Architecture
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Sacred Heart Church was established by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate for the English-speaking parishioners of Immaculate Conception Church. San Antonio architect Frederick B. Gaenslen designed this building for the new congregation in the Gothic Revival style.
History
San Benito
Founded by an engineer, Col. Sam Robertson, on Gulf Coast Railroad that in 1904 reached this area colonized by Mexico about 1770. First called "Bessie", for child of railroad official B.F. Yoakum, then "Diaz", to honor Mexican president; present name honors landowner Benjamin Hicks. Land and water company and sugar company opened here, 1906. Robertson was first Postmaster, 1907.
History
San Benito Bank and Trust Company
Chartered in 1908, one year after the founding of San Benito, this institution was started by two brothers, W. Scott Heywood and Alba Heywood. The bank was moved here in 1911 when work was completed on this Spanish Colonial Revival structure. The second floor housed offices and the city library, organized at this site in 1914. Flags flown from the building warned area farmers of bad weather.
History
San Benito Post Office
At the time the local community was granted its first post office in April 1907 it was known as Diaz. Because another town in Texas had previously been awarded the name Diaz by postal officials, the name of this post office was changed to San Benito later that year. Colonel Samuel A.
History
San Roman Building
Erected 1850 for Don Jose San Roman, native of Biscay, Spain--importer, steamboat owner, merchant, investor in city lots. He and successor, Feliciano San Roman, backed the Rio Grande Railroad. Fulgencio Lopez was last of San Romans in charge here.
History
Santa Rita
Here was Santa Rita; First Anglo-American settlement on lower Rio Grande and county seat of Cameron County; 1848 1849
History
Site of First Bank in La Feria
The Cameron County Bank of La Feria, this community's first bank, occupied this structure soon after it was founded in 1912. The building was erected by W.A. Strickland, a well-known contractor here. Organized as a private institution, the bank received a state charter in 1913. Its founder was Illinois-born Bailey H. Dunlap (1886-1957), who served as first mayor of La Feria in 1915.
History
Site of Old Grammar School
Although public education in Cameron County had begun in 1854, the city of Brownsville was able to set up its own public school system in 1875, with classes held in various buildings throughout the city. In 1887 Captain William Kelly, chairman of the board of trustees, began a reorganization of the school system and called J. Frank Cummings to be superintendent of the Brownsville Schools.
History
Solis Cemetery
JUAN JOSE SOLIS, GRANTEE OF PORCIÓN 107 IN STARR COUNTY AND FOUNDER OF EL SOLISE'O, MEXICO, WAS PATRIARCH OF THE SOLIS FAMILY IN THIS AREA. HIS GRANDSON FRANCISCO (1801-1876), AND HIS WIFE ANASTACIA RIVAS DE SOLIS (b. 1808), WERE EARLY RESIDENTS OF POINT ISABEL AND BROWNSVILLE, LATER SETTLING IN LA FERIA. THEIR SON LAZARO (1840-1904) AND HIS BROTHER-IN-LAW YSABEL CANTU (b.
Architecture
Southern Pacific Railroad Passenger Depot
This depot was built by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1926 as part of its extension into the Rio Grande Valley. A fine example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture, the depot features a tile roof, arcades, curvilinear parapets, and other ornamentation common to that style. The structure was used as a passenger depot until 1952.
Transport
Spiderweb Railroad
Col. Sam A. Robertson, who founded the town of San Benito in 1907, promoted and built the San Benito & Rio Grande Valley Railway. It was designed to provide a more accessible and efficient transportation system for the shipping of area farm products. Because of the railroad's intricate network of lines and spurs, it was commonly known as the Spiderweb Railroad.
History
St. Benedict's Church
The original St. Benedict's Church was erected in 1910, two years before the congregation became parish, and was destroyed by fire in 1923. This brick structure was built to replace it in 1925, under the leadership of Father Yvo Tymen, O.M.I. (1879-1977), who served as pastor of St. Benedict's from 1921 to 1937.
History
Stagecoach to the Rio Grande, C.S.A.
About 10 miles east of this site during the Civil War was Paso Real, ferry point on Arroyo Colorado. As early as 1846, stagecoaches had gone over Paso Real Ferry (the name probably meant "The King's Pass"). In the 1860's, the spot had international importance. It was a crossing for the cotton road, lifeline of the Confederacy.
History
Stonewall Jackson Hotel
In the mid-1920s, the city of San Benito, which had been founded just 18 years earlier, was experiencing rapid growth. The influx of visitors overwhelmed the current hospitality infrastructure, so a group of prominent San Benito businessmen proposed a new, modern hotel to satisfy the needs of the community. The group brought in Hockenberry Systems, Inc.
History
The Battle of Palo Alto
Was fought here May 8, 1846 and was won by the Army of the United States. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
The Battle of Resaca de la Palma
Was fought here May 9, 1846 And the defeat of the Mexican Army under General Mariano Arista by the United States troops under General Zachary Taylor made good the claim of Texas to the territory between the Nueces and the Rio Grande Erected by the State of Texas
Architecture
The Gem
Built in 1848 for J.E. Garey and Company, this structure under subsequent ownership has housed a "drinking house", boutique and was the residence of Brownsville's first mayor, Robert S. Leman. The Gem is an excellent local example of mid-19th century commercial architecture influenced by vernacular traditions.
History
The Spot Where "American Blood was Shed on American Soil"
The spot where "American blood was shed on American soil" April 25, 1846 Here Captain Philip Thornton and 62 dragoons were attacked by Mexican troops.
History
These Palmetto Pilings
These palmetto pilings are the remains of the Boca Chica Crossing of the Railroad from Boca Chica inlet to White's Ranch on the Rio Grande. Begun by General Francis H. Herron, U.S.A., in 1864 and completed in 1865 by General Philip H. Sheridan for the transportation of military supplies.
Architecture
Tijerina House
A descendant of the 18th Century Rio Grande settler Blas de la Garza Falcon, Tomas Tijerina (1860-1932) moved to this site in 1904. His original frame house was moved to the back of the lot in 1912 when the present brick home was built. Tijerina, a deputy sheriff for many years, designed the residence and his neighbor Teodoro Perez served as general carpenter.
History
Town of La Feria
Site is on land surveyed 1777 for Spain's grants to Don Juan Hinojosa and Jose Mari Balli, ancestors of priest for whom Padre Island was named. Rancho raised cattle, sheep, goats. By 1790's it had a fairground (Hence name, La Feria) for Fiestas, horse racing, and other sports. After Mexican War (1846-48), Balli heirs had title confirmed by Texas. In 1850, Nathaniel White (d.
History
Water District Building
Designed by Austin architects Endress and Walsh and built by contractor L. Fleming, the San Benito Land and Water Company building was completed in 1910 at a cost of $14,386. Thirty-foot pine beams and locally made brick were used to construct the home of the company.
History
Webb-Martinez House
Joseph Webb (1850-1933) had this residence constructed for his family about 1906. Known as Don "Pepe", Webb served as clerk of Cameron County for 34 years. In 1929 he conveyed the house to a daughter, Josephine Webb, a Brownsville teacher for whom a local school was later named.