Architecture
1921 Young County Jail
Designed by Dallas architect C.H. Leinbach, this Young County jail was completed in 1921 by Henger & Chambers Co. The three-story concrete and brick building reflects Commercial architectural style with Prairie influences. It features a half basement, living quarters for the sheriff and family on the first floor, jail cells on the second and third floors and an indoor gallows.
History
Addie M. Graham
Born in Indiana in 1843, Agnes Mary ("Addie") Kinter married Edwin Smith Graham in 1865. Upon hearing of the opportunities for land development in Texas, Graham traveled to Texas many times during the 1870s. In 1872, he and his brother, G. A., founded this town. They gave land for a county courthouse and set aside lots for churches, schools, and cemeteries. In 1879, E. S.
Architecture
An 1890 Bank Building
Irish quarrymen mined stone for this Victorian structure on Bower's Hill (2 mi. N), near home of bank director, L. J. Bower. With its fine quality masonry and woodwork, the bank building added dignity to the Courthouse Square. An abstract firm and land office occupied the upper floor. After drought in its north Texas and Indian Territory trade areas, the bank failed in 1895. In 1906 W. I.
History
Brazos Indian Reservation School
Operated for Indian children living on Brazos Reservation, a 37,000-acre refuge created by state in 1854. Here over 1,000 Anadarko, Caddo, Delaware, Ioni, Shawnee, Tawakoni, and Tonkawa people lived, farming and acting as U.S. Army Scouts. Despite racial strife outside reserve, teacher Z. E. Coombes (1833-95) reported unusual good will and harmony in classroom.
History
Brazos River Indian Reservation
In February 1854 the Texas Legislature designated 12 Spanish leagues (or 53,136 acres) of land to be maintained as Indian Reservations by the Federal government. In August 1854, Major Robert S. Neighbors, United States supervising Indian agent, and Captain Randolph B.
History
Britt Johnson's Camp
(1823-1871) Cowboy, Indian scout, orderly at Fort Belknap in 1850s, who lost a son (Jim) as one of 12 persons killed in Elm Creek Indian raid, Oct. 12, 1864. His wife Mary and children, Jube and Cherry, were among 6 persons captured. Johnson traced his family and by stealth took them from Indian Territory. But the Indians took vengeance. On Jan.
History
Buried Here are the Remains of Seven Teamsters
Buried here are the remains of seven teamsters, Nathan S. Long, J.J. Baxter, Jesse Bowman, James S. and Samuel E. Elliott, James and Thomas Williams, employed by Henry Warren, government contractor, who were slain by Indians under Satana, Satank, and Big Tree, Kiowa and Comanche chiefs, on May 18, 1871 while hauling forage between Jacksboro and Fort Griffin. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Transport
Butterfield Overland Stages
The Butterfield Overland Stages connecting St. Louis and San Francisco with semi-weekly service, 1858-1861, traversed this county, with a station at Fort Belknap.
Military
Camp Belknap, C.S.A.
Confederate frontier post Camp Belknap located this vicinity. Local soldiers, determined to guard edge of settlement against Indian raids, Union invasion from Indian Territory, joined frontier regiment of Texas Cavalry and Rangers. Chain of posts from Red River to Rio Grande patrolled. Regiment concentrated vicinity this camp, spring 1863. Fought Comanche attack near Elm Creek 1864.
History
Cattle Raisers Association Oak
In commemoration of the organization under this oak by 40 men of the Cattle Raisers Association of Texas on February 15-16, 1877. Its first officers were: C. L. Carter, President; J. D. Smith, vice president; J. C. Loving, secretary: S. J. Connor, assistant secretary. Its membership in 1936 is 2,500.
Military
Colonel William C. Young
(1812-1862) Tennessee lawyer, U.S. Marshall, frontier Texas Ranger, Annexation Convention member 1845, colonel Mexican War. During Civil War, raised and commanded 11th Texas Cavalry. Secured safety of northern Texas through capture of Forts Cobb, Washita and Arbuckle and negotiations with Comanches, Kiowas and Chickasaws. Fought Battle Chustenalah.
Military
Common Grave
Three youths slain by Indians in an Elm Creek raid, July 17, 1867: Rice Carlton, Age 19; Reuben Johnson, born 1847, son of J. Allen Johnson; Patrick Euell Proffitt, born March 7, 1848, son of Robert S. Proffitt. John Proffitt, a brother, was donor of cemetery tract.
Architecture
Dr. & Mrs. J.W. Gallaher House
Dr. John William Gallaher and his family moved to Graham in 1884. Gallaher operated a successful surgery and medical practice and became a civic leader. In 1893, he served as one of Graham's first three Aldermen upon the town's incorporation. After retiring from his practice in 1906, Dr.
History
Farmer Cemetery
In 1877, Baptist preacher W.H. Farmer moved his family to land here. He established the Farmer store, post office, Baptist church and cemetery, where the first burials date to 1880. There were soon approximately 150 residents in Farmer, which was officially platted in 1894. The town grew to include several businesses, three churches, a Masonic lodge and a baseball team.
History
First National Bank in Graham
South Carolina native W. C. Beckham (1825-1895) came to Graham from Florida in the 1880s. He opened a mercantile store on the north side of the town square and soon began making short-term loans to his customers. That practice led to the creation of the Beckham National Bank in 1890. In 1921 it was renamed First National Bank in Graham.
History
Gooseneck Cemetery
Named for a bend in the Brazos River, this cemetery first served pioneers of the Gooseneck community. Land for the burial ground was donated by Kentucky native George Washington Fore (1823-1903) and his son, John Silas Fore (1851-1931), who became a cattleman and sheriff in Wichita County. The property was earlier part of the Brazos River Indian Preserve.
Architecture
Graham Post Office
Built in 1935-1936 at a cost of $60,000, this was the seventh and first long-term post office in Graham. It was one of a number of Depression-era federally funded projects built in the city. An excellent example of a Moderne style post office of the 1930s, the structure contains an intact mural by regional painter Alexandre Hogue. The edifice was designed by U.S. Treasury architect Louis A. Simon.
History
Harmonson Rancho
Kentucky native Peter Harmonson (1797-1865) came to Texas in 1845 as a settler in the Peters Colony. The following year he helped form Denton County, where he served as the first sheriff. In 1854 he brought his family here and established a ranch near this site known as Harmonson Rancho. An organizer of Young County, he served as its first chief justice.
History
Hawkins Chapel
S. J. Hawkins (1821-1908), whose parents came to Texas from Kentucky in 1846, brought his family to this frontier area in 1876. His brother, F. J. Hawkins, and others soon joined him. Their pioneer community was centered at this site, where a school was built in 1879. A nearby brush arbor sheltered the annual summer camp meeting beginning in 1882.
History
Home of Lewis Pinkney Brooks
Civil War veteran. He rode mule, Georgia to Texas, 1866. Stone for 1875 home quarried on place. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Military
Indian Raid on Elm Creek, CSA
Indian troubles continually plagued the Texas frontier in the Civil War, with great loss in lives and property. One of the most serious raids occurred near here on Oct. 13, 1864, at Fitzpatrick Ranch. Comanches killed seven ranch people and five Confederate soldiers. Six women and children were kidnapped. 10,000 cattle were stolen.
History
Little Salt Creek Indian Fight
Duel between a cattle roundup crew and Indians, on May 16, 1869. Cowboys attacked at their work were Shapley Carter, Bill Crow, and Henry Harrison, all of Palo Pinto County; crew captain Ira E. Graves, J. W. Gray, W. C. Kutch, and Jason McClain, of Jack County; George and John Lemley and Rube Seachrist, Young County; Dick, the cook from Tarrant County.
History
Major Robert S. Neighbors
As Indian agent, forceful peacemaker and humanist, Maj. Neighbors had more influence over Texas' Indians than any other man of his era; came to Texas in 1836. He served as quartermaster in Texas army, 1839-41. While on Texas Ranger duty in San Antonio, 1842, he was taken as a prisoner of war to Mexico by Gen. Adrian Woll and spent 18 months in Perote Prison.
History
Markley Cemetery Decoration Day
Cemetery was begun in 1881, with interment of M. C. Norfleet, adjacent to the old Plum Grove School. By 1890, the burial ground had fallen to neglect. A group of men from the surrounding rural community, including J. C. Calvin, J. W. Cox, R. E. Currie, S. G. Dean, Nelson Owen, M. A. Stewart, Andy and Ike Tinney, J. M. Wallace, and W. M.
Military
Military Road (Ft. Belknap-Ft Worth)
Past this point extended in 1851 a military road connecting Fort Belknap and Fort Worth. Over it passed troops, travelers, and supplies for the frontier posts.