History
Andrew Lee Brock
Tennessee native Andrew Lee Brock (1830-1904) moved to Caldwell County in 1848, and he married Rebecca Montgomery Wayland. Two years later, Rebecca's father gave the couple a parcel of land on Boggy Creek as a wedding gift, and Brock built a log cabin on the site. Brock cultivated cotton, grains and vegetables and also operated a cotton gin on his property.
Military
Battle of Plum Creek
The harsh anti-Indian policies of President Mirabeau B. Lamar and Mexican efforts to weaken the Republic of Texas stirred Indian hostilities. Hatred increased after the Council House Fight in San Antonio, March 19, 1840, where 12 Comanche chief were killed.
History
Burial site of Rev. John McCullough
(April 3, 1805 - January 7, 1870) Born in Pennsylvania; educated at Princeton; in New Jersey, 1835, ordained a missionary. In 1838 came to Texas. Elected chaplain, House of Representatives, Third Congress, Republic of Texas, 1839. Founded First Presbyterian Church, Galveston, 1840. Moved in 1841 to Columbia-on-the-Brazos.
History
Caldwell County
A part of De Witt's Colony, 1825-1836. A part of Gonzales County to 1848. First settlements were on Plum Creek and the San Marcos River. Created March 6, 1848; organized August 7, 1848. Named in honor of Mathew Caldwell, "Old Paint," 1798-1842, soldier-statesman. Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, Commander of the Texas Rangers. Lockhart, the county seat.
History
Caldwell County Courthouse
The first Caldwell County Courthouse was erected on this site in 1848, when the county was organized and named for Mathew Caldwell, a Texas Ranger and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. It was replaced in 1858 by a 2-story limestone edifice, measuring 65 feet by 40 feet, with six offices and two rooms for storing records.
History
Caldwell County Jail
Organized in 1848, Caldwell County lost its original log jail in an 1858 fire, then kept prisoners in the Courthouse basement until 1873, when outlaws' activities called for a strong stone prison. In 1908 Caldwell countains voted 725 to 311 for a $25,000.00 bond issue to erect this castellated brick structure. The jailer's quarters occupy the ground floor, over a storage area in the basement.
Architecture
Cardwell Home
John Madison Cardwell (1838-1917) moved to Caldwell county at the age of eighteen. After serving in the Civil War, he returned to Lockhart and opened a mercantile store on the Courthouse Square. He had this home built in 1917, but died before its completion. His wife Martha (Withers) lived here until her death in 1944.
History
Cementerio Navarro Historico
Also known as the Mexican Cemetery, this burial ground has served the Mexican-American community of Lockhart since around 1900. The earliest dated burial here, of area settler Severiano Sanchez, dates to 1901. Since that time, the cemetery has served primarily Hispanic and Roman Catholic residents. A number of community leaders are interred here.
History
City of Luling
Founded when Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad line intersected a main wagon road from South Texas to Austin. Many families of the Atlanta community (3 mi. SE) relocated here. Plum Creek Post Office, opened nearby in 1848, also moved here and was renamed Luling. The city was chartered Sept. 19, 1874. Original mayor was W. H. McClelland. The first aldermen were Jesse R. Bond, L. C.
History
Clark Cemetery
Clark Cemetery James E. Clark was born in North Carolina in 1826. He later moved to Texas, marrying Mary E. Roberts in Bastrop County in 1860. In January 1881, he bought land in this area. Here, he and Mary reared nine children. In 1884, James set aside land for a school and a family cemetery. He was buried here in 1898, and his grave is the first marked in the cemetery.
History
Clark's Chapel Cemetery
As part of a group of settlers, William A. Clark moved with his wife, Nancy (Copenhaver), and children to Caldwell County from Alabama in 1850. Clark purchased land in this vicinity in 1854. Early community residents met in homes and out of doors for worship services, and in 1877, at the Clarks' home, 26 men and women organized the Clark's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, under the…
History
Delhi
The earliest known permanent settlers in this area were Orrin L. and Susannah Winters and their extended family. By 1873, enough of a settlement existed to make application for a U. S. Post Office. Postal officials rejected the first name selected for the community, Iron Mountain, but accepted the second name, Delhi.
History
Dr. D. Port Smythe
(1824-1889) Pioneer Lockhart physician, from Alabama. Studied medicine, University of Pennsylvania. Was Civil War surgeon, Texas Mounted Rifles and Cavalry, on Texas frontier and in Louisiana, Arkansas and Indian Territory.
Architecture
Dr. Eugene Clark Library
Built in 1899 and dedicated on July 6, 1900, this library was financed with funds bequeathed by Dr. Clark, who was a prominent physician of Lockhart and San Antonio. A native of New Orleans, he was a graduate of Tulane Medical School and studied in Vienna, Austria. He was an eye, ear, nose, and throat specialist. He died, while still a young man, in New York City in 1897.
History
Edgar B. Davis, Oil Pioneer-Philanthropist
(Feb. 2, 1872 - Oct. 14, 1951) One of the great benefactors of Texas. Born in Brockton, Mass. Had business careers in shoe manufacture and rubber planting. On retirement, came here and in wildcat operation brought in Luling Oil Field, 1922. By 1926 had 215 producing wells.
Architecture
Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Organized in 1853 by the Rev. Joseph Wood Dunn, this parish erected its own church building in 1855-56. Bishop G. W. Freeman, who dedicated the edifice in 1857, noted its fine acoustics. It was built of an early type of concrete fashioned from caliche, gravel, and sand. The belfry was damaged by an 1879 tornado and removed, but the original stone floor remains.
History
Episcopal Church of the Annunciation
Luling's first church building. The Rt. Rev. Robert W. B. Elliott (1840-87), first bishop, missionary district of western Texas, enroute to his see city, held his original service in the district in a Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railway passenger car in Luling on Dec. 20, 1874, eight months after town's founding. Early in 1875, the Rev. Wallace Carnahan preached here. The rev.
Architecture
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Lockhart
Organized in 1852 with seven members, this congregation constructed its first sanctuary in 1858. Located across the street from this site, it soon became too small for the growing membership. In 1898, this Gothic revival building was designed and built by Tom Hodges, who served as the architect on several public buildings in Lockhart.
Architecture
Francis-Ainsworth House
Doctor Sidney Joseph Francis (1867-1935) settled in Luling in 1889 after earning a medical degree from Tulane University. He purchased this site which included four town lots in October 1895. One month later he married Annie Davis Gregg, granddaughter of Bishop alexander Gregg, the first Episcopal bishop in Texas. A modest frame house was constructed for Dr. and Mrs.
History
Harris Cemetery
Sidon H. Harris and his family arrived in Texas in 1851, and moved to this vicinity in 1856. Harris and his wife, amanda, bought two parcels of land, and this family cemetery was begun when Sidon died in 1861. Two Harris children were buried here in 1862, followed by Amanda in 1866. Descendants later sold the land, with the understanding that the cemetery would be maintained.
History
Humphreys Cemetery
Members of the Jennings and Humphreys families settled in the Martindale area in the 1850s. They established a cemetery on land bought by Joseph Humphreys in 1855. Set aside on this raised area, the burial ground initially served family members who had settled the 2,000 acres adjoining the site. Randolph Reed Jennings (d.
History
Isham Jones Good
Born in Georgia, Isham Jones Good (1813-1866) came to Texas in 1835 with a group of volunteers to join the Texian forces in their war for independence from Mexico. As a member of the Georgia battalion, Good went to the aid of Col. James W. Fannin, but escaped death or capture in the Goliad Massacre in March 1836.
History
Jeffrey Cemetery
Tennessee native Abraham Roberts wed Cynthia Jeffrey in Alabama in 1828. The couple arrived in Seguin, Texas, ten years later with their family. In 1840, Roberts purchased land on Tinney's Creek in what was then Gonzales County. He and other area residents petitioned the Texas Legislature to create a new county, which was formed in 1847 and named Caldwell.
Architecture
Karbach-Flowers Home
Local cotton buyer Julius W. Karbach (1869-1943) had this two-story residence constructed in 1911. Built by Louis Neeb, it features characteristics of the Victorian and classical revival styles. In 1924 the house was purchased by Martin Owen Flowers (1874-1944), a former Lockhart city attorney.
History
Lincecum Cemetery
Garland R. Lincecum, cousin of Alamo hero James Bowie, and his wife Emmaline left Mississippi and settled on land ha had purchased here in 1847. Lincecum, who signed a petition with others to create Caldwell County in 1847, died in 1853 and was the first person buried here. Three of his daughters were married to the sons of fellow Mississippian Alexander Roberts, who settled in this area in 1843.