History
Site of the Texas Home of Richard Ellis
A Virginian by birth and education - Jurist and statesman of Alabama, 1813-1825 - Came to Texas, 1825 - President of the Constitutional Convention, March 1836, and member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas - Born February 14, 1781 - Died here December 20, 1846 Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Texarkana
Founded when Texas & Pacific railroad platted townsite and held sale of lots on Dec. 8, 1873, to open regional shipping point. Strategically located on famed Indian trail from the Mississippi to Mexico, site had already been named (for its Texas-Arkansas-Louisiana trade area) by several persons-- a physician, a priest, a surveyor, a medicine show barker, a statesman, and others.
Architecture
The Jamison Building
Mississippi-born Dr. Garling Urih Jamison, Sr., (1881-1951) opened this structure in 1930 as Texarkana's first black business and professional office building. Designed by the Texarkana architectural firm of Witt, Seibert, and Halsey, it features an interesting and decorative use of brick.
History
Town of Nash
Begun about 1873; first named "T. C. Junction" for its location on Transcontinental Division of Texas & Pacific Railroad. In 1884 post office was established and named "Park", after Dr. J. N. Parker, the first postmaster. First school started 1885 in single room. New buildings have been erected in 1904, 1924, 1967.
History
Trammel's Trace
Entered Texas at this point. The 1813 road from St. Louis brought in great numbers of pioneers: Stephen F. Austin, his settlers, Sam Houston, James Bowie, David Crockett and others who died in the Texas Revolution. From here pointed southwest. Crossed the Sulphur at Epperson ferry, going south to Nacogdoches, linking "Southwest Trail" with the King's Highway to Mexico.
Architecture
United States Post Office and Courthouse
Currently, only Federal office building to straddle state line. Present Texas-Arkansas state boundary (established in 1841 by United States and Republic of Texas) passes through center. Each state had separate post offices until 1892, when first joint office was built on this site. It was razed in 1930, and in 1933 the present structure was completed.
History
Whitaker House
Built before 1891 by Benjamin F. Whitaker (1845-1916), member of Texas Senate (1893-97), partner of his brother in lumber business and a railroad that became part of Kansas City Southern line. He handpicked materials for this residence for his own family. Ex-sheriff Bryant Hargett and family were living here by 1904 when a "souvenir" book featured the house as a Texarkana showplace. Mr. and Mrs.
Military
World War I Memorial
In memory of the men from Bowie County, Texas and Miller County, Arkansas, who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of their country in the World War 1917-1918. They and their comrades fought not for selfish gain nor for one foot of added territory, but for the highest ideal ever upheld by man--the peace of the world.