History
Dr. William P. Smith
A veteran of the Texas War for Independence and regimental surgeon at San Jacinto Erected by the State of Texas 1962
History
Dubina
Dubina, which derives its name from the Czech word for Oak Grove, was founded in 1856 by a group of Moravian immigrants, including the Marak Kahlich, Sramek, Peter, Holub, Muzny, and Haidusek families. By 1900 the farming community had erected a church building, mill, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, store, and post office.
History
Early Texas Hotels and Inns
Two miles east, at Winedale, is the Old "Sam Lewis Stopping Place" of the 1850s--a typical early Texas inn, now a University of Texas research center. Built 1834, as a settler's 2-room log cabin of hand-hewn cedar; then enlarged twice and (with work of local German craftsmen) improved in style, it was home after 1848 to Lewis, his wife, eight children; also entertained guests from passing…
History
F.W. Flato
Born on February 22, 1820, in Bremen, Germany, F.W. Flato immigrated to Texas in 1846 and settled in Austin County. Flato and his wife, Sophia Welhausen, moved to southwestern Fayette County by 1866 where they operated a successful mercantile business. Eventually, the town was named Flatonia in his honor and he became its postmaster.
History
Fayette County
Formed from Colorado and Bastrop counties. Created December 14, 1837. Organized January 1, 1838. Named in honor of Marquis de LaFayette. 1757-1834. Nobleman and republican friend of Washington and of the United States. County Seat, La Grange.
Architecture
Fayette County Courthouse
About 1890, the structural safety of Fayette County's third courthouse came into question, and plans began for the building of this structure to serve as the seat of justice for the county. The commissioners court hired San Antonio architect James Riely Gordon (1863-1937) to design the new courthouse and oversee the construction.
History
Fayette County Jail
When the congress of the Republic of Texas established Fayette County in 1837, La Grange became its seat of government. A county jail was built in 1838 and used for ten years before it was sold. In 1853, the county purchased two lots in block 33 for a new jail. Architect William Lewis and local stonemason Heinrich Kreische were hired to design and build the two-story structure.
Architecture
Fayette County Precinct No. 2 Courthouse
Fayetteville citizens raised $600.00 in private funds, received $200.00 in tax money from the County Commissioners' Court, and built this Victorian precinct Courthouse in 1880. A ball held in the new building netted funds for painting. The 2-cell calaboose upstairs was completed in 1887. A ladies' club donated the clock in 1934. In early Texas, precinct Courthouses were very rare.
Military
Fayette County, C.S.A
Although voted 600 against to 580 for secession, began Confederate recruiting in June 1861. La Grange was headquarters for 22nd Brigade, Texas State Troops, Brig. Gen. Wm. G. Webb commanding, of which 18 companies (1,238 men ) and 72 officers were from Fayette. Special county war taxes provided relief for soldiers' families. Funds were also raised by the famous "Cow Order" for seizure of strays.
History
Fayetteville
Stage station on the Old San Felipe Trail founded by James J. Ross, John Crier, James Cummins - members of Austin's first colony. Nearby resided William J. Russell, participant of the Battle of Velasco. Jerome B. Alexander, Fidelie S. Breeding, James Monroe Hill - veterans of San Jacinto. Andrew Crier, William Hill, Dr. William P. Smith of the San Jacinto Campaign. Asa Hill, Jeffery B.
History
Fayetteville Brethren Church Cemetery
Originally known as the Czech-Moravian Brethren Evangelical Cemetery at Ross Prairie, this site serves Texas' second oldest congregation of the Unity of the Brethren, whose members settled here in the early 1850s. This group hosted the first Czech worship service in the state in 1855.
History
Fayetteville City Cemetery
This burial ground has served Fayetteville since early in the community's history. The earliest recorded burial, of Cass Fisher, dates to 1851. Other notable burials include surgeon, military leader and public servant Dr. William P. Smith and veterans of conflicts dating to the War of 1812. Also interred here is P.J.
Civic & Local
Fayetteville SPJST
The Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas, known in English as the Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas (SPJST), is a fraternal organization founded by Czech-Texans in 1896 at the Fayette County courthouse in La Grange. For more than 50 years, its headquarters were here in Fayetteville, largely through the influence of SPJST secretary J.R.
History
Flatonia
Market town for rich agricultural area, on one of this state's earliest railroads (chartered 1841 by the Republic of Texas). Situated on land granted in 1840s to rancher William A. Faires. Germans began to settle here in 1860s, and soon needed a shipping point for their products.
History
Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House
Dr. George Washington Allen (1849-1903) founded the Flatonia City Hospital in 1896, and this building was completed the following year to serve the medical needs of the growing railroad town. About 1910 the second floor hospital space became the site of the City's Opera House. In 1914 this Romanesque Revival building was sold to H. E. Olle, who leased it for over 60 years.
History
Flatonia Methodist Church
Founded about 1855 as Lane's Chapel by Alabaman settlers, including Texas Declaration of Independence signer William Menefee. Group met in log cabin (about 6 miles NE), then erected church school building (1859) at Pine Springs. Flatonia was founded in 1873. Services at Pine Springs lapsed when church burned 1874; members began to move to town.
History
Freyburg Methodist Church
This church began in the late 1860s when the Rev. Karl Urbantke conducted services in a local store near the town hall. Services were later held in a schoolhouse and in 1879 the congregation raised sufficient funds to hire H. Griezendorf to build this sanctuary. It is an excellent example of an open plan Gothic church with a central entry bell tower.
History
Gotcher Trace
Opened about 1828 by James Gotcher from Alabama, a settler on Rabb's Creek in present Lee County, as route from San Felipe, in Stephen F. Austin's original colony, to Bastrop in second or "little" colony. A short, exposed route to the upper settlements, this trace shared with nearby Wilbarger Trace the title of "via Dolorosa" of early Texas, as both were marked by tragedies.
Architecture
Gus Cranz Mansion, 1874
Built in strict German way (joints mitred and dowled) by immigrant carpenters from Austria. Facade styled after memory of Austrian villa. Birthplace of several Cranz heirs. Son-in-law, Hugh Roy Cullen, endowed the University of Houston.
History
Halamicek Cemetery
When their infant daughter, Klara, died in 1899, Frank and Josephine Pustejovsky laid her to rest on this land owned by relatives Peter (1857-1927) and Rosina (1859-1919) Krystinek. Later that year, the Krystineks conveyed one acre around her grave to John M. Halamicek, Joseph Pokorney and Frank Pustejovsky, among others, for use as a cemetery for the growing community of Roznov.
History
Hamilton Ledbetter House
North Carolina native Hamilton Ledbetter (1808-1888) and his wife Jane Amanda ( Peacock) (1813-1884) settled in Victoria County in 1839. Ledbetter moved to Fayette County in 1845. Soon he built this home for his large family. Ledbetter's plantation was the location of Round Top Academy which operated 1854-67. A prominent citizen, he served as Round Top marshall and state senator, 1872-74.
History
Hermes House
German native Dr. William A. Hermes moved to La Grange in 1855 to practice medicine. He opened Hermes Drug Store the following year with his partner, Dr. Eck. His two sons, August and William, Jr., earned pharmacy degrees and joined the family business. In October 1892, Dr. Hermes gave this house as a wedding gift to William, Jr.
History
High Hill Cemetery
High Hill Post Office, established about 1858, united three adjacent villages and gave this community cemetery its name. This six-acre tract was once the property of George Herder (1818-87), a German immigrant and a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto. The oldest stones here mark the graves of August Wolters, who died April 6, 1861, and Friedrich Eicholt, who died May 18, 1861.
History
Isaac Lafayette Hill
Born in Jasper County, Georgia. Moved to Texas in 1835. Taught school at Coles settlement. In Texas revolution served as 3rd corporal, Co. D, 1st regiment. Piloted ferry for Texas army at San Felipe during General San Houston's retreat, in 1836. Fought under Houston at the victorious Battle of San Jacinto same year. Later lived in San Felipe and on his land grant near Round Top.
History
Jacob Castleman
A soldier in the War for Texas Independence. A San Jacinto veteran. Erected by the State of Texas 1962