History
Albuquerque
Near 1857 Ranch of Samuel and Martha (Hastings) McCracken. Post office, opened 1869, was named by veterans of Sibley's Civil War campaign in New Mexico. Town had businesses, school, blacksmith shop where DeWitt County Sheriff Jack Helm died (1873) of blast from gun of John Wesley Hardin. Post office closed 1883. (1972)
History
Applewhite Homestead
The family of Henry Applewhite (1630-1704), who sailed from England to Jamestown, Virginia, in 1656, remained in Virginia for several generations. Applewhite's descendant, Thomas Applewhite, was born in North Carolina in 1791 and served as a sergeant in the War of 1812. In 1842 Thomas married his second wife, Elizabeth Oglesby (1820-1898).
History
Barker-Huebinger Homestead
Alabama natives Emory Crawford Barker (1839-1914) and Leah Humphreys (1842-1931) both came to the area with their families in the early 1850s. Emory served in Co. G of Terry's Texas Rangers during the Civil War. He and Leah married in 1866 and had seven children. The Barkers bought 260 acres along the Old Sutherland Springs - Seguin Road.
History
Beall Cemetery
Beall Cemetery, located in the Young Perry Alsbury Survey, began as a family burial ground on the farm of early settlers Erasmus (Erastus) and Elizabeth Brinkley Beall, parents of six sons and four daughters. The Beall family migrated to Texas from Warren County, Georgia by 1853 and purchased land from San Antonio realtor John James and additional acreage from San Antonio banker John Twohig.
History
Beauregard Ranch
Founded 1852, by Augustin Toutant-Beauregard, of landed Creole gentry who traced lineage to 16th century Spanish nobility. Brother was Confederate General Pierre Gustave Toutant-Beauregard. Stone-mounted iron rings were part of scaffolding used to butcher hogs. (1967)
History
Brahan Lodge #226, A.F. & A.M.
Set to work U.D. June 23, 1858. Chartered June 16, 1859. Named for Dr. Robt. W. Brahan. John Rhodes King, first worshipful master. Members included veterans of Texas War for Independence, Mier Expedition, Mexican War, Indian campaigns. They quarried stone, hauled it to site by ox-cart, completed hall 1871. In it churches met; children were educated.
History
Bridge at McAlister Crossing (Mueller Bridge) (2/10 mi. SW)
John Murphy McAlister (1807-1885) and his wife, Isabella (McClain) (1817-1872), settled in La Vernia with their family in the early 1850s. In 1857, they purchased several hundred acres of land on the southwest bank of Cibolo Creek. The natural stream crossing adjacent to their property became known as McAlister Crossing and for years served residents on both sides.
History
Camp Ranch Community
This area located west of Floresville was one of the largest ranches in the cattle-driving era. During the 1700s and 1800s, the area, being prime cattle ranch land, dominated the pre-Wilson County economy and served as a gathering point of small herds creating larger herds to trail up north.
History
Captain Will Wright
(1868-1942) Founding officer, Co. D, Texas Rangers. Had uncles, brother, sons in Rangers and Border Patrol. Wilson County deputy sheriff, 1896-1900; sheriff, 1902-1917. While in office reared his family in the jailer's quarters. Always was armed. A stern leader, but gentlemanly and kind. (1967)
History
Casa Blanca
Home of Don Erasmo Seguin who died here; in 1856 by appointment of the Spanish governor he inducted Stephen F. Austin into Texas, 1821; Texas Deputy to the Mexican Congress, 1824; on October 13, 1834 in a convention in Bexar he made the first effort to organize a provisional government in Texas.
History
Cemetery of Canary Islanders
Predates church built 1732 by colonists who arrived 1731, led by Juan Leal Goras. They farmed and raised stock. Their villa, San Fernando, was first municipality in Texas. Among unmarked graves is that of flamboyant Dona Maria Cavillo. Site now county-owned. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
History
de la Zerda Cemetery
This cemetery, located on the high east bank of the San Antonio River, served residents of the trading community of Lodi, which declined in the 20th century. Nemencio de la Zerda, Sr., born in San Antonio in 1808, was a rancher, businessman and former soldier under Juan Seguin. He purchased this land in 1839.
History
Fairview
Near this crossroads was once the flourishing community of Fairview. The village began shortly after the Civil War, when Henry Hudson opened a store on the Old Oakville Road. A post office was established in the store in 1868. Fairview grew to include homes, churches, doctors' offices, a blacksmith shop, cotton gin, public school, Masonic Lodge, and telephone exchange.
History
Flores Rancho
Flores Rancho emerged out of lands assigned to Mission Espada and Rancho de las Cabras in the early 1700s. Prior to its current name, the land owned by the mission was called Chayopines, named for the Native Americans who once occupied the area.
History
Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery
This cemetery traces its beginnings to the formation of Immanuel Lutheran Church of La Vernia, which began in 1901. The congregation, mostly of German descent, soon found itself in need of a cemetery. In 1902, Gustav and Bertha Schroeder donated two acres of land to the church for that purpose. Members built a fence and held a formal dedication.
History
James Charles Wilson
When this county was created in 1860 by the Eighth Texas Legislature, it was named for Texas patriot James Charles Wilson. A native of England, Wilson (1818-1861) left his homeland in 1836 and by 1839 had settled in Brazoria County, Texas. He studied law there under Judge John W. Harris and future Governor Elisha M. Pease, and boarded with former Provisional Governor Henry Smith.
History
John Reagen Baker
Adventurer-soldier of early Texas. Fought in Mexico to win freedom for the unsuccessful "Republic of Rio Grande" in 1840. Was elected sheriff of Refugio County and organized a company of minutemen. In 1842 he fought against three Mexican raids into Texas. Then participated in the disastrous Somervell and Mier expeditions into Mexico, during which he was wounded.
History
Kicaster Community
The families of Isaac Crow, R. T. Spivey, Dr. W. R. Callaway, T. P. Camp, J. E. Watkins, Isom Ferguson, L. B. Pittman, and others began a farming settlement here in the 1860s. John James donated land for a schoolhouse (1872), where church services were also held. A. C. and Mary Anderson in 1887 gave more land for public use.
Architecture
King-Lorenz House
This home was constructed in 1898 for Robert and Rachel Emma (King) Smith. Rachel was the daughter of John R. King, an early Texas military and political leader. His descendants have owned the home since its construction, except for the years 1911-14. Wade Lorenz (1896-1930), a former Texas Ranger who later lived here, was a Stockdale businessman and rancher.
History
La Vernia
Established about 1846 or 1847 by Claiborne Rector, who built a stage stop and blacksmith shop here to serve travelers on the Chihuahua Road, a major trail in early Texas. Main Street today follows route of the old road. Settlement was called "Post Oak" until mail service started, 1856. Name was then changed to Spanish "La Verdear" because of many green oaks in area.
History
La Vernia United Methodist Church
Earliest services of this church were held near here, at Bethesda, in 1853 by The Rev. J. S. McGee, a circuit rider. In 1876, La Vernia Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized with The Rev. John E. Vernor as pastor. By tradition the Masonic Hall housed services until 1881. Then trustees bought this site and erected a church building, which was destroyed by a storm five years later.
Industry & Science
Linne Oil Field
The oil discovery in this field in 1955 was the most extensive and significant in the area. It was preceded, however, by several earlier strikes. Maple C. Hughes, a wealthy rice farmer from Louisiana, drilled the Austin Chalk formation on property owned by Fritz Mueller, striking oil in 1953.
History
Marcelina Cemetery
In 1876, Isaac and Malinda Sims moved from Mississippi to Wilson County's Marcelina community. Seven years later, they deeded part of their land for a burial gound and the Marcelina Baptist Church. Samuel Foster, Isaac's stepbrother, also deeded land, including the site of his mother's grave, for burial purposes. Over time the two cemeteries merged into one.
History
Marcelina Community
Located on the Old San Antonio-Indianola Road, this rural settlement, named for nearby Marcelinas Creek, began in late 1873, when Wiley R. Franklin (1837-93) bought land in the area (1.5 miles S) and built a small horse-powered cotton gin.
History
Minnie (Washington) Yates
(October 25, 1878 - November 17, 1970) Following the Civil War and despite the turbulent times that continued for African Americans, many overcame obstacles to create better opportunities for themselves and their families. The ownership of land, a goal that symbolized freedom, was a sought-after dream for many, including Minnie (Washington) Yates (1878-1970) and her husband, R.C.