History
Phillip James Shaver
North Carolina native Phillip J. Shaver (1814-1875) settled in the Fayette County community of Rutersville c. 1840. Two years later, he joined the Texas Army to defend area settlers from Indians and Mexican soldiers and also received from the Republic 320 acres.
History
Pin Oak Cemetery
The first burials at this site, now unmarked, were for two ailing soldiers who died here following the Battle of Salado Creek near San Antonio in 1842. The oldest marked grave is that of Lee F.T. Cottle (1788-1845). Located on property once held by the Routh family, this burial ground served both the communities of Black Jack Springs and Pin Oak and has been known by both names.
History
Pochmann House
German immigrant Zoellistin (Cellestin) Pochmann (1835-1862) came to Texas about 1856-57. He worked as a cabinetmaker in La Grange and married Karoline Wandke (1837-1910) in 1857. They moved to a 3-room house about three miles northwest of here in 1860. After making improvements to the house they relocated the structure to this site about 1861. Zoellistin died from a snakebite in 1862.
History
Rabb's Prairie
This portion of Fayette County is named for William Rabb (1770-1831), a prosperous miller from Pennsylvania who came to Texas in 1821 with members of his family. Rabb claimed a site on the east side of the Colorado River he had selected during an exploratory trip in 1819. He was a member of Stephen F.
History
Robert Hancock Hunter
Star and Wreath Fought for Texas Independence at Gonzales, Siege of Bexar and San Jacinto. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962
History
Rocky Creek Farm
Original one-story house was built about 1854 for settler James Wade; situated then on the former Nassau Farm, a vast tract intended for settlement by German immigrants. Count Boos-Waldeck, an agent for the Adelsverein (German Emigration Society), purchased the land but another area was colonized instead.
History
Round Top
On the Old San Felipe Trail, in memory of John C. Robison, participant of the Battle of Velasco; Joel W. Robison, McHenry Winburn, Isaac Lafayette Hill, Spencer Burton Townsend, Stephen Townsend, Veterans of San Jacinto; J. T. Townsend, John P.
History
Round Top Community
Home of the Townsends, Hills and McH. Winburn, veterans of San Jacinto; Joel W. Robison, one of Santa Anna's captors; John Rice Jones, first postmaster general, Republic of Texas; and John C.C. Hill, boy captive of Mier Expedition and adopted by General Santa Anna. A center of German culture and crafts of 19th century. Examples: Nassau Plantation; Art of Mathias and Rudolph Melchior; Rev.
History
S.P.J.S.T. Lodge No. 1
In 1897, the S.P.J.S.T. Supreme Lodge formed in La Grange with 25 lodges. Lodge no. 1 in Fayetteville voted to purchase land and in Oct. 1910, construction of a hall and two ancillary buildings was complete. The vernacular style wood-frame dance hall is clad in white board and batten siding with a gable roof. Simple shutters constructed of narrow vertical boards swing open to provide ventilation.
History
Saints Peter and Paul Old Catholic Cemetery
Although settlement in the Plum area dates to 1869, the town formally developed in 1889. The following year, Czech families began settling here, and in 1896, they established Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church. In 1899, trustees purchased an acre of land from Paul Korenek, and the earliest marked grave, for Rosi Korenek (b. 1879), dates to that year.
History
Sarrazin Store
German brothers Edward and Leopold Sarrazin, who opened a mercantile store in 1875, moved their business to this building in 1890. They sold groceries, dry goods, and hardware in the front part of the building and had an office in the back. Feed, farm equipment, buggies, and wagons were kept in the rear warehouse. Chickens, raised in coops in the yard, were shipped by rail to Houston.
History
Schiege Cigar Factory
By 1859 the U.S. was importing 900 million cigars yearly, mainly from Germany. Tariffs, levied on imported cigars beginning 1862, resulted in a dramatic increase in domestic cigar manufacturing. Tobacco was still an important cash crop when Charles Schiege, Jr., erected a one-room frame cigar factory here in 1882. The factory's roadside facade bore a sign reading "Segars & Tobaccos.
History
Schiege Cigar Factory Manager's House
Charles Schiege employed mainly single men to manufacture cigars in his factory. The workers were provided with sleeping quarters in the attic area of the factory building. The factory manager, however, was often a family man, and to house these employees Schiege built a cottage of German vernacular design at this site about the time the factory was opened in 1882.
History
Schiege House
Prussian immigrants Carl Johann Rudolph (Charles Henry) (b. 1815) and Caroline (Schubert) Schiege acquired land here in 1861. Only one of their four children, Charles Henry, Jr., (1858-1935), survived to adulthood. Charles Henry, Jr., built a 2-story home at this site abut 1885, the year he married Emma Frenzel. Emma died in 1892.
History
Schueddemagen Home
Replica of Saxony home of Carl Siegismunde Bauer, the builder. Teutonic influence is shown in steep roof and 2-foot native limestone walls, plastered inside and out. Cedar ceilings, floors, beams, fireplace mantels. Built in 1852 for Bauer's daughter and her husband, Conrad Schueddemagen. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Schulenburg
German and Czech settlers used this gateway to the rolling hills of Fayette County. Settled by former residents of Lyons and High Hill in 1873, when the Galveston, Houston & San Antonio Railway reached here. Named for landowner Louis Schulenburg, town was incorporated in 1875. (1970)
History
Simon Peter Ford
Born 1816. Came to Texas in 1830. Participated in the Battle of San Jacinto as a member of Captain William Wood's company. Died 1896 in Flatonia, Texas. Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
Site of a Twin Blockhouse
Built about 1828; used as a place of defense against the Indians and known as Moore's Fort in honor of its builder and owner, John Henry Moore, 1800-1880, noted Indian fighter and commander of the Texans at the Battle of Gonzales, October 2, 1835. The City of La Grange was established May 17, 1831 on his land.
History
Site of Former Town of Lyons
Early town on land grant of Keziah Cryer. Named for settler James Lyons, killed by 1837 Indian raiders, who kidnapped his son Warren. In 1860s town had stores, Masonic Lodge, school, post office; and was on "Cotton Road" to Mexico, but it died in 1870s when the Southern Pacific Railroad was built.
History
Site of Wood's Fort
Used by colonists of this vicinity as a protection against Indian attacks . 1828-1842 fortified residence of Zadock Woods, veteran of the War of 1812. One of the old "Three Hundred" of Austin's colonists. Oldest man killed in the "Dawson Massacre" September 18, 1842.
Architecture
Spacek House
A good example of an evolutionary structure, this home was probably half its current size when it was built in the late 19th century for members of the Forres family. It was occupied by Otto and Laura Forres when a 1920s fire in a neighboring saloon spread to the south wall of the house, requiring replacement of siding and windows.
Architecture
St. James Episcopal Church
Built in 1885 for parish formed in 1855. On lot donated by Shropshire family. In continuous use as only Episcopal church in Fayette County. Original furnishings, handmade by rector and congregation, still in use. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery
ST. JOHN'S EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CEMETERY ESTABLISHED CA. 1854 HISTORIC TEXAS CEMETERY ' 2008
History
St. Mary's Catholic Church
In the 1850s, families of German and Czech origin in the Ross Prairie area were served by visiting priests. After 1855, they worshipped in a log church (2 miles N) named Saint Joseph, the first permanent Catholic church in Fayette County. The church moved to Live Oak Hill about 1861, and purchased this site near the settlement in 1864.
History
St. Paul Lutheran Church
Lutheran worship in this area dates to 1851 when Pastor J. C. Roehm of Basel, Switzerland, organized the first Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Texas and then began preaching, establishing St. John Lutheran Church of Ross Prairie in 1859. In 1894 the growing number of St. John members in Fayetteville erected a church building on this site, calling the Rev. Vaclav Pazdral who served until 1911.