History
A. H. Fortenberry
In the 1850s, A. H. ("Sevier") Fortenberry and his second wife Jane (Odell) moved from Arkansas to the wilderness then existing in this section of Texas. Living as a farmer and stock raiser, Fortenberry joined neighbors in warding off Indian raids which endangered the settlements.
History
Alvord Lodge No. 512, A. F. & A. M.
Prominent founding member R. W. Johnson led efforts to organize Audubon Masonic Lodge No. 512 in the village of Audubon (7 miles northeast) in 1879. The lodge moved to Alvord in 1886 where members built a second floor onto a schoolhouse to use as a lodge hall. The name was officially changed to Alvord Lodge in 1890, and in 1991 a new 2-story stone lodge hall was erected at this site.
History
Anneville School
Located on 3-acres donated in 1883 by E. M. Curtner, N. E. Young, P. H. and N. C. Neal for a cemetery, school, and church. First school (a 2-story building) was 30 yards west of cemetery. First church was about 300 yards south of the cemetery. About 1913 a new school was erected on original school site. In 1930 the school district consolidated with Boyd District.
History
Audubon (Ghost Town)
A vanished town which was important in this area in the 19th century. It was settled by southerners and named for naturalist John J. Audubon (1785-1851). Earliest settler, D. D. Shirey, platted town out of his farm land in 1865. He and his wife, "Aunt Polly", expanded their log house into a stagecoach inn that grew famous for a lavish table.
History
Aurora Cemetery
The oldest known graves here, dating from as early as the 1860's, are those of the Randall and Rowlett families. Finis Dudley Beauchamp (1825-1893), a Confederate veteran from Mississippi, donated the 3-acre site to the newly formed Aurora Lodge No. 479, A.F. & A.M., in 1877. For many years, this community burial ground was known as Masonic Cemetery.
Military
Battle of the Knobs
On November 10, 1837, a company of eighteen Republic of Texas soldiers led by Lt. A. B. Benthuysen engaged in a battle with approximately 150 Indians near this site. Ten Texas soldiers were killed in the battle, and the Indian casualties were estimated at fifty. The Texans killed were Alexander Bostwick, Jesse Blair, James Christian, Joseph Cooper, J. Josslin, A. H.
History
Bridgeport Coal Mines
Once a staple of Bridgeport's economy, coal was discovered here in later part of 19th century. Diggers hit vein 60 feet deep while seeking water. Mine No. 1 lies under northeast Bridgeport, and entire area is honeycombed with tunnels and shafts. Wise County Coal Company was chartered August 23, 1882, by C. D. Cates, J. C. Carpenter, J. G. Halsell, J. J. Lang, H. Greathouse, and D. Waggoner.
Civic & Local
Bridgeport Lodge No. 587, A.F. & A.M.
On December 12, 1884, the Bridgeport Masonic Lodge was granted a charter by the Grand Lodge of Texas. The twenty-seven charter members consisted primarily of local coal miners, ranchers, and businessmen. The group met in a tin building on the old town square until about 1900, when a second building was completed. A two-story brick building was purchased from Dr. K.L. Buckner in 1925.
History
Brown Hotel
Colonel J.T. Brown founded town of Chico in 1876; built this hotel 1888. In ceremony on hotel porch, Governor Charles A. Culberson pardoned Brown for his part in an 1895 fight fatality. Banker-tenant R. Lee Morris owned Brown Hotel from 1908 to 1965.
History
Butterfield Overland Stage Line
Through Decatur passed the Butterfield Overland mail line connecting St. Louis and San Francisco with semi-weekly stage and mail service, 1858-1861. The length of the route, 2,795 miles and the superior service maintained made this a pioneer enterprise of the first magnitude.
History
Captain George Stevens
Born in Alabama. Came to Wise County in 1855. Well known as champion of the defenseless. Active in resisting Indian attacks on pioneers. Member and guiding officer in numerous home guard units. Served as sheriff in 1860s, 1870s. (1968)
History
Cattle Trail Crossing
Near this site ran one of the many "feeder" branches of the famous Chisholm Trail, best-known of all the cattle trails that once linked the vast grasslands of Texas with the meat-hungry markets of the north. The original trail, which stretched from the North Canadian to the Arkansas River, was blazed in 1865 by Jesse Chisholm, a half-Scottish and half-Cherokee trader.
History
Charles Vernon Terrell
A leading public man in Texas, 1896-1939. Born in Wise County to early (1854) settlers. After two years at Texas A & M, read law and began practice in 1886. Served 1888-92 as Decatur City attorney; 1892-96 as county attorney; 1896-1901 and 1909-13 from Denton-Montague-Wise counties, in Texas Senate. There he sponsored act creating North Texas State University.
History
City of Alvord
By 1882, when the Fort Worth & Denver Railroad built a line to this area, a small agricultural community had developed here on an old Indian trail. First known as Nina, the town was renamed Alvord in 1883, probably in honor of J.B. Alvord, President of the railroad.
History
Cottondale
Area's oldest settlement. Platted by landowner B. F. Banks, who also gave lots for public use named, 1875, for lush growth of cotton planted by John Bridges, blacksmith, to finance a trip to Alabama to bring back his bride. Paradise took over town's post office, (1912); school (1933).
History
Dallas, Pacific & Southeastern Railway
As railroads expanded across Texas in the 1880s, the Dallas, Pacific & Southeastern Railway was planned to link Dallas and Albuquerque. The road, which was graded northwest from Dallas to near this site, traversed southern Wise County, including crossings near Draco and Boonsville. Former county sheriff W. J.
History
Deep Creek Community
Named for the natural landmark nearby. Settled about 1854 by pioneers Sam Woody and Tom McCarroll. Population grew as they were joined by several of Woody's former neighbors from East Texas. Along the creek, farmers raised cotton, corn, and cattle. In 1860 Tom McCright and Andrew Mann gave land for a cemetery, and local Baptists constructed a church, which doubled as a schoolhouse.
History
Dr. M. W. Matthews
Dr. M. W. Matthews (December 29, 1806 - April 13, 1891) Pioneer physician and preacher. Born in Kentucky. As army surgeon in Texas Revolution (1836), treated Gen. Sam Houston at Battle of San Jacinto. Served in the 1st and 7th Congresses of the Republic. Took part in Mexican War (1846). A firm Unionist during Civil War (1861-65), he once barely escaped hanging at hands of Southern vigilantes.
History
Dr. William Renshaw
Born in Illinois, William Renshaw studied medicine and set up practice in Sparta, Tennessee. His wife Sarah received from the Mexican government a grant of land in Texas, where her father Samuel Worthington lost his life in a colonization attempt in 1828. Dr. Renshaw traveled to Texas in 1853 to locate this headright, which encompassed many acres of Wise County north of this marker site. Dr.
History
East Mound Cemetery and School
This community was named for the lookout point used by Indians and settlers in the 19th century. From his land near the landmark mound, W. C. Ellis designated (1876) acreage for public use, and the cemetery had been opened by 1880. Van Dearing Perrine (1869-1955), later a noted artist, lived here about 1880. His mother's unmarked grave is in this cemetery. On March 15, 1887, W. C. Ellis and T. J.
History
East Side Elementary School
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Wise and several surrounding counties had few African American citizens. Yet regulations at the time required separate facilities for African Americans. Most African American families in Decatur lived in a neighborhood east of the Fort Worth and Denver Railway tracks.
Architecture
Episcopal Mission of the Ascension
Oldest original church building in Decatur. Consecrated by great missionary bishop, the Rt. Rev. A. C. Garrett. Erected facing Main Street (2 blks. W. of square) in 1889. Known as "The Little Church with the Crosses", by 1912 it had deteriorated, but was restored and moved, facing Walnut Street.
History
First Christian Church of Paradise
During the late 1880s, members of this church held home worship services in Old Town, the original Paradise townsite (1.5 miles southwest). The arrival of the Rock Island Railroad sent residents to this location, which was nearer to the rail line. Sometime after the move, the First Christian Church of Paradise was chartered.
History
First National Bank of Decatur
This financial institution was organized in 1883 by Decatur bankers Dan Waggoner, Henry Greathouse, and other pioneer businessmen. Waggoner's son, W. T. Waggoner (b. 1854), a prominent Texas cattleman and oilman, served as bank president from 1904 until his death in 1934. His sound leadership enabled the bank to survive the Depression and become a leader in developing the Wise County area.
History
Flat Rock Cemetery
Settled in 1850s by Moses Ball and other pioneers. Tradition says first burial here was an Indian; the second, a small girl who died while her family was migrating through the area. Oldest tombstones are dated 1878. There are many unmarked graves. Community, named for some flat stones that formed a landmark, had a Cumberland Presbyterian Church as early as 1883.