Architecture
A. C. Jones Home
Built 1906 by Mrs. Jane Field Jones, (1842-1918), philanthropist, builder of a local school and teacherage, widow of "Father of Beeville," Captain A. C. Jones. Occupied 1918-1966 by Mr. and Mrs. Allen Carter Jones, III. Still property of descendants. Early 20th century Baroque architecture, with large formal rooms, 8 fireplaces, hardwood floors, high ceilings.
History
Aransas Creek Settlers
Earliest known residents were Karankawa Indians who named creek. On this stream was one of the most famous ranches in early Texas, occupied in 1805 by Don Martin de Leon, who in 1824 founded Victoria. In 1830's Irish colonists came by way of Copano Bay, settling downcreek. Anglo-Americans from older settlements, came by road and trail, stopping mainly upcreek.
History
Barnard Elliott Bee, Sr.
Statesman, soldier and ambassador, Barnard Elliot Bee, Sr., was a significant figure during Texas' years as a republic (1836-45). He was born in South Carolina to federal judge, Thomas Bee, and Susannah (Bulline) Bee. In 1809, he married Ann Wragg Fayssoux, with whom he had five daughters and two sons.
History
Bee County
1936 plate: Created a county largely from San Patricio in 1857 Organized in 1858. Named for General Barnard E. Bee, 1787-1853 Secretary of War and Secretary of State of the Republic of Texas. Texas Minister to the United States. First railroad in 1886. Oil discovered, 1929. County seat, Marysville, 1858. Beeville, since 1860. 1971 plate: Named for Col. Barnard E.
History
Beeville on the Poesta
Long before Mexico granted land (1834) on Poesta Creek to the first settlers, Anne Burke and James Heffernan, savage Indians roamed this valley at will. Their colony, although successful at first, soon met disaster.
History
Beeville Post Office
The first post office was established in Beeville in 1859, the year after the town's founding. The 1918 building was the first Beeville post office constructed on Federal property - previous locations were county- or privately-owned. The building is a significant example of small town post office designs produced by the U.S. Treasury Department in the early twentieth century.
History
Benjamin Dudley Tarlton Dougherty
Benjamin Dudley Tarlton Dougherty (1923-1978) was born to James Robert and Genevieve Tarlton Dougherty of Beeville, where his father practiced law. Known as Dudley, he lived in Beeville his entire life. Dougherty enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1943.
History
Blanconia (Old N2) Church
The first Baptist church in Refugio County was organized on April 22, 1855, and met in the Doughty Schoolhouse near Refugio. In 1865, the first sanctuary was erected (5 mi.W) and named for the cattle brand of member and benefactor N. R. McDaniel. the Blanco Baptist Association was organized at the "N2" Church in 1873.
Architecture
Camp-Ezell House
A settler's "box" home built of Florida longleaf pine from house razed by Robert A. Ezell in Old St. Mary's. One of the structure's three chimneys served as a flue for two cooking units: kitchen stove and dining room fireplace. Ezell (1845-1936), a stonemason, built at this creek site in 1892. His wife Sara Jane, daughter of influential legislator L.B.
History
Captain A.C. Jones
One of builders of Southwest. Born in Nacogdoches County, son of very early settlers. Became a cattleman; served as sheriff of Goliad County in 1858-1860. In Civil War cavalry of Col. John S. "Rip" Ford for 4 years. Fought at Palmito Hill, war's last battle, 34 days after the surrender of Gen. Robt E. Lee. In 1886, raised $75,000 to build SA and AP railroad from San Antonio to Beeville.
History
Colony Cemetery
Several Norwegian farmers and their families immigrated to this area beginning in 1894. Their settlement became known as Norwegian Colony or, simply, the Colony. In April 1897, Colony residents met to establish a cemetery and a cemetery association. Because three earlier graves were on a corner of Hans Thompson's property, he offered to donate an acre for the burial ground.
History
Commercial National Bank
The Commercial National Bank of Beeville traces its history to January 1893 when several prominent citizens met to organize a financial institution. elected as officers were Dr. L.B. Creath, A.G. Kennedy, John I. Clare, and D.C. Stone. The bank opened in May 1893 with a capital stock of $50,000.
Architecture
Cook Home
Built by John Cook, who was born 1846 in Texas-bound wagon train; at 17 was in Civil War; in 1866 married Frances Miller. Lived in rock house, near this site. With son, R.J., contributed much to area cattle industry, with fine registered Herefords. House, erected 1897 of select long-leaf pine, placed to catch Gulf breezes. Each room opens on a porch.
History
Early Trails in Bee County
From pack trails and wagon roads that marked this area at least 300 years, have developed such modern roads as U.S. Highway 181. The old trails of Indians, wild cattle and mustang horses formed highways for 17th, 18th and 19th century expeditions coming from Mexico to claim sovereignty for Spain over land of Texas.
History
Evergreen Cemetery
Block 1, Beeville original townsite, donated 1859 by Anne Burke. First owned by G.W. McClanahan, land was bought 1862 by county for "Public Burying Ground". In 1872, H.W. Wilson donated northeast strip, land was added on the northwest, and Court gave consent for a fence. Cemetery was restored in 1970. (1970)
History
First Christian Church
Built in 1905. First church to serve the needs of Protestants in Pettus. Called a Christian Church at request of land donor, Mrs. S.B. Hodges. Contributions came from all denominations. On August 29, 1906, the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was organized with 25 members. For many years Baptists, Methodists, and Disciples conducted a union Sunday School and worshipped here.
History
First National Bank of Beeville
Beeville, the county seat of the Bee County since 1860, did not have a secure bank until 1890, when the First National Bank of Beeville opened for business. Prior to that year, the town's only banking facility was A.C. Jones' general store, where some area residents stored money under a loose floorboard behind the counter.
Architecture
George Home
Built in 1890 by Will H. and Julia George of materials from early house on land inherited from her father, Maj. J.H. Wood (Texas Cattle Empire Builder) who came from New York to join Texas War for Independence. Remodeled in 1900, house is raised cottage architecture andhas elegantly detailed interior woodwork. Many social and cultural functions were held here at turn of century.
History
Glenwood Cemetery
In 1901, after nearby Evergreen Cemetery had begun to run out of burial space, local undertaker Christopher Rotzien purchased land adjacent to the St. Joseph Cemetery. The same year, the Eeds family purchased plots in the cemetery and Margaret Ann Eeds was interred in April 1901, making her the first person to be buried in Glenwood Cemetery.
Architecture
McClanahan House
Oldest business structure in Beeville, erected about 1867 on east side of courthouse square, near Poesta Creek. General store, lodging house, post office. Pioneer western style, with southern porches. Built by G.W. McClanahan, Beeville's first merchant, school teacher, postmaster, county clerk, inn keeper, Sunday School superintendent. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964
Transport
Medio Creek Bridge
Built in 1897 by the New Jersey Iron and Steel Company, this bridge has served as one of the major crossings on the road from Beeville to San Antonio. Funding for the bridge was acquired from the sale of bonds from Bee County's permanent school fund. Construction costs totaled $3,990.
History
Normanna
Settlement dates from about 1850. First town, 2 miles west, was called San Domingo for its location near junction of San Domingo and dry Medio Creeks. After railroad was built, 1886, citizens moved to Walton (new flag station) to be on line. Name honored sheriff D. A. T. Walton. When Norwegians settled area, 1890's, Walton became Normanna.
History
Papalote Creek
A few yards south passes Papalote Creek, crossed by the fierce Karankawa Indians who found kite-shaped pebbles and named it Papalote, which means "kite-shaped" or "wing-shaped". Along its banks came the leaders of the Power and Hewetson colonists, holding Mexican land grants in the 1830's. On its Rata tributary there is evidence the Mexican Army camped on its way to suppress the Texas Revolution.
Architecture
Park Hotel
Reinhart C.M. Nelson, one of many midwesterners lured to the area by the promotional literature of land developers, moved his family here from Minnesota in 1905. He built this structure in 1910. Named for its park-like setting, it is an unusual example of standard 20th century hotel form.
Architecture
Praeger Building
San Antonio businessman Albert Praeger (1864-1930) moved to Beeville in the 1890s to open a hardware store and tin shop. He built this Romanesque Revival structure in 1906 to house his business, which included buggies and wagons as well as barbed wire and tools. In 1925 when Sam Mitchell became store manager, the second floor storage space was converted into apartments.