Architecture
Hawkins House
Benjamin Franklin Hawkins, a member of the Peters Colony who was instrumental in the organization of Ellis County, built a one-story house here in 1851. It was incorporated into a two-story house in the 1880s, and was remodeled into its current Colonial Revival appearance by Hawkins' son, Frank Lee, in 1903.
History
Homesite of Dr. D.G. Thompson
A native Texan, Dixon Gillespie Thompson received his medical degree from Louisville Medical School in Kentucky and trained at several hospitals in the east. He married Rufa Jones in 1882 and built this residence for his family in 1883 - 84. In addition to his prominence as a physician, Dr. Thompson had large landholdings in Ellis County and owned an interest in three banks.
Military
Jack Lummus
(October 22, 1915 - March 8, 1945) Born on an Ellis County farm, Jack Lummus attended school at Alma and Ennis, and Baylor University on an athletics scholarship. He played minor league baseball in Texas and football for the New York Giants. He joined the U. S. Marines in 1942 and on February 19, 1945, landed with the Fifth Marine Division in the first wave of assault troops on Iwo Jima.
History
James McDaniel
Served in the army of Texas in 1836, born in Alabama, September 10, 1810, died January 11, 1885. His wife Idabella Weir McDaniel, born in Alabama, March 8, 1818, died May 4, 1897.
History
Jefferson Dunaway Home
Built 1855 by Jefferson Madison Dunaway for his bride, Sarah Ann Brack. Stone for chimneys came from the nearby creek banks. Cypress wood was used in structure. Two later generations of the family have lived here: The households of Jefferson Richard ("Jeff") Dunaway and of Richard Waldo Dunaway.
History
John Marr Hardeman
A soldier in the army of Texas 1836. Born in Tennessee, February 2, 1804, died October 15, 1891. His wife Mary Hardeman born in Tennessee, February 12, 1812, died February 19, 1857
History
Joshua Chapel A.M.E. Church
Organized in 1876, this congregation was named for its first pastor, the Rev. Joshua Goins, who started many African Methodist Episcopal churches across the state. Worshipers met in an old schoolhouse until this sanctuary was constructed in 1917. Designed by noted black architect W. S.
History
Katie Daffan
Born in Brenham, Katie Litty Daffan was a well-known author, educator, journalist, and club-woman. She began her career as a teacher and was an officer of the Texas State Historical Assoc. She wrote several books, including a Texas history textbook. Active in the United Daughters of The Confederacy, she served from 1911 to 1918 as superintendent of the Confederate Woman's Home in Austin.
History
Matthews-Atwood House
Pearl C. Matthews purchased this property in 1900 when he and his brother Will, owners of a McKinney department store, opened a second establishment in Ennis. He and his wife Virgie (Thompson) lived in a cottage at this site until 1908 when they constructed the present house. Harry Atwood (1873-1948), a native of Arkansas, purchased the home in 1917.
History
McKinney-Aday Farm House
Henry McKinney (1863-1936) was born in Kemp, Kaufman County and, at the age of 20, enlisted in Company C of the Frontier Battalion of the Texas Rangers. After one year, McKinney was discharged and returned to Kemp. He married Viola Dorsey (1866-1910) and then moved to Ellis County, near Waxahachie. Henry and Viola purchased a 71.5 acre tract of farm land two miles west of Waxahachie in 1903.
History
Milford Cemetery
W.R. Hudson and J.M. Higgins, early pioneers in this area, came from Cherokee County in East Texas to settle here in 1853. They laid off a townsite in 1854 and named it MIlford. The town developed steadily, and soon boasted homes, a school, post office, churches, and other community institutions.
History
Milford Presbyterian Church
Organized in June 1855 with 16 members, as one of 4 Presbyterian churches within a radius of 500 miles. Early, horseback-traveling pastors organized and served 3 churches in outlying areas. Congregation built houses of worship in 1860, 1896, 1921. This church was 4 times host to the Presbytery, 1861-71; to Synod, 1920.
Architecture
Moore House
Moore House Built in 1905 for Malinda (Anderson) and Hardin T. Moore, this Neoclassical Revival house is a significant part of Ennis' architectural history. The Moores married in 1892, after both Malinda and Hardin had been widowed in previous marriages. They lived on a ranch east of Ennis before moving into town after the house was built.
History
Mount Zion Cemetery
An Indian who often rested on this hill was killed by his wild prairie horse in the 1850s and buried here. Sarah Witherspoon (1832-1857), an early Anglo-American settler, was interred nearby in the first marked grave. Soon after Coleman Jenkins died in 1861, his brother Alexander (1829-1895) deeded this public burial ground. In 1873, Jenkins helped found the Mount Zion Presbyterian Church here.
History
Myrtle Cemetery
W.H. Parsons deeded the original ten acres at this site in 1875 for use as a cemetery. The burial ground was named "Myrtle" for a child whose single grave was included in the tract of land. Also buried here is Frederick H. Rankin (1795-1874), a member of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colony and veteran of the Texas Revolution.
History
N. P. Sims Library and Lyceum
A pioneer among privately - endowed Texas libraries. Situated in Getzendaner Park, which had been donated to the city on Dec. 31, 1895, by Capt. W.H. Getzendaner (1834-1909), and attorney, Confederate veteran, banker, and president of the Dallas & Waco Railroad. Nicholas P.
History
Nash Public School
In 1873 pioneer settler Thomas Alexander Williams (1827-1900) brought his family to this area, which was known as Garden Valley. Soon after his arrival, he directed the establishment of a school for the community. Classes were conducted at this site, originally part of Williams' farm.
History
Newton Cemetery
This family burial ground served the Newton family, early area pioneers. Larkin Newton, who owned this property, came to Texas in 1848 with one of his nephews, Elbert. They followed Elbert's brother, Asa Newton, who settled near present-day Ovilla in 1844. All three settled on land that was part of the Peters Colony empresario grant.
History
Oak Lawn School
Oak Lawn began as an elementary school for Blacks in 1887 on North Aiken Street. In 1893 the school moved to this site. By the end of the 19th Century, High School classes had been added to the curriculum. Two of the first graduates, Prince Goldthwaite and Robert Davis, later became Oak Lawn High School Principals.
History
Old Bardwell
In the 1880s, Ellis County emerged as a leading cotton producing county in the area. A community known as Pleasant Valley developed here, convenient for farmers transporting cotton by wagon. Pleasant Valley School was formed in 1882 to serve the families who had settled the area. Down the road from the school, Elijah Reynolds (1840-1911) sold a 2.
History
Old Ellis County Jail
Due to overcrowding in the existing jail facility, this structure was completed in 1888. The Ellis County Commissioners Court awarded the contract to Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri. A round turret with conical roof dominates the design. Decorative brick corbeling runs below the cornice.
Nature
Old Lake Dam
Constructed in 1891, this dam created a body of water known variously as the City Reservoir, Ennis Railroad Lake, and Old City Lake. It was built in answer to a proposal by the Houston and Texas Central Railroad to move its divisional headquarters to Ennis from Corsicana. The lake provided water for the train station and machine shops.
History
Ovilla
One of the oldest communities in Ellis County, Ovilla began as a fortified settlement built in 1844 on upper Red Oak Creek. Shiloh Cumberland Presbyterian Church was founded in 1847 and the town's first schoolhouse was erected in 1849. By the turn of the century, Ovilla had a post office, banks, several stores, and a cotton gin.
History
Ovilla Cemetery
The Ovilla community was founded by members of the Peters Colony in 1844. Benjamin and Erixna Caroline McFarlin were among the early members of the thriving farm community. On November 17, 1886, they deeded four acres to the new Ovilla Methodist Episcopal Church, South, for a church building and a burial ground.
Military
Parsons' Cavalry C.S.A.
Originally comprised of men from Ellis and surrounding counties. Organized for Civil War service at Rockett's Spring (4 mi. E. of this site), Sept. 1861, unit was trained and commanded by Col. William H Parsons, Mexican War veteran, colorful duelist, editor, merchant, and lawyer.