History
Polly's Chapel
Named for Policarpo Rodriguez (1829-1914), Texas Ranger, Army Scout and Guide; 1858 Privilege Creek settler. Converted here to Methodist faith, built with his own hands, in 1882, chapel of native stone, where he and others have preached. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
Architecture
Schmidtke-Callahan House
This home was constructed in the 1870s by Georgia stonemason James Henry White for Charles F. Schmidtke (1839-1884). A native of Germany, Schmidtke was an early Bandera merchant, grist miller, and lumber mill operator. White's grandson J. Calvin Callahan (d. 1958), the owner of a feed store and poultry business, purchased the property in 1927.
History
Site of Old Taylor School
Founded 1883, named for Henry Taylor. He, Gid Thompson and other early settlers gave land and founded school. First trustees were D. Harper, H. Kennedy, H. Taylor. In the first one-room frame building, desks and recitation benches were home made. After it burned, two more were built before consolidation with Utopia, 1937.
History
Spettel Riverside House
John B. Spettel, Jr. (1853-1909), through partnerships with Jacob Koenig, his brother Joseph Spettel and his brother-in-law Louis Schorp, became a successful area cattleman. By 1881 he and his bride Theresa Leibold (1854-1941) were living in this home a mile south of Mitchell's Crossing on the Medina River, now under the waters of Medina Lake.
History
St. Stanislaus Convent and First Catholic School
Polish settlers, who came to Bandera in 1855, built this convent and Catholic school in 1874. All classes, except religion and music, were moved in 1882 to a nearby frame school building. In 1922 a second story was added to the native limestone convent, in which the Sisters lived until a new residence was erected in 1963. The parish school was closed in 1968.
Industry & Science
The Mills of Bandera
Communities in the 19th century relied on mills to provide lumber, shingles, flour and cloth. Local millers and blacksmiths were integral community members, providing the necessary materials for early development. Stephen F.
Museums & Art
Warren Hunter
Artist John Warren Hunter (1903-93), son of J. Marvin Hunter, was born in Kimble County and known for his scenic depictions of Texas. A 1923 graduate of Bandera High School, he soon began printing the Harper Herald with his wife Lora. After attending the Chicago Art Institute and serving in cartographic services during World War II, he opened the Hunter School of Art in San Antonio.