History
Erath County Courthouse
Founded in 1854 and named for early settler and land donor John M. Stephen, the town of Stephenville became county seat when Erath County was created in 1856. The first county courthouse, a wood frame structure built in 1856, was destroyed by fire in 1866. By 1890 Erath County was experiencing an economic boom.
Architecture
First National Bank Building
Built in 1889 to house the city's first bank, this is the earliest of three structures on the town square designed by prominent San Antonio architect J. Riely Gordon. It features elaborate stonework and large arches typical of Romanesque Revival architecture and a Queen Anne style tower and pedimented entrance. The bank, organized by C. J.
History
Gentry and Shelton Building
In the 1870s, Stephenville's population was around 300 people and contained a handful of businesses in wooden buildings along the town square. In 1870, James A. Shelton purchased lots on the southeast corner of the town square to open a new business. James A. Shelton was born in North Carolina in 1825 and served with the 21st Tennessee Infantry, C.S.A.
History
Hancock Cemetery
The earliest marked grave on this site, once known as "North Bolton Cemetery," is that of Asa L. Anderson (1875-1876), who was buried here during the ownership of the James and Louisa Franks family. The Franks sold the land to T. W. Bolton in 1879, and the Caudle family purchased it in 1883. The Hancock name comes from the family of Benjamin T.
History
Hightower Cemetery
John Bryan McPheres Hightower was born in December 1822 in Georgia. By 1846, he lived in Red River, Texas with his father and brother. Three years later, he wed Mary E. Morris in Cherokee County, and the couple moved to Erath County with three children by the time of the 1860 census. The family had earlier settled on a large ranch in this area.
History
Historic Brick Streets of Stephenville
Seeking to improve the town's dirt streets, the Stephenville City Council in 1929 authorized paving by the Thurber Construction Co. High-quality bricks from Thurber (26 mi. NW), popular with builders around the state, were laid over a Macadam base and bonded with a tar-like substance.
History
Hogan Blacksmith Shop
William Alexander Hogan, a former C.S.A. Cavalry Blacksmith, brought his family from Mississippi to Dublin after 1870. With railroads drawing cattle ranchers and cotton farmers in growing numbers, William opened a blacksmith shop on Elm Street. His son, Chester, continued the family business. Chester's son, Ben, frequented the shop but was destined for another path.
Architecture
Holt House
This house was built around 1895 by Dr. Hardy L. Holt and his wife, Isabella "Belle" Victoria Gordon. Dr. H.L. Holt (1844-1914) was a First Lieutenant in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Later, he studied medicine and became a pioneer physician in Bluff Dale. He opened the town's first drugstore, which also contained an ice cream parlor.
History
Indian Creek Cemetery
This burial ground, which served residents of Selden and others who lived in the area, started on property deeded by husband and wife R. B. an R. L. Venable for cemetery, church and school use. Later, additional acreage was deeded by W. L. Moody and by J. H. Hyman. The oldest dated interment here is from 1871, though there may be earlier burials.
History
J. F. Warnock Hardware
Jeptha Franklin Warnock came to Erath County in 1898 and later settled near Bluff Dale. In 1908 he opened a hardware store and in 1915 built this structure to house his business. Here Warnock provided supplies and implements to the surrounding agricultural area.
History
John Tarleton
John Tarleton was an orphan, who at an early age worked his way from New England to Knoxville, Tennessee. Employed in a dry goods store for over forty years, he invested in government land certificates, eventually securing patents to thousands of acres. Arriving in Texas in the 1870s, he lived briefly in Waco, where he operated a mercantile store.
History
Johnsville Cemetery
The community of Johnsville, settled before 1860, was named for John Z. Martin when he was appointed first postmaster in 1901. Once a thriving village on the main road from Stephenville to Glen Rose, Johnsville consisted of general stores, a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, fraternal lodges, a school, a church, and numerous homes.
Industry & Science
Kiker's Gin
In 1873, several families, including the Cannons, Howells, Kikers, Mayfields, Strongs and Whitfields, came to the Green's Creek Community. John M. Kiker arrived from Alabama with his wife, Serena Rhonda (Howell), and their eight children. They first lived near Waco before moving here.
History
Lingleville
Founded in 1884 by Jacob C. Lingle, the town of Lingleville originally covered a ten-block area. A post office was established in 1885, and by 1892 the community boasted stores, blacksmith shops, a mill, gin, and three churches. Although bypassed by the railroad, the town thrived and soon included education facilities and more businesses.
History
Mount Olive Cemetery
This historic African American cemetery was established in 1922 when the Colored Burial Association purchased acreage from Charles Neblett. Many of the first burials were relocated graves from the segregated West End Cemetery, dating to 1856. The first burial at Mount Olive Cemetery was on May 5, 1922, for Wallace Howell.
History
New York Hill
This area of Thurber developed after 1917, when the Texas and Pacific Coal Company expanded into the burgeoning oil industry following W. K. Gordon's discovery of the Ranger oil field. Renamed in 1918, the Texas Pacific Coal and Oil Company brought staff for its new oil division to Thurber from New York. Thirty-one houses were built here on New York Hill.
History
Oak Dale Cemetery
Founders of Oak Dale community began arriving in 1867. They included: John R. Pickard; George Lidia, who became Pickard's son-in-law; the Rev. James M. Johnson, a Methodist minister; and William Jasper Mefferd. These men and their families, including Johnson's four sons, harvested timber along the Bosque River to build cabins and began farming the land.
History
Old Dublin Memorial Park Cemetery
The earliest use of this burial ground was in 1864 at the death of Ellen, daughter of J. H. Keith. William ("Big Bill") Keith donated this memorial to his Aunt Ellen with the understanding that it would be used for free public interments. It was called "The Old Dublin Cemetery" until 1961 when an endowment was created and the name was changed.
History
Old Public Water Well
An early day oasis for travelers and cattle herds. Dug about 1887 by crew building Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad. At first artesian, lost power when well was dug nearby to supply locomotives. Local residents, who now have private wells, still use this well in emergencies. (1971) Incising on base of marker: Restored 1965 by Bluff Dale Study and Garden Club
History
Oldest Home in Stephenville
Built in 1869 by J. D. Berry. Native limestone; Victorian architecture distinguished by steep roof, narrow windows, filigree gingerbread trim. Purchased 1965. Restored by public donation sponsored by Stephenville Study Club to house historical museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
History
Pecan Cemetery
The Pecan Cemetery traces its history to 1880. The oldest marked grave is that of Horace F. Adams (October 19-November 14, 1880), son of Isaac (1842-1931) and Mary (1855-1915) Adams, who are also buried in the historic graveyard. A memorial marker for Civil War casualty Daniel Turney (1829-1864) bears the earliest death date, although he is actually buried in Tyler.
History
Pecan Cemetery Tabernacle
In 1884 J. W. McKenzie deeded 3.5 acres of land for church and cemetery purposes in the Purves Community. A portion of the donated land has been used as a burial ground since 1880. The Friendship Baptist Church disbanded in 1915 after serving the area for more than 30 years. Lumber from that church building was used to construct this tabernacle in 1922.
History
Pony Creek Cemetery
(also known as Box/Pony Creek Cemetery) This cemetery is the final resting place for generations of local families, including descendants of pioneer settlers in the Pony Creek Community who came here as early as 1845. The oldest marked grave is that of J.T. Roberson (d. 1875), and another early grave is for Martha Walker Bills, born in 1799.
Architecture
President's House
This home was built on the Tarleton State University campus in 1923 to serve as the residence of the college's chief executive officer. Originally called the Dean's Home, it was first occupied by the family of J. Thomas Davis, who is credited with designing the house. Exhibiting Mediterranean style influences, the home was built of native stone by local and student workers at a cost of $8,000.
History
Purves Live Oak Cemetery
The earliest marked burial on this site is that of an infant who was born to the Ascue family on July 20, 1880, and died the same day. Though no deed to the cemetery has been found, deeds to the surrounding property refer to the four-acre burial ground. The Purves community was named for John Purves, who founded a church in the area in 1890, and William M.