History
Alma
Settlement of this area began as early as 1848. The town of Alma was established in 1871, when the Houston and Texas Central Railroad was built through Ellis County. C.C. Hemming deeded part of his property for the railroad right-of-way and a town to be named in honor of his daughter, Alma. Soon the town included numerous homes, businesses, churches, and civic organizations.
History
Auburn Cemetery
Pioneer settlers used this site for burials as early as 1856. In 1865 it was part of 20.5 acres deeded to the Methodist Church for a school and church by Rezi Jarvis Banks (1817-1889), a Confederate army veteran born in Tennessee. Among the earliest marked graves is that of Banks' wife Minerva (1822-1893).
History
Bell's Chapel Cemetery
Founded 1875. Site for church cemetery was given on Dec. 27, 1875, by local landowners John and Elizabeth Gibbons. This tract and some later purchases were deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Church and cemetery were named in honor of confederate war veteran Jodie M. Bell, a church and civic leader in Rockett Community, and first person to be buried here, 1877.
History
Bessie Coleman
(1892-1926) Born in Atlanta, Texas, pioneer aviatrix Bessie Coleman grew up and went to school in a Waxahachie neighborhood a few blocks north of this site. At age 23 she moved to Chicago and first expressed her desire to fly.
History
Bethel Cemetery
In 1852 N.P. Sims (1806-1902) gave 10 acres of land at High Springs (4 mi. W) for a church and burial ground to trustees of Bethel Methodist Church. Several graves remain there. G.H. Cunningham (1828-1916) and P.C. Sims (1819-1903) gave church trustees 10 acres here at Bethel in 1868. Earliest marked grave is that of the Rev. J.W. Reynolds (1816-1873).
History
Boren Cemetery
Kentucky native Michael Boren and his second wife, Mary Ann (Ridgeway) moved to this part of Texas with their children and slaves in 1847. Hers is believed to be among the earliest graves in Boren Cemetery, as she died in 1857, but 1868 is the earliest death date recorded on a stone marker. It belongs to Sidney T. Boren, the five-year-old grandson of Michael and his first wife, Bettie (Morrow).
History
Bristol School
The community's first school was housed in a multi-purpose building erected here in 1870. The Bristol School district was established in 1877. Youth from throughout the area attended Bristol schoolhouse built in 1886 and 1913. A new brick school containing five classrooms and an impressive auditorium and stage was completed here by the U.S. Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1940.
History
Burnam Square and Cemetery
William R. and Edeline House bought the land on which Burnam Square and Cemetery were located in 1856 for the price of a slave named John. In 1861, after her husband died, Edeline House had the 25-block town laid out and donated one acre for a graveyard. The Houston and Texas Central Railroad bypassed Burnam Square in 1871 and founded Ennis.
History
City of Ferris
Sire was occupied in 1851 by the Ephriam Andrews family and their in-laws, the McKnights, settling a purchased land grant. The Duffs, Greens, McDaniels, and Orrs also pioneered here. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church was founded in 1858. The Andrews family (1874) deeded 100-acre townsite, named for Judge J.W. Ferris (1823-99), to the Houston & Texas Central Railway.
Architecture
Dunlap - Simpson House
A fine example of Queen Anne Revival architecture, this house has among its many rooms two hexagons, two octagons. It was built in 1890-91 by Judge Oscar E. Dunlap (1849-1925), a banker, political leader, chairman of Texas Council of Defense in World War I, Good Roads advocate, industrialist, humanitarian, founder of the Sims Library, Waxahachie. Later owners have included Mr. and Mrs. E.B.
Architecture
Eddy O. Hawkins Home
Eddy Pennell Hawkins, a member of a pioneer Ellis County family, built the first two rooms of this home soon after he wed Netta Lewis Carson in 1878. In 1900 he enlarged it to its present three-story style, a reflection of his position as a successful businessman and civic leader. The Late Victorian style home exhibits Queen Anne and Shingle style influences.
History
Ellis County
Created December 20, 1849 from Navarro County Organized August 5, 1850 Named in honor of Richard Ellis, 1781-1846 a Virginian by birth and education Jurist and statesman of Alabama 1813-1825 Moved to Texas in 1825 President of the Constitutional Convention, March, 1836 Member, Congress of the Republic of Texas Waxahachie the county seat
Architecture
Ellis County Courthouse
Built 1895-1897 of Texas granite, limestone, marble. Over east door, sculptor carved face of beautiful local girl he admired. Example of Romanesque Revival building, Victorian period. The architect was J. Reilly Gordon.
Architecture
Ellis County Courthouse
Ellis County's first courthouse was made of cedar logs and built here in 1850. A second courthouse was built on this square in 1853 and a third in 1874. In 1894 Virginia native and San Antonio architect James Riely Gordon was commissioned to design the fourth Ellis County courthouse to be built at this site.
Architecture
Ellis County Woman's Building (Davis Hall)
Dallas architect Bertram C. Hill designed this building, erected in 1925-26 on land deeded by Quincy Davis Getzendaner for a public park and a "rest room" for rural women who came to town with their families on market days. Intended in part as a memorial to Mrs. Getezndaner's parents, the building includes an auditorium called Davis Hall.
History
Elm Branch Cemetery
The rural community of Elm Branch served as a social, economic and religious center for the scattered farming families who lived in the area. The settlement contained a school, a Methodist church founded in 1886, and a cemetery. The church relocated to Bardwell in 1909, approximately two miles north of Elm Branch. The earliest documented burial in Elm Branch Cemetery is that of Martha R.
Architecture
Ennis City Hall
Designed by prominent local architect Hix McCanless, this Classical Revival structure was built in 1915 to house city offices and the Ennis police and fire departments. A native of Tennessee, McCanless (1868-1938) was the leading designer and builder in Ennis during the first part of the 20th century, and also served as a surveyor and city engineer.
Architecture
Ennis National Bank
This structure was built in 1883 to house the Ennis National Bank, which was established the same year, with businessman Joseph Baldridge as its first president. Until 1917, when a new facility was built, the bank occupied the first floor, while the second story was leased for offices.
Architecture
First Presbyterian Church of Ferris
Organized by 13 charter members in 1858, this congregation moved from its original site near Bluff Springs (2 miles west) to Ferris in 1875. A church building, erected here in 1890, was razed when this sanctuary was built in 1925-26. Its Classical Revival design features paired pilasters, a 3-bay primary facade with a rounded arched entry, classical columns, and 2-story stained glass windows.
Architecture
Fry - Butcher House
Sam and Sarah Jane "Jennie" Fry purchased 150 arces here in 1882. Aided by noted local carpenter Lewis Butcher, the Frys built this farmhouse in 1883. The house is an excellent local example of the Queen Anne architectural style and features a gable roof, turned-wood porch posts, and jig-sawn brackets and porch friezes. The property eventually passed to George A.
History
General Edward H. Tarrant
Veteran of the War of 1812, member of the Texas Congress and a courageous indian fighter. Born in North Carolina, 1796, died in Parker County, Texas, August 2, 1858. Reburied in Ellis County near his former plantation, 1859. His remains removed to the county named in his honor in 1928 and reinterred in Fort Worth.
Civic & Local
Getzendaner Memorial Park
Established in 1889, Getzendaner Memorial Park was originally named West End Park as part of Waxahachie's West End addition. By the early 20th century, it became Chautauqua Park, named for the annual retreat held on its grounds through 1930. Chautauqua assemblies began in western New York in the 19th century as cultural program events, typically held during summer at pastoral settings.
History
Greathouse Community, Church, and Cemetery
Greathouse Community, Church, and Cemetery Archibald and Mary Greathouse, who settled in this area in 1848, gave their name to a creek and rural community that grew up here. The church, school, and cemetery that formed the focal point of community life were located on land deeded in 1881 by Ezekiel M. Brack, and on property deeded later by Martin Judy Dawson and George W. Whitefield.
Architecture
H.P. and Mollie McCartney House
Homer Patrick (1901-1955) and mollie (Biard) McCartney (1899-1990) commissioned noted Dallas architect Charles S. Dilbeck and local contactor Fin Garvin to build their family home which was completed in Jan. 1939.
Architecture
Harkey - Payne House
Originally a four-room house with south and east porches, this home was built about 1870 by carpenter and blacksmith D. H. Harkey. Dr. J. M. Johnson bought the property in 1896 and added the second story and the colonial revival style columns. In 1897 the house was sold to Confederate veteran John Payne, who ran a successful mercantile business in Palmer.