History
Antioch Cemetery
Shortly after the Civil War, Edward Ezell, Sr. (d. 1903) and his wife, Frankie (Howard), gave about two acres for this cemetery. It was later enlarged under the direction of the Antioch Cemetery Association. In 1905, residents of the Luna community began holding an annual memorial service here.
History
Birthplace of Harvey Means
(1868-1943) Noted Negro civic leader and barber to two generations of prominent Texans. An adventurous youth, Means began work at age 18 as shoe-shine boy in a west Texas barber shop. When rowdy cowboys demanded haircuts one day, Means (though inexperienced) complied with their wishes, and thus began a 54-year career.
History
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Born near Wortham. As a young street musician, played a guitar and sang spirituals and blues. Composed many of his songs, and had a distinctive vocal style. From Dallas' Deep Ellum district went to Chicago in 1920's with a talent scout; made 79 great jazz and blues recordings.
History
Bonner Cemetery
Established in 1867 as a final resting place for William Bonner, Dr. John Bonner, and their descendants. The two brothers, natives of South Carolina, came to Texas in the early 1850s, settling in Freestone County. Here they massed thousands of acres of land which they developed into great cotton plantations.
Military
Butler Soldiers' Homes, C.S.A.
Commissioners courts in Texas usually furnished to soldiers enlisting in the Civil War their uniforms, guns, blankets-- and sometimes even their horses. The county courts also aided dependents, war orphans and widows. Further, they recognized local people who had "soldiers' homes," and reimbursed them for meals given men en route to and from the army on furloughs and special missions.
History
Cade Cemetery
This burial ground originally served the pioneer Cade community, which was established near this site in the 1870s. Named for Cade Hayes, an early area resident, the settlement included the surrounding farmland of southern Navarro County and northern Freestone County. The cemetery was first used in 1876 when a Mrs. Nelson, the widowed sister of Cade settler Andrew Smith, was buried here.
History
Captain L. D. Bradley
(1831 - 1886) Came to Texas from Alabama in 1855. In Civil War commanded Co. B, 2nd Battalion, Waul's Texas Legion. On May 22, 1863, was a leader of one of most daring defensive actions in the Siege of Vicksburg. Volunteered, along with 20 of his own men and 18 others, to seal off a Federal penetration into the Confederate fort defending the Mississippi River; acted under fire.
Military
Captain Richard B. Haley
(July 27, 1810 - July 19, 1877) A veteran of 1835 Texas armed resistance to Mexican forces. Participated in the Grass Fight (Nov. 26), and in victory at San Antonio on Dec. 10, 1835. Haley was born in Tennessee. In 1824, he moved to present Shelby County, Texas. For his services as an early colonist and soldier, he was given six land grants. After 1850 he lived in Leon and Freestone counties.
History
Carter Log House
(originally located 3 miles east of Kirvin) Typical of pioneer dwellings in early Texas, this house was built in 1845 by David L. Carter, from Alabama. He later served in the Confederate Army and helped start Woodland Boys' College. The tongue-and-groove logs were joined with wooden pins. Square nails were used on the rafters.
History
Chancellor Union Cemetery
Reuben and Mary Chancellor moved to Texas from Wilcox County, Alabama in the 1850s with their ten children and eleven slaves. They settled on 576 acres in the rural community known as Brown's Creek. The Chancellor family donated four and one-half acres of land for church, education and burial purposes. The regular Predestinarian Primitive Baptist Church was organized in 1854.
History
City of Wortham
Situated on grant given 1834 by Mexico to Robert B. Longbotham (1797-1883), a Texas colonist from England who settled here in 1839. Years later, in 1871, when Houston & Texas Central Railway was planned through the area, R. B. Longbotham sold right of way through his land for token sum of $5, and townsite was bought from him by investors.
History
Colonel Wm. L. Moody
(1828 - 1920) Came to Texas from Virginia, 1852. Organized and was captain of Co. G, 7th Texas Infantry, the first Freestone County unit to go into battle in the Civil War. Captured at Fort Donelson, Tenn., Feb. 1862. exchanged, soon won promotion to colonel for bravery on battlefield. Commended for personally leading and rallying men in hand-to-hand combat in thick woods.
History
Compton Cemetery
William Scott Compton (1805-1882), and his wife, Angelina Louisa Gunn Ward (1806-1880) purchased over 3000 acres here in the settlement of Avant Prairie (later Dew) in 1852. On this acreage the Comptons built a log home, barns and quarters for their slaves. An attorney and banker, William served as a county judge and state senator in Alabama before moving to Texas.
History
Cotton Gin Cemetery
Margarette Wills, her slaves and her son James S. Wills came to this area in 1845. Dr. James S. Wills is credited with the establishment of the Cotton Gin community in 1848. According to family history, Dr. Wills gave the land for a public cemetery with separate sections for Anglo and African Americans.
History
David Hall Love
(January 12, 1816 - April 21, 1866) A Texas War for Independence veteran. At Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836, he and 11 comrades captured 220 enemy soldiers, and on orders of Gen. Sam Houston he walked next day to Harrisburg with news of Texas victory. For military service he was granted 640 acres of bounty land, from which he later donated Fairfield townsite.
History
Dew Cemetery
The first families in this community migrated from Alabama i the 1850s. Originally known as Avant or Avant Prairie, the settlement became Sunshine after the Sunshine Methodist Church moved here from Harrison Chapel in 1870. In 1869 W. S. Compton, one of the early settlers, and D. A. Self, local merchant and dentist, donated land for this community cemetery.
History
Driver Cemetery
Julius Driver (1795-1883) migrated from Georgia in 1852, buying some Faulkenberry headright land, and later giving 4.5 acres for this cemetery. A daughter-in-law, Mary Groover (Mrs. William G.) Driver, was first person buried here, in 1869. Driver also gave site in 1878 for nearby Hicks Spring Church and school. There the Confederate veterans of Freestone County had their first reunion in 1890.
History
Fairfield Female College
Erected in 1858 by the Freestone School Association. Opened in 1859 with Dr. Henry Lee Graves as president. Chartered February 8, 1860.
History
Freestone County
Formed from Limestone County; created September 6, 1850; organized January 6, 1851. So named from the nature of its stone. County seat, Fairfield. Formerly known as Mound Prairie.
History
Furney Richardson High School
In 1933, trustees of Busby and Grove Island Schools consolidated as a single district for African American children in western Freestone County. Trustees Wesley Madison, J.H. Clemons and Rufus Carter acquired land from the Albert Wright family, and the new campus, named for the first superindendent, opened here that fall with grades through high school.
History
Ghost Town of Cotton Gin
Settled prior to 1848, when Dr. J. S. Wills established a mule-drawn gin here. Post office was founded in 1851, the year county was organized. Dr. Wills gave a block of land for courthouse, but voters declined to make Cotton Gin the county seat. Town had 3 churches, a good school, a newspaper, a Masonic Lodge, stores and saloons.
History
Harmony Church
This historic sanctuary is one of the oldest church buildings in Freestone County. People of the Stewards Mill community held church services in private homes or in the schoolhouse prior to its construction. On Oct. 7, 1876, the Awalts, Bonners, Robinsons, Stewards, Watsons and others met to form an organization to erect a church building to be used by different denominations on different days.
History
Homesite and Burial Place of General Joseph Burton Johnson
(April 7, 1816 - January 18, 1874) Planter, soldier, civic leader. Born in Georgia. Commissioned a captain in U. S. Army in Florida in 1837; a major, 1846. Came to Freestone County in 1854. For headquarters on his 10,550-acre plantation, built (1860) at this site a 12-room stone mansion. Served as brigadier general of Texas State Troops in Civil War.
History
James Bonner Rogers
(Nov. 27, 1836 - April 13, 1872) Freestone County sheriff 1872, during lawless era. Rogers pursued several horse thieves alone, after deputy was shot in hot pursuit; but later was shot from ambush by 2 strangers, supposedly the vengeant thieves. Died, leaving widow, 3 children.
History
John F. Wallace House
Pharmacist John F. Wallace (1861-1966) moved to Teague in 1908. He lived at this address as early as 1912 and built this house for his family about 1928. John F. Wallace represented Freestone County in the Texas House of Representatives from 1921 to 1930 and was later appointed to the State Board of Control for three terms.