History
Bandera Cemetery
The Bandera Cemetery has served the town of Bandera since the 1850s. The site's oldest burial dates to 1851, before the town's establishment several years later. Many former community leaders of the area are buried in the cemetery. In addition, there are a number of veterans interred here, some involved in military conflicts dating to the Mexican American War (1846-1848) and earlier.
History
Bandera County
A strategic Indian point in early days. Rangers and Comanches struggled here in 1843. In 1854 Elder Lyman Wight settled Mormon colony. In 1855 Poles settled here. From early days a part of Bexar County, created and organized in 1856. Bandera, the county seat founded by John James, Charles de Montel and John Herndon in 1853
Architecture
Bandera County Courthouse
First permanent courthouse for county, which was organized in 1856, but used makeshift quarters for offices and courtrooms until this building was erected 1890-91. Style is local version of the Second Renaissance Revival. White limestone for the structure was quarried locally. B.F. Trester of San Antonio drew the plans--for $5. Contractors: Ed Braden & Sons.
Architecture
Bandera Methodist Church
Built 1880 by members under leadership of B.F. Langford, Sr. Gothic architecture. Hand-cut limestone, with oak timbers. Though enlarged and remodeled, retains original charm. Rev. John Devilbiss (who helped found first Protestant church in San Antonio) held services here 1861. Church organized 1867 by Rev. A.J. Potter; charter members included Rugh, Langford, Stevens Families.
History
Bandera Pass
Celebrated Indian pass known from the earliest days of Spanish settlement. Identified with many a frontier fight and many a hostile inroad. Old Ranger trail from the Medina to the Guadalupe River and the United States Army route between frontier posts followed this route through the mountains.
Industry & Science
Bandera Water Works Complex
Walter and Francis (Adamietz) Ruge created the Bandera Water Works to serve businesses and residences. Walter Trenklebach bought the franchise in 1936, extending the water main to the school and promoting modernization. In 1938, Bandera citizens voted 86 to 1 form a municipal water district, which bought Trenklebach's company and equipment.
History
Bandera, "Cowboy Capital of the World"
The tradition of the Texas cowboy originated from northern Mexico with the vaqueros, individuals mounted on horseback who herded livestock, mainly cattle, through the open prairie. These men became legends in Bandera County. The City of Bandera became known as a cowboy town for recreation and obtaining supplies.
History
Bandera's First Bank
Bandera's First Bank. On Texas Republic land grant. Hand-cut native rock. Built about 1860. A school, home, shop. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
History
Benjamin Franklin and Mary Hay Langford, Jr. Home
Bandera's early settlers included Lyman Wight's Mormon colony, which arrived in 1854. In 1890, John and Jennie Davenport Miller bought this site from colonists George and Virgine Minear hay. George and early Bandera settler Isaac Berry Langford helped build a home for the Millers, who sold it in 1904 to children of the Hays and Langfords: Benjamin Franklin "Frank" Langford, Jr.
History
Captain Jack Phillips
A Bandera County Deputy Sheriff, Capt. Jack Phillips, set out alone on Dec. 29, 1876, on an official visit to Sabinal Canyon. Indians attacked him at Seco Canyon Pass, 22 miles southwest of Bandera. Phillips raced for the nearest settlement. When his horse was shot from under him, he ran for half a mile before being killed.
History
Clark Family Cemetery
Located on the original homestead of Bandera County pioneer Amasa Clark (1825-1927), this small cemetery contains the graves of several generations of the Clark family. The first recorded burial was that of Clark's first wife, Eliza Jane, in 1883. A veteran of the Mexican War and the first permanent settler of Bandera, Amasa Clark operated an orchard and nursery at this site for many years.
History
First Bandera County Courthouse
Georgia stonemason Henry White is credited with building this structure in 1868. In 1877, a store occupied the first floor and the Masonic Lodge met on the top floor. County commissioners bought the building that year to provide space for county offices, then housed in rented quarters. The county retained ownership of the structure after a larger courthouse was erected in 1890.
Museums & Art
Frontier Times Museum
Built 1933 to house Western collection of J. Marvin Hunter, Sr. (1880-1957), noted historian, journalist, editor and author. Having lived throughout the west, he settled in Bandera as owner of "New Era", 1921-1934. In 1923 he founded "Frontier Times"--a magazine devoted to history, border tragedy, and pioneer achievement. By 1926 he was adding relics to the museum's Western library.
History
Great Western Cattle Trail
The Great Western Cattle Trail (also known as the Old Texas Trail and the Dodge City Trail) was the longest of all 19th century trails used to drive cattle from Texas to distant markets. In 1874, Capt. John T. Lytle and other cowboys led 3,500 cattle from south Texas to Fort Robinson, Nebraska.
History
Hendrick Arnold Survey No. 59 Colored Burial Ground
Freedman and soldier Hendrick Arnold (1804-1849) was awarded land following the Texas Revolution for his participation in the Siege of Bexar and the Battle of San Jacinto. He received six surveys in what was then Bexar county, including this property in Bandera county. Thinking of his family, Hendrick gave land to his father, grandmother and brother, Holly Arnold.
History
Historic Log Cribs
These log cribs were constructed by the family of John Travis Walker and his wife, Mariah (Yoast), soon after they settled on the surrounding 400 acres in 1897. Their function was to store feed for livestock, mostly sheep and goats, draft horses or mules, and a milk cow. The craftsmanship suggests they were built by members of the Walker family and friends.
Architecture
Hix Ranch House, 1870
Built for Fabian L. Hicks, a county official and Texas Ranger who styled it after his family home in North Carolina. Building is stone and cypress wood off ranch. Hardware came by ox wagon from San Antonio. This replaced log cabin family occupied in 1855. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Joe H. Newcomer
Special Texas Ranger, Deputy Sheriff, Justice of Peace, Bandera County. World War II shipboard security officer for chemical company. Also Uvalde alderman, county clerk, chief of police. Member Internationl Association of Chiefs of Police. President Texas Chapter, F.B.I. National Academy Associates. A founder and president Southwest Texas Peace Officers Association.
History
Jones Cemetery
In 1879, the Rev. Irvin Jones (1825-1903) deeded two acres of land on his homestead to the Utopia Methodist Church for use as a cemetery. His wife, Elizabeth, had been buried in the center of the two-acre site upon her death in 1886. Early settlers of the Taylor and Utopia communities are buried in the Jones Cemetery, as are several Civil War veterans.
History
Mormon Settlers in Bandera County
Entered the year-old town of Bandera in March, 1854. Leader was Lyman Wight, church elder who had separated from followers of Brigham Young and taken a colony of 250 to Texas in 1846. Settling first in Austin, then Fredericksburg (where they opened grist and saw mills) the group at last established "Mormon Camp" near Bandera on the Medina River.
History
Old Buck Ranch
Settled 1867 by former New Yorker, Judge Edward M. Ross, who had fought in Mexican war, then served in 1850's at Camp Verde, Army's camel post near Bandera. House is hand-cut native stone. Daughter Kate Ross, wife of Ebenezer Buck, of a prominent pioneer family, inherited ranch in 1901.
History
Old Huffmeyer Store
Built 1873 for E. Huffmeyer & brother, by B.F. Langford, Sr., contractor; of native stone. Bandera's oldest building. Used over 30 years by W.J. Davenport, Sr., as general store. Damaged by fire, 1936. Restored and remodeled by Thomas F. Boyle. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
Architecture
Old Jail & Courthouse
Built 1881. Local stone, cypress floors used. Housed county offices until 1890. Used 57 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
History
Old Texas Ranger Trail
This winding, 100-mile trail from San Antonio to Kerrville was, during the 19th century, a strategic patrol road traveled by Texas Rangers to protect the surrounding area from hostile Indian attacks. During uneasy pioneer days roads such as this, regularly scouted by Rangers, helped promote early white settlement by strengthening frontier defense.
History
Pilot's Lounge at Bandera Airpark
Colonel John Henry "Jack" Lapham (1885-1956) was a son of a co-founder of the Texas Company (later Texaco). He was living in San Antonio by 1920 and had many business interests. Jack, his wife, Julie Edna (Capen), and their four children all had pilots' licenses and were known as "The Flying Laphams." Jack's second wife, Lucy Jane (Thomas), was also an accomplished pilot.