History
Stephen Williams
A veteran of the War of 1812, Stephen Williams left his native North Carolina and followed the path of a major migration movement to Georgia and Alabama before coming to Texas in 1832. In 1843 he received a Texas land grant in Washington County, where he established himself as a prominent landowner and ardent member of the Baptist Church.
History
The Faison House
Started 1841 as two rooms of local pine wood. Acquired 1855 and enlarged by S. S. Munger. Owned 1866-1961 by estate of N. W. Faison (1817-70), who joined 1842 Dawson expedition resisting Mexican invaders. Captured near San Antonio when many Dawson men were massacred, Faison was later pardoned by Santa Anna.
History
The First U. S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas
Authorized effective August 1, 1899. La Grange, Fayette County. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
The Menn House
Built near Winedale (4.5 Miles NE), probably by landowner Samuel K. Lewis (1807-67), ex-congressman, Texas Republic. Occupied 1860s by William and Carolina Menn and their 12 children, bought 1880 by Menn, this was home of their descendants until 1931. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
History
The Oldest Czech Settlement
In Texas. Was established at Hostyn when in November 1856 the families of Joseph Janda Valintin Kolibal, Frantisek Koza arrived here from Czechoslovakia.
History
The Rev. Jindrich Juren
Jindrich (Henry) Juren was born in Hradiste, Bohemia, on March 20, 1850. A Protestant minister's son, he studied theology at several universities and became fluent in Czech, English, German, French, and Polish. He immigrated to the U.S. in 1876 as the newly-ordained pastor of the Ross Prairie Czech-Moravian Brethren Church.
History
The Reverend Joseph Chromcik
Czech Catholics, who settled in Fayette County in the mid-1850s, were initially served by area priests. Eventually they petitioned the Bishop of Texas for their own Czech priest, and in 1872 the Rev. Joseph Chromcik (1845-1910) arrived from Europe. He held his first service in Fayetteville that year and became Texas' first permanent Czech Catholic priest.
Architecture
The Sladek-Hillman House
R. J. Sladek, a Bohemian immigrant, built this home about 1896. In 1899 ownership was transferred to Anna Hillman, the widow of Ludwig Hillman, one of the early settlers of the Fayetteville area. She lived in the house until her death in 1923. The interior of the Victorian cottage features 12-foot ceilings and millwork carvings of intricate detail.
Architecture
Townsend-Bremer House
Nathaniel Townsend (1804-1864) came to Texas in 1830. He hired James Stephens to build this house, which was finally completed in the late 1830s, following the Texas Revolution and Townsend's service as Republic of Texas consul in New Orleans. German immigrant Heinrich Bremer purchased it in 1905, and it remained in his family until 1961.
Civic & Local
Turner Hall
(American Legion McBride Post #143) This building was erected by the Schulenburg Turnverein, a German gymnastic club. Built in 1886 on the corner of Summit Street and Upton Avenue (presently U.S. Hwy. 90), Turner Hall, constructed by Henry Bohlman, was the primary community center.
History
W. S. Robson
(Feb. 4, 1851 - Oct. 7, 1905) Georgia native William Sion Robson migrated to Texas with his parents in 1852. After settling in Round Top (17 miles NE), the family moved to the La Grange area in 1863. After working as a butcher, Robson served in several public offices, including tax assessor and deputy district clerk.
History
Waldeck Cemetery
This cemetery has served the Waldeck community of German immigrants for over 100 years. Originally known as Long Prairie, the community met in 1866 to erect a school/church building and to establish a cemetery. Louis Tittel deeded six acres of land which became the cemetery. There were existing graves in the north corner, though the earliest marked grave is dated 1871.
History
Waldeck Evangelical Lutheran Church
Waldeck Evangelical Lutheran Church Before 1900, the German families of Waldeck, once called Long Prairie, were served by German-speaking Methodist missionaries; by 1885, a congregation had organized. In December 1899, the Rev. August Wenzel led local Lutherans in starting a new congregation, which organized as Waldeck Evangelical Lutheran Zion.
History
Wandke House
Johann Traugott Wandke (1808-1870) immigrated from Prussia to nearby La Grange with his wife Christiane and two daughters, Karoline and Christiane, in 1855. About 1860 Johann and Christiane came to Round Top to live in the home of their daughter Karoline and her husband Zoellistin Pochmann. They built their own native stone home/workshop at this site about 1863.
History
Winedale Stagecoach Inn
Built by William S. Townsend about 1834. Of cedar timbers-- one large room, fireplace and loft for sleeping quarters. Purchased in 1848 by Samuel k. Lewis; enlarged to present form. Became known as "Sam Lewis' stopping place" for many years. Restored by Miss Ima Hogg, 1964. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
History
Woods Prairie Cemetery
Woods Prairie Cemetery Zadock Woods (d. 1842), veteran of the War of 1812 and one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, brought his family to settle in this area in 1828. He built a fortified home on land deeded to his son, Montraville, and established a cemetery here for his family and neighbors. The first burial is said to be that of a ranch hand.
Architecture
Zapp Building
German native Hugo Zapp established his mercantile business in Fayetteville in 1865. In 1900, after a fire had burned his wooden store at this site, Zapp had this 2-story brick building constructed. Intended to be the finest structure in the city, the Romanesque revival building features decorative brickwork in a checkerboard pattern. In 1915 another merchant, F.C.