History
Birthplace of Miss Ima Hogg
Born here on July 10, 1882, Ima Hogg was the only daughter of Sarah Stinson and Gov. James S. Hogg. Ima studied fine arts at the University of Texas in Austin, and in New York and Europe. In 1918 oil was discovered on the Varner-Hogg Plantation near West Columbia which enabled Miss Hogg to devote her life to the arts, historic preservation and philanthropy.
History
C. W. Raines
A native of Upson County, Georgia, Cadwell Walton Raines (1839-1906) contributed to Texas history as a Methodist preacher, schoolteacher, attorney, newspaper publisher, county official, historian and state librarian.
History
Caddo Indian Communities in Wood County
Early in the ninth century, the Caddo, several affiliated groups of people with distinct dialects and customs, moved into parts of present Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas. Complex societies based on successful trade, advanced agriculture and intricate rituals soon dispersed along the rivers and creeks of the region.
History
Captain Henry Stout
Henry Stout came to Texas in 1818 from Tennessee. Reported to have helped David Crockett plan his route to the Alamo, he served in the Republic of Texas Army in 1836, and from 1839 to 1845 was Captain of a Texas Ranger company. He moved here in 1847 and operated a grist mill and freight hauling business. He served on the commission to create Wood County in 1850, and was the first sheriff.
Architecture
Carlock Home
1903 - Colonial mansion built by Marcus DeWitt Carlock, Sr., prominent early-day attorney, Confederate courier, political leader, friend of Governor Jim Hogg, member Electoral College that named Woodrow Wilson president. Entertained many high officials in his home Stairway of rare, curly pine.
History
Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Winnsboro
The Rev. Kimberly served as the first pastor of the Central Christian Church of Winnsboro, organized in 1893 with twenty charter members. The following year the congregation had this sanctuary constructed. The original steeples were destroyed by a tornado in 1895 and not replaced. Remodeled in 1914, the building reflects influences of the prairie and classical revival styles.
History
Chalybeate Springs
Located on land owned by early settler L. M. Musgrove, the springs near this site first were known as Musgrove Springs. Later called Chalybeate Springs for the high iron content in the water, they gave rise to a thriving resort community. A school was built on land given by William and Susan Bolding in 1881, and the village included churches, stores, and a post office.
History
Clover Hill Cemetery
Families from Georgia and Alabama settled this land in 1856. The next year they chose this hill which was covered with yellow clover for construction of the Clover Hill Baptist Church. In 1868 "Little Buddy," son of G. H. and Sallie Pogue, was the first burial in this community cemetery. Soon a stranger died of smallpox and was interred here.
History
Col. James A. Stinson Home
Constructed in 1869 of virgin pine and oak by James A. Stinson, a widower who came to Texas in 1868 from Georgia after having served as a colonel in the Confederate Army. He brought with him his daughter Sallie. He bought extensive timber and farm lands in the eastern area of Wood County; operated a large sawmill which sent lumber throughout the state.
Architecture
Collins-Haines Home
1860 - First brick structure in Wood County. Erected by James A. and Harriet C. Collins, 1859 settlers from Mississippi. Bricks were molded and burned nearby; furniture crafted in plantation shop by Collins and slaves. They also planted fine gardens and landscapes. Past this home, 1861-1865, marched Confederate units, to Civil War. Since 1870 owned by family of George W. Haines.
History
Concord Cemetery
Settlers established the Concord Community in the 1870s. Early resident Hubbard Moseley donated land for a community burial ground, a school and Hubbard Chapel Baptist Church. The earliest marked grave in Concord Cemetery is for Velinda Wood, dated July 31, 1875. An unknown number of unmarked, earlier graves are also present.
History
Dr. Adolphus Leander Patten
(1823-1900) Adolphus Patten was born in North Carolina to Elijah and Nancy Watson Patten. He opened a medical practice in Rome, Georgia, where he married Emeline Eliza Trout in 1846. In 1854, they set out with family members to California via Texas but settled in Quitman instead. Patten worked as a physician, and he was active in civic affairs and as a Mason.
History
First Election in Wood County
Under a large post oak (300 ft. NW) on Gaines Greer's farm, Aug. 5, 1850, Wood County was organized. Commissioners Reuben Elledge, Joseph Fisher, George Greer, Henry Stout, and Gilbert Yarbrough met with 20 other men to choose site for county seat and elect first officials. Elected were the chief justice, D. O. Norton; county clerk, Ambrose Fitzgerald; treasurer, Henry W.
Architecture
First National Bank Building
First National Bank Building Chartered in 1898, the First National Bank of Mineola was housed in several downtown locations before this building was constructed in 1912. Built on the site of the former Mineola Mercantile, which burned in 1903, the bank building exhibits a blend of stylistic influences, including Italian Renaissance and Beaux Arts.
History
First National Bank of Mineola
Chartered on May 31, 1898, the First National Bank of Mineola incorporated for $50,000 at $500 per share. The majority shareholder, lawyer and former Wood County Judge H. M. Cates, became first president. Local photographer J. O. Teagarden served as first cashier.
History
Flora Lodge No. 119, A.F. & A.M.
Founded before the Civil War, as Quitman Masonic Lodge. Petition for charter was made on Jan. 5, 1852. First officers: James N. Brown, Worshipful Master; A. Gunter, Senior Warden; Francis C. McKnight, Junior Warden. Petitioners (other than the officers) included George Birdwell, W. L. Brown, S. M. Flournoy, I. D. Goes, E. H. McRee, I. H. McRee, M. W. Matthews, and Joshua Smith.
History
George C. Reeves
(Aug. 31, 1854 - Aug. 29, 1934) Georgia native George C. Reeves came to Mineola soon after its founding in 1873. He served as city marshal, and through his association with County Attorney (later Governor) Jim Hogg, he became a transfer agent for the state penitentiary system.
History
Gov. James Stephen Hogg and Wood County
James Stephen Hogg lived in Wood County from 1868 to 1882, formative years of his political career. When he became Governor, he appointed several Wood County friends to public offices. They included: Sarah Rosalie Patten Buchanan, who became a professor at Sam Houston State Normal College; William Jesse McDonald, a city deputy appointed Ranger captain; Cadwell Walton Raines, a newspaperman and…
History
Harry W. Meredith
Kentucky native Harry Meredith (1871-1962) attended business college in Illinois and was owner-operator of a brick plant in his hometown of Leitchfield before moving to Mineola, Texas, with his wife, Mary Henri Hunter, by 1907. Meredith entered the banking business in 1908, when he became associated with Mineola State Bank.
History
Hopewell Church and Cemetery
The Hopewell Primitive Baptist Church was established in 1855 and met in a brush arbor and log house. As membership increased, a larger church building was erected. In 1876 John R. Moore donated three acres of land for church and cemetery purposes. The first recorded burial was that of Henry Nixon in 1879.
History
Indian Cemetery and Villages
Found during road-building operations and reported Nov. 1966. In Jan. 1967, eight graves were studied, but the bone fragments unearthed were so old that they crumbled upon exposure to air. Pieces of pottery were also found in the cemetery and in six villages in the vicinity.
History
J. H. Jones and the Old Settlers Reunion Grounds
A native of Alabama, J. H. Jones (d. 1923) came to Texas in 1877. After teaching school for several years, he was elected clerk of Wood County in 1886. He later became a successful merchant in Quitman. In 1902 Jones donated property at this site to the Old Settlers of Wood County Association, organized three years earlier under the leadership of newspaper editor James L. Ray (d. 1929).
History
James Stephen Hogg
(March 24, 1851-March 3, 1906) Texas statesman whose nationally-acclaimed public career began at this site. The third son of Gen. Joseph L. and Lucanda (McMath) Hogg was born near Rusk. Orphaned during troubled Civil War era, he began at age 14 to earn his own way as a farmhand, clerk, printer's devil, typesetter, country editor.
History
James Stephen Hogg's Early Home
Built in 1860s; bought Jan. 8, 1873, by James Stephen Hogg (1851-1906), who in 1874 married Sarah Ann Stinson of Wood County. When the couple honeymooned in this cottage, young Hogg was editor-publisher of "Quitman News" and justice of the peace -- start of a brilliant career which led to governorship of Texas, 1891-1895. Local clubs bought the cottage and moved it here in 1946.
History
Jarvis Christian College
In 1904 the Texas Negro Disciples of Christ joined with the Christian Women's Board of Missions (CWBM) to establish a school for Black youth. A campus, consisting of a 456-acre tract donated by Ida and J. J. Jarvis of Fort Worth in 1910 and 182 adjoining acres purchased by the CWBM, was created here in 1912. Jarvis Christian Institute opened in 1913 with 12 elementary students.