Entertainment & Sports
Rialto Theater
This distinctive building served as the flagship of a chain of 22 theaters in south Texas. In March 1922, brothers Henry and Sydney Hall announced plans to build a $25,000 two-story brick motion picture theater in Beeville. They bought this site, and Homer Boots was foreman during the construction, which took five months.
Architecture
Saint Philip's Episcopal Church
First Unit, transept, built 1893 on this site purchased in 1890 from heirs of G.W. McClanahan. In 1910, nave added with funds from sale of block of land given to the missionary jusidiction of Western Texas by English born H.W. Wilson, 1888. Early members donated furnishings, bell tower and 1896 inscribed memorial bell. First Protestant parochial school in county was organized here in 1954.
History
St. Joseph Cemetery
This cemetery has served the Catholic population of Beeville since the late 19th century, when the town experienced impressive growth. Noted bishop Peter Verdaguer of the Brownsville Diocese purchased land here from T.H. Nott in 1891, and the first burial occurred two years later. The St. Joseph Cemetery Association organized in 1920 to maintain the grounds.
History
St. Rose Cemetery
This historic African American burial ground is associated with two congregations organized in the 1880s. Many buried here were members of Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church or Jones Chapel United Methodist Church. Some burials took place prior to the site's official dedication as a cemetery. The earliest known burial, of former slave Nancy Williams, dates from 1901.
History
Town of Pettus
Oil capital of Bee County, Pettus was settled in the 1850's when John Freeman Pettus set up his sprawling ranch about 4 miles south of here. The son of one of Stephen F. Austin's first 300 colonists, Pettus was an extensive cattle and horse breeder. The town, previously called "Dry Medio" for a nearby creek, was named for him during the Civil War.
History
Tuleta
The Rev. Peter Unzicker led a group of Illinois settlers here in 1906. Buying 53.4 acres of land of the original Uranga Grant and later Chittim-Miller Ranch, he founded Tuleta, named for the daughter of J. M. Chittim. A rail depot and post office were opened. In 1909 Pastor Unzicker organized one of Texas' first Mennonite churches.
History
West Side School for Mexican Americans
In the years before Texas became an independent republic, Hispanic and Irish settlers established ranches and farms in this area. Their children received education at home or in community schools. Bee County organized in 1858 and in 1860 Maryville (Beeville) became the county seat. Beeville citizens incorporated in 1893 to form a school district, opening a new school the next year; St.