History
The Round Rock
A guide for Indians and early settlers, this table-shaped stone in the middle of Brushy Creek once marked an important low-water wagon crossing. Hundred-year-old wheel ruts are still visible in the creek bottom. The rocky stream bed also provided building stone for pioneer homes. "Brushy Creek" post office was established in 1851 to serve the settlement that grew up near this natural ford.
History
The Taylor Public Schools
From 1877 until 1880, several private schools served residents of the Taylor area. In 1880 a public institution, the Stock Company School, was built and maintained by a group of private citizens. A school for black children of the community opened the following year. In 1883 a bond election passed which provided revenue for maintaining public schools in Taylor.
Civic & Local
The Woman's Club of Georgetown
In 1893 Lula Holland Leavell (1854-1895) and her daughters, Blanche and Kate, hosted a literary reading for a group of Georgetown women. That year the group formed a women's literary club. In 1897 the club was named the "Initial History Club" and its scope was expanded to include literature, history, music, and participation in Georgetown's cultural affairs.
History
Town of Thrall
An 1876 International & Great Northern Railroad siding called "Stiles Switch" for landowners J.E. and F.N. Stiles, grew into a shipping point for the Swiss and Germans who settled in this area. The post office that opened in 1901 was named for Methodist minister and historian Homer S. Thrall. Nearby oil discoveries and sudden growth caused the town to be incorporated in 1915. The 38.
History
Trinity Lutheran College
Founded by the Augustana Lutheran Synod, in 1904 synod representatives, seeking a location, selected Round Rock because of an offer of a well, 14 city lots, and freight concessions on building materials hauled by International & Great Northern Railroad. Cornerstone was laid on July 13, 1905, for a three-story native stone school building. With Dr. J. A.
Architecture
Tucker-Smith House
Built in 1892 by prominent local lumber man J. E. Tucker, this residence originally reflected the Queen Anne style. Decker Franklin Smith purchased the house in 1905. In 1916 Smith extensively remodeled the house in the Mission style, which was then gaining popularity in Texas. Its prominent features include a wraparound porch, paired Doric columns, and quatrefoil windows.
History
Turkey Creek School
Site of Turkey Creek School (1893-1949) An 8-grade school held in frame building on site given 1898 by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Henkes; had 3 or 4 months' terms until 1910; only one teacher for all grades until 1919. After finishing here, and after this school closed, students went to Taylor or Thrall schools. (1972)
History
United States Senator Morgan C. Hamilton
(1809-93) An outstanding patriot who acted as Secretary of War and Marine in Republic of Texas and later served the state in many roles, Morgan Hamilton in 1837 obtained a 1009-acre land grant in this area. While his brother A.J. Hamilton was governor (1865-66), he retrieved for Texas some bonds sent to Europe during the Civil War. In 1870-77 he served as a United States Senator from Texas.
Architecture
W. C. Vaden House
Prominent local builder Charles S. Belford completed this home for Wesley Carrol Vaden and his wife Kate (Lockett) in 1908. Eclectic in design, the residence features Queen Anne styling with classical influences favored by Vaden, a Virginia native and a professor of Latin and Greek at Southwestern University for over 40 years.
History
W. Y. Penn Home
This house was erected in 1895 for William Y. Penn (1860-1951), a local merchant who also served as city alderman and mayor. Like several other Victorian homes here, it was built by C. S. Belford Lumber Co. In 1907 the structure became the residence of the presiding elder of the Georgetown District of the Methodist Church. It was sold in 1945 to druggist M. C. Hodges (1889-1965) and in 1966 to Dr.
History
Washington Bower
"Washington Bower" - built 1853, first frame house in this area. Site, an 1838 Republic of Texas land grant to Simon Miller, was inherited by Lucinda Lawrence, wife of Henry Inlo Layne -- farmer, rancher, mason, builder of this house. Layne was host here (1857) to military hero Robert E. Lee; in 1868, was a victor in Civil War Battle of Galveston.
History
Webster Massacre
1 3/4 miles east to the graves of the victims of the Webster Massacre, which occurred August 27, 1839 when John Webster and a party of about thirty, en route to a land grant in Burnet County, were attacked by a band of Comanche Indians. After attempting to flee under cover of darkness, they were trapped on an open prairie. Mrs.
History
Wedemeyer Hospital Site
Occupied 1915 by early prominent physician, Dr. G. A. Wedemeyer (Aug. 26, 1875 - Jan. 24, 1936), a native of Burton, Washington County, who came to Taylor 1905. Hospital was continuously operated until 1957; then became retirement home. Exterior is in original style; interior modernized. (1969)
History
Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church
This congregation was organized in 1869 by the Rev. Richard Robert Haywood, an early Texas missionary in the African Methodist Episcopal church. Trustees of the church bought land at this site in 1881, and worship services were held in a small wooden building until this sanctuary was constructed in 1904. Erected during the Rev. J.A.
History
William M. Owen House Complex
The earliest structure in this complex is the one-story stone building, constructed about 1853. It originally housed a mercantile store and the first permanent post office for Round Rock, both operated by Thomas C. Oatts, the town's first postmaster. Built on the pioneer road from Austin to Georgetown, it was part of Round Rock's early development.
History
William O. Spencer
(September 2, 1810 - September 20, 1896) Illinois native William O. Spencer moved to Bastrop County, Texas, with his wife, Amy Wilcoxen, in 1847. In 1853, Amy died and Spencer settled on the frontier in Williamson County. He named the Liberty Hill post office he had persuaded U. S. Senator Thomas J. Rusk to establish and served as its first postmaster.
History
Williamson County
Formed from Milam County. Created March 12, 1848; organized August 7, 1848. Named in honor of Robert McAlpin Williamson, 1806-1859, pioneer editor, lawyer, patriot and statesman, veteran of San Jacinto. Georgetown, the county seat.
History
Williamson County
Created March 13, 1848, and organized by a special committee approved by Gov. George T. Wood and the 2nd Legislature of the State of Texas, with Georgetown designated as county seat. The county was named for Robert McAlpin Williamson (nicknamed "Three-Legged Willie", because of his pegleg), a veteran of Battle of San Jacinto, and one of the original members of the Supreme Court of the Republic of…
Architecture
Williamson County Courthouse
Completed in 1911, this is the fifth courthouse to serve the citizens of Williamson County. It was designed by the Austin architectural firm of Charles H. Page & Bro. Although some of the building's detailing was removed in the 1960s, it remains a fine Classical Revival structure featuring giant order Ionic columns and a copper dome with four-faced clock and a Justice statue.
History
Williamson County Jail
In continuous use since 1888. Native limestone. Cost $22,000. Replaced 1848 frame jail at grand jury request. Financed without a bond issue. French Bastille styling, unchanged at remodeling, at cost of $40,000, in 1934. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965.
History
Williamson County Sun
First published on May 19, 1877, the "Williamson County Sun" was founded by Jessie E. Cooper (1855-1944). In its first century of operation, the "Sun" initiated numerous civic projects, such as the building of the first railroad in Georgetown, Wesleyan Retirement Home, and low cost housing. Editors of the paper included Frank T. Roche, John R. Allen, John M. Sharpe, and Robert W.
History
Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Burial Site
In this vicinity is a prehistoric archeological site discovered in 1973 by a team of Texas Highway Department archeologists. Scientific excavations have produced evidence that the site was a major camping ground for prehistoric peoples, particularly during the Archaic Period (2,000-8,000 years ago).
Architecture
Young House
Constructed in 1901 for the A. A. Young family, this residence exhibits elements of the Classical Revival and Beaux Arts styles of architecture. Its eclectic details and architectural features include large dormers, decorative balustrades and two-story columns with Corinthian capitals. The house served as a center for civic and social activity and remained in the Young family until 1951.
History
Zion Lutheran Church
Zion Lutheran Church of Concordia was established in 1882 as a place of worship for immigrants of German-Wendish descent. The Wends are a Slavic people from the German area of Lusatia, near the border with the Czech Republic and Poland. Settlers immigrated to Texas in the 1850s with the Reverend John Kilian.
History
Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery
Established in 1882 by German, Austrian, Swiss and French settlers, the community of Sandoval developed near Turkey Creek. In March 1893, residents founded Zion Lutheran Church, with the Rev. J. Rode as the first pastor. Church members established this cemetery across the road from their first church building. The earliest documented burial took place in 1897.