-- a log building-- was erected in 1866. It also served as school. A second, frame structure was built 1891, named "Union Church." At same time the cemetery was renamed "Union.
Military
Val Verde Battery, C.S.A.
Six brass field guns taken by Lt. Joseph D. Sayers' Company in Civil War Battle of Val Verde, N. Mex., 1862, and brought back to Texas with incredible difficulty, armed a new unit of hand-picked men. Sound of the Val Verde guns in action set pace for other outfits, helped secure such victories as the recapture of Galveston, 1863. At Mansfield, La., April 1864, captured new, longer-range guns.
History
W.L. Moody Confederate Reunion Grounds
The Freestone County W.l. Moody reunion grounds have been used for reunions, celebrations and remembrance of U.S. war veterans since 1891. The grounds were named after Col. William Lewis Moody, who organized Co. G of the 7th Texas Infantry, C.S.A., based in Freestone County. An ex-Confederate Association formed in 1890 and began meeting at this site in 1891.
History
William Rufus Boyd, Jr.
(January 7, 1885 - November 6, 1959) Licensed to practice law at age 19; became Teague's first mayor at 21. Regional manager of U. S. Chamber of Commerce during World War I. Joined the American Petroleum Institute in 1920, rising to positions of executive vice president, 1928-1941, and president, 1841-1949. In World War II, as chairman of War Council of petroleum industry, he aided Allied victory.