Architecture
"Ace of Clubs" House
Has 3 groups of octagonal rooms (leaves of a club) opening on a rotunda backed by long rectangular rooms (the Club's stem). Rotunda has a marble mantel, French mirrors and spiral stairway and is topped with 20-foot tower. Built 1884 by J. H. Draughan. Owned since 1894 by Henry Moore family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Cemetery for Old Harrison Chapel
Founded 1840 by Republic of Texas pioneers Charles Moores (1776-1852) and wife, Mary Harrison. Extinct all-faiths chapel, where circuit riders served, named for her parents (of South Carolina). This 5-acre family-community burial plot contains about 100 graves.
Architecture
Central Christian Church
Founded in 1883 with the Rev. J. C. Mason as first pastor, the Central Christian Church congregation built this structure in 1932. Construction was supervised by architect and church member E. C. Seibert (1878-1941), who used carefully placed bricks to achieve a distinctive pattern.
History
Cervini House
Joseph Cervini (1857-1922) came to Texarkana from Genoa, Italy in 1884 and opened a restaurant. With profits from downtown land investments, he had this home built for his family in 1914. Exhibiting influences of the bungalow and Prairie School styles, the home features a two-story wraparound gallery, brick piers, cast-stone heavy balusters, and a low-pitched tile hipped roof.
History
Dan LaFayette McDuffie
(February 16, 1883 - July 7, 1931) Last Ranger killed on duty in East Texas oil boom of 1930's. A third generation enforcement officer; learned methods, skills from an uncle, Texarkana police chief. Held first office at 18. Won fame in 1923 amnesty, when 82 liquor stills were turned in. Spent 30 years as county peace officer, railroad special agent, and Texas Ranger.
History
De Kalb
Named for Maj. Gen. Johann de Kalb - a hero of the American Revolution - upon suggestion (1836) of David Crockett, a visitor on his way to fight in Texas War for Independence. Other Texas heroes traveling through here were James B. Fannin and Wm. B. Travis. Settled by 1831, when land was given for a public school by Dr. W. H. Boyce, Wm. L. Browning, D. M. Chisholm, Clement R.
History
Dr. A. H. A. and Ruby Jones House
Ruby Lee Williams (1900-1979) was born in Texarkana to George and Carrie Williams. In 1928, she wed Jamaica-born Austin Hervin Archibald Jones (1901-1962), a successful dentist with a degree from Howard University. Ruby designed this bungalow-style home, utilizing African American craftsmen to build it in 1938. The home features decorative brickwork and a unique cubical tower.
Architecture
Ellis House
Built in 1893 as the home of Gaither Booker Ellis, local realtor and loan agent, and his wife Mary (Bell), this house was designed and constructed by local builder Charles R. Korn. Erected on land owned by Mrs. Ellis, the two-story Victorian residence was built in an asymmetrical plan with a tower that was removed in the 1920s.
Military
Harvey C. Sanders, C. S. A.
(1837 - 1925) Native of Kentucky. In Civil War, fought at Shiloh, Chickamauga and other battles. After being wounded twice, became a guard at Confederate White House. When Richmond fell on April 3, 1865, was placed in escort for the departing president. Rode 5 weeks toward Florida, where President Jefferson Davis was planning to sail for Mexico to join many other Confederate leaders.
History
Hatchel/Barkman Caddo Indian Village
Near here for 1,000 years, 800-1800 A.D., lived civilized Caddoes, who thought they were the sole survivors of a prehistoric flood and ancestors of all Indians. Their ceremonial mounds stood high above Red River. They had a significant role in exchanges between Puebloan Indians and the Mound-Builders in the east.
History
Hooks
Established about 1848 as a supply center for 5,000-acre plantation of Warren Hooks; 1841-1860 post office for area was Myrtle Springs, home of Hooks' son, Col. Robert W. Hooks, 11th Texas Cavalry, Confederate Army. Post office placed here 1884 was named for Warren Hooks. Farming continued until 1942, when Hooks "boomed" suddenly.
History
Howell W. Runnels Home
Built about 1874 with open hall, wide verandas. Owner came to Texas Republic in 1842. Was in Legislature 1857-59. His wife, former Martha C. B. Adams, acted as first lady of Texas during term of brother-in-law, Governor Hardin R. Runnels, 1857-59. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
Architecture
Hubbard Home
Built 1904 for owner Robt.M. Hubbard. Bayard Witt, architect. Victorian styling, with eight irregular-size gables; leaded glass in bay window. Distinguished visitors have included statesmen and business and social leaders of Texas. Owner R. M. Hubbard was named to Texas Highway Commission in 1918 by Governor W. P. Hobby.
Architecture
Jones-Tyson House
North Carolina styling and garden plantings were brought to Bowie County when Jas. W. and Laura Williams Jones built this home in 1883. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Architecture
Moores-Burke-Ragland Home
This residence was erected in 1895 for Rachel Perry Godbold Moores (1830-1904). Her husband David (1827-1892) was a member of the pioneer Moores family. Henry Koerner designed the Neo-Classical house with decorative fish scale shingling. The interior has elegant parquet flooring. Robert Emmett Burke bought the house in 1904. It was occupied from 1920 to 1965 by the S. M. Ragland family.
History
New Boston
Established as shipping point when Texas & Pacific Railroad was built across Bowie County in 1870s, drawing business from original town of Boston (4 mi. S). New Boston townsite was platted in 1876; its post office opened Jan. 26, 1877, with L. C. DeMorse as postmaster. Baptists organized church here in 1880; Methodists, 1883; Church of Christ, 1943.
History
Offenhauser Building
First brick structure in Texarkana, built about 1879 for First National Bank. On second floor was Kelsey & Offenhauser Insurance Agency. Here in 1883, pioneer businessman F. W. Offenahuser, later a leading agent in Texas and Arkansas, wrote his first insurance policy. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Old Boston
Established while part of Mexico; to serve plantations on Red River. Mail came horseback from Arkansas. Named for W. J. Boston, first storekeeper. A battalion was formed here to fight in Texas Revolution. First Bowie County Seat, 1841. Large stores surrounded square and two-story brick courthouse. Became educational center with 3 fine private schools. Texas governors Hardin R. Runnels and S. W. T.
Architecture
Old Rialto Building
Erected 1902 by George Fouke (1843-1915), pioneer businessman, leader in lumbering, railroads, electric power, other ventures. Triangular style resembles New York's Flatiron Building, also erected 1902. One of the earliest Texarkana buildings with electricity. First used for offices, became apartment hotel. Was converted by Dr. E. L. Beck in 1934 to medical building. Later property of Dr. N. B.
History
Pecan Point Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence
Five of the most prominent delegates to the Constitutional Convention of Texas, held March, 1836, hailed from Pecan Point, in this vicinity. Richard Ellis (an attorney and judge) was chosen president of the meeting and later served four terms in the Senate of the Republic. Collin McKinney (a magistrate) helped draft the declaration and served three terms in the house. A. H.
History
Redwater
The first community in this area was Mooresville (2 mi. E), settled in 1840 by the Charles Moores (1776-1852) family. It had disappeared before this town grew up near the Daniels and Spence sawmill in 1875. Because of mill workers' disregard for religion, the village was first named Ingersoll for the famous agnostic of that day, Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-99). A branch of the St.
History
Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery
The Texas and Pacific Railroad founded Texarkana on December 8, 1873. Anthony Ghio and Col. R.W. Rodgers purchased town lots on the first day of sale. They and several other residents formed Sacred Heart Catholic Church under the leadership of Father Theodore Buffard, a priest from Galveston who served much of the region's Catholic population.
Entertainment & Sports
Saenger Theatre
As a regional entertainment and cultural center, Texarkana once had a number of opera houses and theaters, including this facility built by the Saenger Amusement Co. of New Orleans. A parade and speeches by local dignitaries marked the opening day festivities on Nov. 18, 1924. Emil Weil designed the Classical Revival structure to accommodate stage productions, musical programs and motion pictures.
History
Scott Joplin
(November 24, 1868 - April 1, 1917) Black composer Scott Joplin, often called the "King of Ragtime Music", was born in Texarkana, Texas, five years before the townsite was platted in 1873. His family lived in this vicinity, and he attended nearby Orr School on Laurel Street.
History
Site of Epperson's Ferry
At this crossing, constructed by nature and used by Caddo Indians, early French and Spanish explorers, and travelers over Trammel's Trace, 1815, 1830, Mark Epperson before 1837 established a ferry used until the construction of a wooden bridge antedating the modern structure erected in 1924. Erected by the State of Texas 1936.