History
Miguel Fernandez Hide Yard
Brothers Miguel Fernandez (1839-1905) and José Fernandez-Toral (1837-1911) immigrated to Brownsville from Asturias, Spain, and partnered in an import-export business. After their partnership dissolved, Miguel opened a hide yard at this location in 1890, one of the first in the city. It came at a time of drought, when a shrinking market for live cattle forced many ranchers to slaughter their herds.
History
Neale House
Southern Colonial house of Wm. Neale, Englishman who was in Navy of Mexico in early 1820's, operated Matamoros to Boca Del Rio Stage Line, and lived here 1834 to 1896. Built of imported lumber. Of fine workmanship. During 1859 Cortina's War, Wm. Peter Neale, a son of the builder, was killed in right front room. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Near Route of Alonso de Leon Expeditions
Spain's desire to colonize this area of the New World in the late 17th Century was spurred by the fear that French adventurer Rene La Salle, who had landed on the Texas coast in 1684, was claiming vast areas for its bitter rival, France.
Transport
Old Point Isabel Lighthouse
The beacon for the commerce of the Rio Grande; Erected by the United States Government in 1852; Extinguished during the Civil War; Discontinued, 1888-1895; Permanently discontinued, 1905
History
Original Sam Houston School
The Harlingen School District opened a new public school at this site in April 1912 in one of the city's first permanent school buildings. Originally known as the main school, it served Elementary through High school grade students. Graduating classes of the early years usually were made up of ten or fewer students.
Architecture
Our Lady of Visitation Catholic Church
A rare South Texas snowstorm marked the cornerstone laying ceremonies for this church building, Dec. 29, 1880. The Gothic Revival edifice was constructed of bricks made at nearby El Rancho de Santa Maria, owned by L.J. Hynes, who gave land for the church. Built from plans drawn by Father Peter I. Keralum, O.M.I., the structure was dedicated June 29, 1882.
History
Padre J. Nicolas Balli
Padre Island, off the South Texas coast, is named for Padre Jose Nicolas Balli (177?-1829), whose family migrated from Spain in 1569 and became large landowners in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. In 1800 Balli applied to King Charles IV of Spain for 11 1/2 leagues of land on the island, and in 1804 started its first settlement, Rancho Santa Cruz.
Transport
Pan American Airways Blind Flying School
The development of Mexican oil fields by North American corporations during the 1920s led to a need for reliable transportation into Mexico's interior. As a result, Brownsville soon became a pioneer training center for the now highly technical craft of blind flying, or piloting an aircraft by the use of navigation instruments.
History
Planters State Bank
Prior to construction of the Planters State Bank building, a barber shop owned by Harlingen pioneer Mack Crenshaw was located at this site. In 1917, the land was deeded to the Planters State Bank. The owners of the bank leased the upper floors of the structure as office space. After the Planters State Bank closed, this building served as the home of the Valley State Bank from 1924 until 1927.
Military
Point Isabel, C.S.A.
After Texas seceded and joined the Confederacy, the Federal Navy in late 1861 blockaded this port with the U.S. "Santiago de Cuba". Commerce stoppage caused removal of customs offices to Brownsville and some civilians to neutral Bagdad, Mexico. The Confederates ceased to use the lighthouse, and it became a watch tower for blockade runners, and thus Laguna Madre their haven. Boats from the U.S.S.
History
Port Isabel (Old Point Isabel)
Site of a ranch settlement, owned by Don Rafael Garcia, called "El Fronton de Santa Ysabel" (Bluff of Saint Isabel) about the year 1828. The Mexican custom station was located here in 1844, after the villages of Brazos Santiago and Boca Del Rio were swept away by storms. Goods landed here were at once freighted inland to Matamoros.
History
Port Isabel Cemetery
Encompassing almost one acre of land, the Port Isabel Cemetery is located on property granted to Don Rafael Garcia by the government of Mexico in 1829. The land was known as the Santa Ysabel Grant, and Garcia soon established a ranch he named El Fronton de Santa Isabel (Saint Elizabeth's Bluff).
History
Port of Brownsville
The first serious attempt to study the possibility of construction of a deep water seaport in this part of South Texas was undertaken in 1854 when a survey was conducted by United States Army engineers. At that time, the only natural harbor in the area was located at Brazos de Santiago Pass near Point Isabel (16 mi. NE).
History
Port of Matamoros
The Port of Matamoros was established in 1824. Commercial cargo, shipped mainly from New Orleans and other U.S. ports, was unloaded at the port and transported overland to Matamoros, Reynosa, Camargo, Monterrey, and Mier. Mexico maintained a garrison and at least one Navy vessel at the port. This area was the site of numerous naval encounters between the U.S.
History
Post Hospital
In March 1868, Captain William Alonzo Wainwright arrived in Brownsville to supervise the rebuilding of Fort Brown following the Civil War and an 1867 hurricane. One of the first structures built under his direction was the Post Hospital, completed in 1869 and noted for its classical design and Palladian influences. First Lt. William C.
History
Post Hospital Annex
Completed in 1869 during the rebuilding of Fort Brown by Captain William Alonzo Wainwright, the Post Hospital Annex (also known as the Medical Laboratory), was constructed to house personnel assigned to work in the nearby Post Hospital. A finely crafted, classically influenced building, it subsequently was used as a medical laboratory, for storage purposes, and as a dispensary.
History
Public Market and Town Hall
Authorized 1850. On land deeded forever for this purpose. Butchers, other vendors moved in during 1851. Building complete with top story and bell tower, 1852. Town hall over market used for Presbyterian church services. In high wind of 1867 lost its second floor. Restored 1868. Remodeled 1912, 1948. Original foundations and walls still survive in the modern market.
History
Queen Isabel Inn
Built by 1906 to lodge Rio Grande Railroad Company passengers and tourists, especially fishermen and hunters, the Queen Isabel Inn was first known as "Point Isabel Tarpon & Fishing Club". The hotel hosted family train excursions from Brownsville as early as 1907. Prominent visitors to the inn included president-elect Warren G. Harding in November of 1920.
History
Rabb Plantation
Today, commonly referred to as the Rabb Plantation, this was originally known as Rancho San Tomas and, then, San Tomas Plantation. It encompassed 20,353 acres stretching north from the banks of the Rio Grande to the Arroyo Colorado. In 1885, Mifflin Kenedy conveyed San Tomas to his stepdaughter, Maria Vicenta Starck.
History
Rancho de Santa Maria
Part of Spain's 1777 La Feria Grant (12.5 leagues), partitioned into 6 units 1843. Here in 1850's was a sub-post of Fort Brown (28 mi. SE) and Fort Ringgold (65 mi. NW). This was proposed site in 1860's for "Homeville", this locality's first small-acreage promotion. Present compound, built 1870 by L.J. Hynes, has buildings for dairy, kitchen, ammunition.
History
Rancho Viejo
Here Jose Salvador de la Garza built his ranch El Espiritu Santo in 1771; First European settlement in Cameron County
History
Rogers Massacre
U.S. annexation of Texas in December 1845 intensified Mexico's asserted claim to Texas. In March 1846 U.S. Commander Zachary Taylor advanced his Federal Army beyond the Nueces River and established a supply base at Point Isabel and a garrison (Fort Brown) on the north bank of the Rio Grande. Roswell D.
History
Rosalio Longoria House
The oldest residence in La Feria. Built in 1909 by local carpenter Felipe Perez for Rosalio Ponce Longoria (1872-1965), a contractor who cleared land for developers to build railroads and other Rio Grande Valley improvements. His board and batten house originally had two main rooms, two small bedrooms, the long front porch and a kitchen with brick chimney for a wood burning stove.
Architecture
Russell-Cocke House
Built in 1877 for Judge William H. Russell (1838-1882), this house was purchased by Virginian and Confederate veteran Joseph James Cocke (1841-1926) in 1885. The Cocke family continued to live in the home until the late 1940s. The eclectic Victorian house displays Italianate and Greek Revival influences in such features as its Classical proportion and massing and its bracketed porch supports.
History
Sabas Cavazos Cemetery
Established in 1878 with the burial of rancher and businessman Sabas Cavazos, this small cemetery has served the Cavazos and related families for more than a century. It is located within the Portrero de Don Sabas Cavazos, a portion of the Espiritu Santo land grant conveyed to Jose Salvador de la Garza by the King of Spain in 1781.