History
Lockhart Vocational High School (Carver HS)
According to local tradition, materials salvaged from Ross Institute, a former school for Lockhart's caucasian children, were used in 1923 to build this school for African American students. The Rosenwald Foundation of Chicago, which funded many African American schools in the south in the early 20th century, provided the design and part of the construction cost.
History
Martindale School and Gymnasium
Martindale's School and Gymnasium operated from 1921-1968 and served as a gathering spot for the entire community. Many recall fond and formative memories of 'Old Martindale School,' whose large size brought the town together in sharing culture through education and entertainment.
History
Mebane House
Alexander Duff Mebane (1855-1923) built this house for his family in 1918. A cotton farmer, Mebane developed a high-lint, drought-, storm-, and boll weevil-resistant cotton that would become known worldwide as Mebane Triumph Cotton. Exhibiting influences of the prairie school style, this two-story brick structure features pedimented portico entrances at two sides.
History
Polonia Cemetery
The three-acre tract of land that was the Polish settlement of Polonia was deeded to Bishop John Neraz of the Catholic Diocese of San Antonio in 1894 by Joseph and Veronica Dzierzanowski. The community was founded one year after the death of Simon Dzierzanowski (1853-1896), who was the first to be buried in his family's cemetery on this site.
Industry & Science
Rafael Rios No. 1
(Located 0.8 Mi.N, on Farm Road 671) Discovery well of Luling Field, a major Texas oil area. Wildcatter E.B. Davis drilled on land owned by R. Rios. Well came in Aug. 10, 1922, after 3 dry holes had been drilled in same area. Magnolia (now Mobil) Oil Co. bought filed 1926. By 1969, production was 135,000,000 barrels. Incise on back: Donated by Mobil Oil Corporation.
History
Rosenwald School
Julius Rosenwald created the Rosenwald fund in 1917 to endow new African American schools. Luling's Rosenwald school opened in 1925 to replace the Luling Colored School which began operation in 1874. The Rosenwald School employed four teachers for ten grades and was built on 2.5 acres including a shop, library, home economics and vocational departments. P. W. Tucker was the first principal.
History
Saint John Colony
This community began in the early 1870s when a group of freedmen and their families, led by the Rev. John Henry Winn, relocated here from Webberville (approx. 20 mi. N). The original fourteen families purchased about 2,000 acres of land to establish a town and family farms. Originally named Winn's Colony in honor of John H.
History
Susanna Dickinson Hannig - Messenger of the Alamo
At this site once stood the home of Susanna Dickinson Hannig (1814-1883), who came to Texas from Tennessee in 1831 with her husband Almeron Dickinson. He died at the Battle of the Alamo on March 6, 1836. Susanna, with her daughter Angelina, was among the survivors. She carried news of the Alamo's capture to Gen. Sam Houston, commander of the Texas Army.
Architecture
The Coopwood House
A one-story residence stood on this lot when businessman James G. Blanks (1862-1927) purchased the property in 1896. He added another floor and completed the house in the classical revival style popular at the time. In 1908 Blanks sold the structure to Dr. Thomas Benton Coopwood (1860-1932), a noted Lockhart physician who served as Caldwell County health officer for over 30 years.
Architecture
The Fritz Zedler Home
Born in Germany, Fritz Zedler (1840-1932) came to Texas in 1852. He moved to Luling in 1884 and began operation of Zedler's Mill, soon a thriving business. This house, built in 1900 from Zedler's own plans, testifies to his pride and prosperity. The original structure had ten rooms and four porches. In 1964 Zedler's daughter, Frances, sold the house.
Industry & Science
Wattsville Gin
From about 1880 to the early 1920s, residents of Wattsville, Hall and other nearby towns used a cotton gin located here. Brothers Zechariah John and Thomas Watts settled the area ca. 1855, building the gin and also a general store and blacksmith shop.
History
William Johnson Cabin
The Rev. William Johnson (1822-89), farmer and Baptist minister who came to Texas in 1833, built this shotgun-style cabin near Tenney Creek (11 mi. NE of Luling) in 1870s. Family included five children. His son, W. E. (Billie) became a physician in Tilmon. Since 1893 the Jeff Connolly family has owned Johnson's land. T. B. Coopwood, M. d., used cabin as office in late 1890s. Mr. and Mrs.
Industry & Science
Zedler's Mills
John and James Merriwether and Leonidas Hardeman in 1874 built gristmill and sawmill at this site, with stone dam across the San Marcos. Bob Innes, John Orchard, J. K. Walker, and Fritz Zedler, as Luling Water Power Co., bought mills (1884), adding cotton gin. A milling veteran, Zedler in 1888 bought all stock and made eldest son partner. The gin, soon burned, was rebuilt. Units were added.