History
Haynie-Embrey House
In 1887 Nellie Brophy Haynie (1860-1937) a widow with one son Robert (1880-1955), married Confederate Army veteran John T. Embrey (d. 1918). They built this frame Victorian house in Brenham in 1899-1900. Here they raised a family of five children. Robert Haynie and his half brother Wilford J. Embrey (1889-1975) attended law school at the University of Texas.
History
Henniger Family Cemetery
(1 mi. west of this site) Nicholaus Henniger (1794-1853) came to Texas from Germany in 1847 with his wife Fredericke and children Christian, Hermann, August, Caroline and Pauline. On his farm he built a log house, kept peace with passing Indians, and prospered as a cattleraiser. With neighbors, he helped build a gristmill, establish a school, and preserve German traditions.
History
Hess-Kollatschny Farm House
Austrian-born Henry Hess (1851-1914) and his wife Fransiska (Schlapota) (b. 1854) built this cottage in 1876-77 in the German settlement of Cat Spring. Purchased by Charles (b. 1875) and Fannie (b. 1879) Kollatschny in 1904, the home was enlarged about 1915 and remained in that family over 50 years.
History
Hill House
The first known person to occupy the land where the Hill House is located was Judge Robert M. "Three Legged Willie" Williamson. During his ownership, the community of San Felipe de Austin was burned to the ground by order of Moseley Baker, a garrison leader under the command of Gen. Sam Houston's army during the Texas Revolution.
History
Industry
Site of the first permanent German settlement in Texas, 1831. Founded by Friedrich Ernst, born at Varel, Oldenburg, Germany. Immigrated to America, 1829 and to Texas in 1831. Died here in 1858. The town was laid out in 1838.
History
Industry State Bank
ON FEBRUARY 11, 1911, A GROUP OF LOCAL CITIZENS TOOK THE FIRST STEPS IN FORMING A BANK TO BE CALLED FIRST GUARANTY STATE BANK OF INDUSTRY. DR. B.E. KNOLLE SERVED AS THE BANK'S FIRST PRESIDENT AND E. LINDEMANN SERVED AS FIRST VICE PRESIDENT. BY JUNE OF THAT YEAR, THE BANK OPENED FOR BUSINESS AT 1559 MAIN STREET. SHAREHOLDER AND CASHIER H.L.
History
Industry United Methodist Cemetery
This burial ground has served Industry, the oldest permanent German settlement in Texas, since the mid-1800s. Property for a cemetery was deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1854. During the 1860s, the church split into the Methodist Church South and the Methodist Church North, dividing the cemetery as well. In 2003, the two portions of the burial ground were rejoined.
History
J. J. Josey General Store
Built by John Crutcher in 1847 of the Plaza de Commercio in San Felipe, this was the last store built in the town after its 1836 burning by military order. Purchased in 1867 by Dr. J. J. Josey, it was in continuous operation as a store until 1942. The building has been relocated a number of times.
History
James Bradford Pier
(Nov. 23, 1813-Feb. 5, 1888) A native of Circleville, Ohio, J. B. Pier came to Texas in 1835 with his wife, Lucy (Merry). The Piers settled in this area near the site of the early Texas town of Travis. Pier served as a member of the Texas Army during the War for Independence. He was detailed as a rear guard at the camp opposite Harrisburg during the Battle of San Jacinto.
History
Joachim H. Hintz
Johann Joachim Henrich Frederick (J. H.) Hintz (1841-1920), a native of Zisendorff, Mecklenburg, Germany, immigrated to the U.S. with his family in 1855. The Hintzes settled in the Millheim area, and Joachim joined the Cat Spring Agricultural Society in 1861.
History
John Bell Lewis Home
Influential Austin county resident John Bell Lewis (1845-1920) was born on a plantation near Coffeeville, Alabama. His grandmother Betty Washington Lewis was George Washington's sister. Lewis grew up near present Winedale, Texas, and served the Confederate army in several major Civil War battles.
History
John Friedrich Ernst, Jr.
A native of Oldenburg, Germany, John Friedrich Ernst (1820-1863) emigrated to the United States with his family at the age of nine. In 1831, they traveled from New York City to Texas, finally arriving in what is now the town of Industry. The Ernsts were one of the first families to settle in what became a center of German culture in Texas.
Architecture
John Reichle General Merchandise (Welcome Store)
Originally operated by the John Reichle Family, this store opened about 1890. Damaged by a storm about 1900, the original 2-story building was changed to its current 1-story configuration with asymmetrical front gables, a full-width porch, and exterior walls that are a combination of horizontal siding and vertical board and batten siding. The business was acquired by the Clemons S.
History
John Shelburne Cemetery
John Shelburne Cemetery Nancy and John Pamplin, their eleven children, and Nancy's mother, Jane Dunkin, came to Texas from Lauderdale, Alabama in 1837. They settled here the following year and established a plantation along Mill Creek. In 1842, John and his son-in-law, Alfred Minton, joined the Republic of Texas army to turn back the invasion of Gen. Adrian Woll.
History
Josef Lidumil Leshikar
(May 16, 1806-October 21, 1887) Born along the Czech-Moravian border, Josef Lidumil Leshikar received early training as a tailor. During the revolution of 1848, he became a spokesman for political freedom in his homeland. In 1853 he led a group of immigrants to the new Czech settlements in Austin county.
Architecture
L. A. and Adelheid Machemehl House
A significant example of the Craftsman bungalow designed by prominent Houston architect Alfred C. Finn, this house is unusual for its one-and-one-half story form. The residence displays hallmark geometric ornamentation, broad porches, and a small second floor that rises above the first floor roofline in a form sometimes called "airplane bungalow".
History
Liedertafel
Sealy's German immigrants were famous for their love of music. A group of men, some of them Sealy's pioneer settlers, had formed a singing society, called Liedertafel, by 1899. They met primarily in the home of Ferdinand Lux. Lux and Fritz Kinkler, Jr., gave land for the establishment of a permanent building in 1912-1914.
History
Lindemann Store
The history of the Lindemann Store dates to 1884, when Edward Lindemann (1859-1931) and Franz Getschmann opened a general store in the German community of Industry. By 1889, the business had prospered so well that Lindemann bought his partner's share of the store.
Architecture
Lindemann-Ott House
This house dates to 1870, when Jacob Ott (1848-1932) began construction on a home with his carpenter neighbor, August Gruensendorf. The bottom story of the two-level structure was used for his baking business and the upper story was Ott's residence. Ott had settled in Industry five years earlier after emigrating from Worms, Germany.
History
Martin Allen
(November 28, 1780-December 30, 1837) As a young man Martin Allen assisted his father, Benjamin, in surveying roads in their native state of Kentucky. He married Elizabeth Vice in 1804 and by 1810 they and their three children were living in Louisiana. Martin joined the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition's bid to rid Texas of Spanish rule in 1812-1813.
History
Meinecke Cemetery
Johann Friedrich and Sophie Koyn Meinecke established this burial ground in 1858, when two of their sons drowned in the Brazos River. The Meineckes came to Kenney after emigrating from Bremen, Germany in 1847.
Civic & Local
Millheim Harmonie Verein
German immigrants arriving in Texas during the 1840s soon established singing societies in their new communities to carry on the traditions of their homeland. Although in existence by 1856, the Millheim Harmonie Verein officially organized in 1873. The first minutes of the group show that the first elected officers were E. G. Maetze, president; W. Mersmann, vice president; C.
History
Near This Site Stood a Town Hall
Built about 1830 in which were held the First and Second Conventions of Texas, 1832 and 1833, and the Consultation of 1835 the provisional government functioned here until March 2, 1836. When the Republic was formed at Washington on the Brazos the building was burned with the town, March 29, 1836, to prevent its falling into the hands of the advancing Mexican army.
History
New Ulm Cemetery
The town of New Ulm was originally called Duff's Settlement at the time of its founding, and was named for James C. Duff, who in 1841 acquired title to the site upon which the sttlement was founded. A post office began operation in 1853.
History
Oak Knoll Cemetery
Frederick William (1800-1854) and Marie Louise Starke (1827-1894) Luhn purchased 697 acres here in 1848. When Frederick died in 1854, he was buried on this homestead just east of their log home. A year later, Marie married John Siegfried (1821-1898). As the need arose, the Siegfrieds offered the use of the site for burials.