History
Ater Cemetery
Originally founded as Sardis, the town of Ater took its name from store owner Joe Ater (1856-1928), who also served as its only postmaster from 1899 to 1907. A Mr. Dooley and Lemuel Murrell reportedly deeded land for church, school and cemetery purposes during the community's formative years.
History
Benjamin F. Gholson
(Nov. 17, 1842-April 3, 1932) Born in Falls County. Son of early Texas settlers Albert G. and Elidia Anderson Gholson. After 1858-1859 service with Texas Rangers, he re-enlisted in company under Capt. J. M. Smith, and in 1860 aided in the rescue of Cynthia Ann Parker, kidnapped by Comanche Indians in 1836. Served in 2nd Regiment, Texas Cavalry in Civil War. Married Jane Adaline Langford.
Architecture
Coryell County Courthouse
An outstanding example of Second Empire Victorian style, often seen in Texas Courthouse design. Erected in 1897 on land donated by early settler R. G. Grant. Architect for this third Coryell Courthouse was W. C. Dodson; builder,Tom Lovell. Limestone and red sandstone blocks were precut to the exact size at quarry, then hauled here by horse-drawn wagons.
History
Davidson Cemetery
James Madison (Matt) Davidson (1826-1925) came to Texas from Tennessee in 1852 and settled in Milam territory. In 1854 Matt Davidson and Vianna Moore (1832-1912) were the second couple issued a marriage license in Coryell County, formerly Milam territory. After serving in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, Davidson bought land on Coryell Creek and built a log cabin there for his family.
History
Eagle Springs Baptist Church
This congregation grew from an early Coryell County fellowship known as the Church of Onion Creek. Worshippers met in a log building until it burned in 1854. In 1858 this site was acquired for a new church building. In the same year, the Rev. John McLain, a Baptist Missionary, organized the Eagle Springs Baptist Church from the earlier congregation. Charter members inclded J. H.
History
Evant
The town of Evant traces its history to an earlier settlement in this area. Langford Cove, founded in 1855 by Asa Langford (1820-1870), was located adjacent to and partly within the south boundary of the present town of Evant. A United States Post Office was authorized in 1876 under the name Cove. Evan T. Brooks and his family arrived in the area in 1876.
Military
Fort Hood Communities
On January 15, 1942, the U.S. Army established a tank destroyer tactical and firing center near Killeen covering more than 100 square miles. Camp Hood (later Fort Hood) would be used to train fifty battalions of about 1,000 men each for World War II combat. Because of the size of the facility, the army needed to acquire more than 88,000 acres of land.
History
Gatesville
County seat of Coryell County, Gatesville began in 1854 after the county was created. Richared Grant, an Indian trader and local landowner, donated the townsite. It was named for Old Fort Gates (1849-1852), which had been established 5 miles east for Indian protection. The Fort, named for U.S. Army major G. R. Gates, was the first settlement in the county.
History
Grubb, Wiley Parker (1846 - 1918)
(May 19, 1846- January 23, 1918) Wiley Parker Grubb, the son of Jacob N. and Mary Ann (Wiley) Grubb, was born in Walker County, Texas. He joined the Texas Rangers in 1863 and in 1865 was wounded at the battle of Dove Creek near present day San Angelo. He married Georgia Hester in 1872. In 1874 he bought land here in Coryell County from his father where he ranched and became a prominent landowner.
Architecture
Hammack Building
The Hammack Building is located on property once owned by John Chrisman, who helped survey the town of Gatesville in 1854. The building was constructed by W. W. Hammack (1860-1913) in the late 1800s. Over the years, the Hammack family leased the structure, which has housed the Gatesville National Bank, a saloon, a drugstore, and other commercial establishments.
History
Harman School Community Center
In 1891, M.F. Harman deeded two acres to be used for a school and gathering place until the community, known as Harman community, moved it in 1904 to Henry Wood's pasture, near Perryman Creek. In 1917-18, on four acres bought from Milton L. and Mary Lou Harman for $200, a new facility was built here, with three classrooms, offices and a stage. A teacherage was added in 1921.
History
John Paney Bertrand
John Raney Bertrand was born in Brazoria County, the son of French immigrants who came to Texas before the Texas Revolution. He was a partner in a mercantile business in Washington County for several years before leaving to join the Confederate Army in the Civil War. In 1869 he married Mary Frances Cayce, and moved to Coryell County in 1875, settling on 312 acres.
Transport
Leon River Bridge, 1904
The route once known as the Old Georgetown Road was in existence by 1854 and crossed the Leon River here. A ferry operated at this crossing as early as 1854 and was owned by R. G. Grant, a local entrepreneur and land developer. The Bowstring Truss Bridge erected near here in 1882 was the first metal truss bridge in Coryell County.
History
Lincolnville Community
Coryell County, established in 1854, became home to settlers mostly from the Old South. Shortly after the end of the Civil War, local freedmen formed a community four miles west of Gatesville called Lincolnville in honor of president Abraham Lincoln, located near the Moccasin Bend area along the Leon River.
Military
Moore, John Creed
Star and Wreath Brigadier General, C.S.A. Commended for outstanding gallantry at Shiloh, led brigade at Corinth and Vicksburg, fought at Chattanooga and Mobile. Erected by the State of Texas, 1963.
Nature
Mother Neff State Park
First official state park in Texas; suggested the idea for the State Parks system. Originated with a 6-acre plot willed to Texas in 1916 by Mrs. Isabella E. Neff, mother of Pat M. Neff, Governor of Texas (1921-1925) Because Texas then had no state parks, Mrs. Neff stated the land was to be used for religious, fraternal, political, and educational activities.
History
Mt. Hiram Lodge No. 595, A.F. & A.M.
Mt. Hiram Lodge No. 595 was chartered on December 12, 1884. Lodge members shared their first facility, a two-story structure located near present-day downtown Copperas Cove, with a public school. In its early years the lodge participated in a local volunteer company of Minutemen and helped develop this area's economy. The lodge relocated in 1894 to Main Street and Ave. D, above the J. S.
History
Murrell School
MURRELL SCHOOL MANY OF THIS AREA'S EARLY SETTLERS CAME FROM SARDIS, MISSISSIPPI, ESTABLISHING A COMMUNITY NAMED FOR POSTMASTER JOE ATER. LEMUEL MURRELL, ANOTHER EARLY RESIDENT, BUILT A LOG SCHOOLHOUSE IN THE LATE 1870s. ALABAMA NATIVE ROBERT EARL TIMMONS WAS THE FIRST TEACHER. IN THE LATE 1800s, MURRELL SCHOOL HAD NEARLY 100 STUDENTS IN ITS ATTENDANCE AREA.
History
Ogletree Stagestop and Post Office
After Marsden Ogletree (1819-1896) and his family migrated from Georgia, he recieved a land grant in 1878. Inscriptions on two stones in this house indicate the structure was erected the same year. It served as the family home, grain store, and stopping place for the Lampasas to Belton stagecoach. Since the mail arrived by stage, a post office was opened here in 1879 with Ogletree as postmaster.
History
Osage Cemetery
Residents of the Osage community began using this site as a burial place about the mid-1870s, soon after area settlement began. Though the presence of unmarked burials indicates possible earlier usage, the first marked burial, that of R. P. Doherty, dates to 1874.
History
Pearl Cemetery
Originally named for Swayback Mountain, the community served by this cemetery was named Wayback through a clerical error in 1854. The name was changed to Pearl in 1890 for the young cousin of postmaster P. Davenport. In the early 1890s Pearl residents often were buried in the nearby Hope, Bee House and King Cemeteries.
History
Pearl School
(1884-1958) Evolved from a log cabin with puncheon floor and with split log benches to a modern plant with a gymnasium. Furnished its fair share of educated citizens. In early days, a one or two teacher school. First trustees were J. H. Harrison, V. C. Karnes, and Frank Roberts. In 1907, with a new building, faculty increased to three;in 1917, to four; seven-teacher high school in 1934.
History
Sadler Cemetery
Sadler Cemetery Settlers, including many from Tennessee, arrived in the area around Rainey's Creek in the early 1850s. The community became known as Rainey's Creek until 1871, when the post office changed its name to Coryell City. By that time, the community cemetery had been established on land set aside in the 1850s by Chester Calhoun Sadler (d. 1911) for his family, friends and neighbors.
History
Site of the Ireland School
School classes were first conducted in a church tabernacle when Ireland was founded in 1911. The town was platted on the Coryell-Hamilton County line and named for Texas Governor John Ireland (1827-1896). A wooden frame school was erected in 1914, and in 1921 five acres were purchased at this site for a new two-story brick school building.
History
Slater Cemetery
This cemetery served the once thriving farming and ranching community of Slater, which formed in the late 1800s. By the early 1900s, the community had two churches, a post office, a school and various businesses. In 1907, James and Ellen Martin donated land to be used as a free burial ground for Slater residents. Their son, Curry, was buried that year; his is the cemetery's oldest marked grave.