History
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church
In 1854, Matej (Matthias) Novak (1818-1896), his four children and brother Anton Novak moved to the area and settled along Mulberry Creek in what was then a frontier area known as Hottentot. Other Czech Catholic families began to move to the area and, by 1864, Father Victor Gury from Frelsburg came through periodically to attend to their spiritual needs followed by Father Joseph J. Martiniere.
History
Bedstead Truss Bridge (Mulberry Creek)
Built in 1888 by the King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio, and its sub-contractor, A. J. Tullock and Company of Leavenworth, Kansas, this bridge provided easy access to the developing community of Schulenburg. Located on the Old Praha Road, it was part of a major travel route during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
History
Beer Office and Bottling Company
F. W. Grassmeyer commissioned German-Texan stonemasons to construct this Italianate style commercial building between 1856 and 1859. The structure served as a hotel until 1893, when German immigrant Fritz Presun purchased it as a regional sales office for large American breweries. In 1897 Presun added a bottling operation, The Crown Soda Factory.
History
Bermuda Valley Farm
Site of noted race track (50 yds. N) laid out 1889 by Dr. I. E. Clark, state senator and physician who owned this farm. Although he had planned a 1/2-mile oval track, the course he traced (free style) in his buggy measured 5/8 mile. Later it was graded, using mule-drawn "Fresnos" (old-fashioned scoops for moving earth).
History
Bernard Scherrer
(1807 -1892) Bernard Scherrer left his native Switzerland at the age of 22 for extended travels before reaching Texas in 1833. After serving in Burleson's regiment during the Texas Revolution, he received a land grant in Colorado County but settled in Biegel settlement (Fayette County) about 1838.
History
Bethlehem Church
Magna Gloria Deo. A center of Lutheran faith in Fayette County. Dedicated Oct. 28, 1866 with Rev. Adam Neuthard as first pastor. Unique pipe organ of cedar built by Traugott Wandke. Stone construction shows German architectural style. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Birthplace of the SPJST
On December 28, 1896, twenty-five Czech-Texans gathered in the district courtroom of this courthouse to establish a new fraternal benefit insurance society, the Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas, more commonly known a the SPJST. The SPJST held its first convention in the same room on June 20, 1897. I. J. Gallia served as the society's first president and J. R.
History
Black Jack Springs Cemetery
The Black Jack Springs Community, now called O'Quinn, was established by a group of Anglo and German families who settled near the headwaters of the Black Jack Branch of Buckner's Creek by 1840. Pioneer Charles Luck provided land for the burial of his brother-in-law, Thomas H. Oeding (d. 1867). Oeding's is the first marked grave in this cemetery, which probably first served the Luck-Oeding family.
Architecture
Bradshaw-Killough House
Built in 1886 for local merchant Amzi T. Bradshaw and his wife Sarah, this house was purchased in 1908 by their daughter Nellie and her husband John Killough. In 1924, the Killoughs extensively altered the Victorian-era wood frame residence by adding the Tudor revival style crenelated arched entry portico and side porte cochere.
History
Brandt Cemetery
Eilert Gerhard Brandt and his wife, Sophie Friedrich Wilhelmine Westing Brandt, immigrated from Oldenburg, Germany to this area in April 1888. They purchased nearly 400 acres of land near the community of Pecan (Holman). Just months later, in June 1888, they established this cemetery with the burial of Meta Wienken, who had cared for their sons H. Emil and George F.
History
Breeding Family Cemetery / First School in Fayette County
David and Sarah Davis Breeding came to Texas from Kentucky and settled here in 1833 with sons John, Richard L., Napoleon B., Fidelio S., and Benjamin W.; John, Napoleon, and Fidelio Breeding fought in Texas Army during the War for Independence, participating in the victory at San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. IN 1838 David Breeding was a member of the board of Land Commissioners of Fayette County.
History
Brethren Church
Built 1874 by Czech-Moravians. Near site of first Czech Protestant worship service ever held in Texas, in 1855.
History
Brookfield-Evans-Cremer House
Samuel bought the 1832 David Berry league, where this house stands, in 1835. Samuel died at the Alamo the following year. Musgrove Evans and Brookfield's son Francis served in the Texas Army at the Battle of San Jacinto.
History
Burnam's Ferry
First ferry in present-day Fayette County. Established about 1824 at the crossing of the La Bahia Road by Jesse Burnam. After the Army of the Republic of Texas crossed on March 19, 1836, the ferry was destroyed by order of General Sam Houston to prevent its use by the advancing Mexican Army.
History
Carl T. Morene: A Shorthorn Forever
Through his civic involvement and interest in young people, Carl T. Morene made lasting contributions to the quality of life in his adopted hometown of Schulenburg. Born in nearby Muldoon on November 13, 1887 to Swedish immigrant parents, he served in the Navy and and the Army before embarking on a career in utility management.
Architecture
Casino Hall
Commissioned by the Casino Association of La Grange, construction of the Casino Hall began in 1880. Designed by James Wahrenberger of Austin, the 10,000-square-foot structure was built by John T. Campbell for $12,000. It served the community as a 'house for social and public use and benefit generally,' not as a place of gambling.
History
Cesko Narodni Hrbitov
The Cechomoravan Lodge No. 105 formed in Ellinger in 1884 as part of the national Cesko-Slovanska Podporujici Spolecnost (C.S.P.S.) fraternal society, which offered benefits to Czech immigrants. In 1897, the Ellinger lodge joined other Texas lodges in a new group, the Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas (Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas), or S.P.J.S.T.
History
Christian G. Wertzner
A San Jacinto veteran; first permanent German settler of Fayette County. Born in Germany; died, 1852.
Architecture
City Library Building
Erected 1852 as J. C. Stiehl family home; sold to Etairio Club in 1912 and given to city of La Grange in 1938. Architecture is German "fachwerk," using handmade brick and hand-hewn cedar timbers joined with wooden pegs. Restored in 1967-1969. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970.
History
Col. William F. Upton
(1832 - 1887) Coming to Texas in 1853, W. F. Upton settled near High Hill. He organized (1861) and was Lieutenant Colonel of Texas state troops guarding frontiers and coastline during the Civil War. A leading state legislator in 1866 and 1879-85, he aided post-war recovery in Texas. Had a store in Schulenburg many years. A West Texas County, created soon after he died, honors name of Col.
History
Colony Cemetery
The Colony community, settled in the 1870s by former residents of Mississippi, at one time included three churches, several stores, and a post office. John A. and Margaret Young donated land at this site in 1876 for a Methodist church and cemetery. The graveyard became the primary burial ground for the community. The oldest documented grave is that of Methodist minister Samuel J.
Architecture
Compton-Zapp House
This property has been owned by a number of Fayetteville residents over the years, including William Compton, Dr. Jethro Jackson, Antone and Minnie Pohl, and Hugo Zapp, Sr. Dr. Jackson was a charter member of the Fayetteville Masonic Lodge, and Hugo Zapp was a prominent merchant. This home dates to the 19th century, and its central hall plan is typical of Texas vernacular homes of the time.
History
Connersville Primitive Baptist Church African American Cemetery
African American citizens of Fayette County established Connersville Primitive Baptist Church sometime between Dec. 10, 1883, and Nov. 10, 1885. By the later date, Thomas Cooper owned 11 1/4 acres of land adjacent to Richter Cemetery on FM 1457. Cooper gave permission for the Black community to erect a building for the church.
Military
Creuzbaur's Battery, C.S.A. "The Big Guns of Fayette"
Organized in Fayette County, 1861, by Edmund Creuzbaur, a former Prussian artillery officer, and composed of around 150 men, 4 cannons, 72 horses, 39 mules. It served as both light and heavy field artillery at Fort Brown, Sabine Pass and other points in Texas and Louisiana. The unit at Calcasieu Pass, La., May 1864, attacked and captured two Union gunboats.
History
Czech Catholic Union of Texas
On March 24, 1889, a group of Czech immigrants gathered here to form the Katolicka Jednota Texaska (KJT), or Czech Catholic Union of Texas. A fraternal benefit society, the KJT was chartered on July 4, 1889, with six individual lodges.