History
On This Site Stood the Only Home Owned in Texas by Stephen F. Austin
On this site stood the only home owned in Texas by Stephen F. Austin. It was burned, March 29, 1836, when San Felipe was set afire by Texans to prevent its falling into the hands of the advancing Mexican army under General Santa Anna.
Architecture
Paul and Mahala Hackbarth House
Completed in 1911 for civic leaders Paul and Mahala Hackbarth, this concrete block house is an unusual example of vernacular architecture. Prominent features include a wraparound porch, Ionic columns on piers, and large wood sash windows.
Quirky
Peters-Hacienda Schuetzenverein
Peters Hall was originally built for the Peters-Hacienda Schuetzenverein, a shooting and traditional sportsmans' club organized in 1897. German immigrants moved to this area in droves after Friedrich Ernst (1796-1848) arrived in 1831 and wrote descriptions of Texas to be published in Germany.
Architecture
Preibisch Building
German immigrant Adolph H. Preibisch and his wife, Emilie, came to Austin County in 1860. After the town of Sealy developed along the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad, the Preibisches bought property in the new railroad town. In 1885, Adolph and Emilie Preibisch purchased these lots and hired brick mason John Colleton to construct this commercial building for them in 1886-1887.
History
Saint John's Episcopal Church
This congregation was organized in 1885, five years after the railroad town of Sealy was founded. Among the church's early supporters was railroad official George Sealy, for whom the town was named and who served on the missionary board of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas. The congregation's first building, erected two blocks north of this site in 1889, was destroyed in the 1900 hurricane.
History
Saint Paul Lutheran Church
Lutheran clergy served people in this area as early as 1886, but this congregation did not officially begin until 1890. The first worship service was held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Stern, and Henry Stern deeded land for a church and cemetery. The Rev. Renatus Fiedler served as first pastor, and a church building was dedicated on October 12, 1890.
History
Sam Houston's Camp West of the Brazos
(March 31-April 13, 1836) At the end of March 1836, following the defeat of Texan forces at the Alamo and at Goliad, the retreating Texas army led by Gen. Sam Houston encamped at this site. While in camp here Houston's forces were reorganized and received much needed reinforcements and supplies, including the "Twin Sisters," a pair of cannon.
History
San Felipe de Austin
First Anglo-American capital of Texas. Came into being on July 26, 1828, as capital of the Austin Colony, by decree of the Mexican government. Father of Texas Stephen F. Austin had begun under the 1821 grant from Mexico the settlement of more than 1,000 families.
History
San Felipe de Austin Cemetery
San Felipe de Austin was established in 1824 as the community and administrative headquarters of Stephen F. Austin's original Anglo American colony in Texas. The site for the township was chosen by Austin and the Baron Felipe Enrique Neri de Bastrop. The original 1824 Mexican charter for San Felipe de Austin contains a survey which set aside this site for cemetery purposes.
History
San Felipe Town Hall
Successor to 1828 hall used by "Ayuntamiento" (town council). Conventions of 1832, 1833, and Consultation of 1835 -- leading to Texas Revolution -- met there. Burned during Revolution in 1836. Two story section of present structure was built about 1842 and may have served as county courthouse until 1847. It was joined to a one story school after 1900; moved to this site, 1915.
History
Sealy
Founded in 1879 on the route of the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad, Sealy was named for Galveston businessman and railroad president George Sealy (1835-1901). By January 1880 a depot was established here, and both freight and passenger service were inaugurated. Sealy became a main division point between Galveston and Temple, and the railroad was the town's principal employer.
History
Sealy Cemetery
In 1879 Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company agent George Sealy purchased 11,635 acres at this location from the township of San Felipe de Austin for the purpose of establishing a railroad depot. The village of Sealy soon developed around the depot and on July 5, 1883, it recorded its first burial here, that of the infant Annie Fowlkes.
Architecture
Shelburne-Reinecker House
This house began as a one story residence built in 1882 by prominent lawyer, stage legislator, and merchant James Henry Shelburne (1845-1904) and his wife Mary Ann Perkins. Their heirs sold the house to William and Bertha Reinecker in 1912.
History
Site of First Bellville Masonic Lodge Building
The petition to form a Masonic lodge in Bellville was initiated by members of Chappell Hill Lodge No. 67. Bellville Lodge No. 223 was chartered in 1858. Zimri Hunt, an early Bellville lawyer, served as first Worshipful Master. In 1858, lodge members erected a two-story building at this site.
History
Site of Town of New Ulm
Site of the town of New Ulm. First known as Duff's Settlement in honor of James C. Duff to whom the land was granted in 1841. Settled by Germans after 1845 and renamed in honor of the German city of Ulm. (1936)
History
St. John Lutheran Church
This congregation was organized in 1896 by seven Bellville families assisted by the Rev. O. W. Hartmann, a faculty member of the Evangelical Lutheran College in Brenham (1891-1906). Early worship services were held in the Methodist church building. The Lutheran congregation acquired one acre of land for a church at this site and completed a frame building with a steeple in November 1898. The Rev.
History
Star Hill Cemetery
War of 1812 veteran Bryan Daughtrey and his wife, Anna (Roberts), moved to Texas in 1822 as part of Stephen F. Austin's Second Colony. In 1829, they moved to land here in present Austin County. When Anna died in 1847, Bryant buried her at this site, and he later moved from the area. His sons James and Edward eventually sold the family property to Frederick W. Sternenberg.
History
Stephen F. Austin
Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas, November 3, 1793-December 27, 1836. He planted the first Anglo-American colony in Texas, "The Old Three Hundred". In his several colonies he settled more than a thousand families. He was from 1823 until 1828 the actual ruler of Texas and thereafter its most influential leader.
History
The Wesley Brethren Church
First congregation in Texas of the Czech-Moravian Brethren. Organized 1864 by Rev. Joseph Opocensky. Ministry had begun in homes, with settlers coming as far as 20 miles to worship. This first church built 1866, principally of hand-hewn logs. Necessary lumber was hauled by ox-carts from Galveston. Native rock and oak logs in foundation.
History
Town of Cat Spring
A pioneer German settlement founded in 1832 by members of the Amsler, Kleberg and Von Roeder families.
History
Town of Shelby
Named for 1822 settler David Shelby, this town grew up at the mill of German pioneer Otto Von Roeder. The Ohlendorfs, Vogelsangs, Rothermels, and Vanderwerths arrived in 1845; other Germans came in ensuing years. The post office opened 1846 with Shelby as postmaster. A school (1854), an agricultural society, a singing society and a band were started.
Architecture
Waddell-Dudensing-Bering Home
F.B. Waddell built the front portion and loft of this house about 1842. When German-born William Dudensing (d. 1892) bought the property in 1873, he added rooms at the back. The porch was extended across the front by others in his family who owned the house until 1956. August C.
History
Wallis Cemetery
Also known as the Protestant Cemetery, this burial ground has served the Wallis community and surrounding area since the 1890s. The earliest settlers in the area were William and Lydia Ann (English) Guyler, Kentucky natives who arrived here in 1859. William Guyler built a grist mill, cotton gin and saw mill in the community which was known as Bovine Bend; he was also the settlement's postmaster.
History
Wallis State Bank
Settlement in this area began in the late 1830s. In 1880, when the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway built a spur from Galveston to Temple, circumventing Houston, the community became known as Wallis Station and later Wallis, after a rail company executive. As the population grew with new residents and businesses, the community's need for a bank became apparent.
History
Welcome Lutheran Church
Organized March 28, 1869, with 12 charter members. Two of these gave site for a house of worship. Erected in 1869, it was rebuilt here in 1898, 1900 (following destruction by hurricane), and 1954. Some of original fixtures and 1878 bell are still in use. (1970)