Architecture
Olson House
Swedish immigrant Johanna Olson (1835-1914) purchased this property in 1907 after she returned to the Round Rock area upon the death of her husband, Johannes, in 1894. Local contractor A.S. Robertson built this house for her in 1908, and it remained in the Olson family until 1944. Johanna and her daughters took in boarders from nearby Trinity College during its existence from 1906 until 1929.
Architecture
Otto Reinke Building
Erected 1879, three years after Round Rock expansion began at railroad's arrival. Some successive tenants included stores, physician, restaurants. After it was gutted by fire in 1963, architect Martin S. Kermacy and wife, Evelyn, built a modern interior within the Victorian Italianate walls.
History
Page-Decrow-Weir House
Built in 1903, this house was owned by a succession of area ranchers. J. M. Page had the home built for his family, but sold it to his brother-in-law Thomas Decrow in 1903. The home was purchased in 1920 by Horace M. Weir, and in the 1930s a polo training center was operated on the property.
History
Palm Valley Lutheran Church
In area first claimed in 1838 by white men. Valley bears name of the Anna Palm family, 1853 Swedish settlers. "Brushy", the first Lutheran church (of logs), was built here by Andrew John Nelson and 3 hired men in 1861. This also housed early school. Congregation was formally organized Nov. 27, 1870. Second church, built 1872, was used for sessions of Palm Valley School.
History
Pennington Family Cemetery
Born in Fannin County, Texas, during the Republic of Texas period, John Parker Pennington (1840-1904), lived as a young man in Arizona Territory. As a member of one of the first families to settle in the territory he survived several deadly encounters with the region's Native Americans. He participated in the Civil War then moved his family to Texas in 1867.
History
Pickle-Mason House
Master carpenter Andrew Porter Pickle (1833-1908) built this house for his family in 1871. It remained in the Pickle family until 1913, when it was sold to Augusta K. and Sarah Zora Mason Davis. Following their deaths, it remained in the family. The home consists of two structures under one roof. The rear part features shiplap siding and the front exhibits milled siding and a five-bay facade.
History
Pioneers' House
Antedating town of Leander, this place was a 3-day wagon distance from Austin. First two rooms were built (1872) by J. C. and Nancy Bryson, of rock from San Gabriel River and Jenks Branch; hewn cedar logs and shingles from Bastrop area. Had several additions, for family of eight children. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
History
Pond Springs Cemetery
This graveyard was begun for members of the Pond Springs Community in the 1860s. The oldest grave is believed to be that of Mrs. Asenath M. Stewart (d. 1862). Also interred here is Mexican War veteran William P. Rutledge, Sr. (1815-1890), and Lavinia Hyland Chapman (1844-1929), a citizen of the Republic of Texas.
History
Pond Springs Community and School
After James O. Rice settled in the 1850s near a spring-fed pond, the area was called "Pond Spring." By 1854 a log school building was erected near the pond (1 mi.N) and also served for worship and a social center. Thomas S. Rutledge ran a nearby store, post office and blacksmith shop.
History
Post Oak Island Lodge #181, A.F. & A.M.
Settled as early as the 1840s, Post Oak Island was one of this area's earliest communities. There, on September 15, 1855, I.J. Kidd, T. Gatlin, P.A. Middleton, M. Gardner and A.S. Harper established a Masonic lodge. On February 2, 1856, the lodge was officially constituted as Post Oak Island Lodge #181, and by October 1860, lodge members had paid the mortgage on their lodge hall.
Architecture
Preslar-Hewitt Building
The early growth of Taylor as a vital cotton and railroad center is reflected in its historic business district. Hugo Hunke built this two-story commercial structure in 1914 to anchor an important block. It provided first floor space for two businesses and up to seven offices on the second floor. Early occupants included Strand Tailors and Menefee Grocery.
Industry & Science
Railroad Produce Warehouse
Built in 1904 by William Pearce to provide storage space for a wholesale grocery company, this building was part of a larger industrial complex. A number of buildings were constructed along nearby railroad lines, including an ice plant and bottling works, grist and planing mills, and a passenger and freight depot.
History
Rock House Community
(0.8 mi.S) A pioneer agricultural community of Williamson County, this site was first settled in the late 1840s by Uriah H. Anderson, a native of Tennessee who received a land grant here from the state of Texas. By 1875 a rural school was in operation and classes were held in the Bethel Church sanctuary. The settlement was named for the stone structure, which was known as the Rock House.
History
Rocky Hollow Cemetery
In the 1850s, a group of pioneer Black slaves came to this area from Union County, Arkansas, and founded what is now known as the Rocky Hollow Community. This cemetery soon was established on land given by Thomas P. Chapman. Although it was used before the Civil War began, the first marked grave, that of Confederate veteran William Bacon Tucker, is dated 1865.
History
Round Rock
Permanent settlement began in this area in the late 1830s. By 1848, former Austin Mayor Jacob Harrell moved here, selling town lots near the Stagecoach Road crossing at Brushy Creek. A post office named 'Brushy Creek' opened in 1851 in Thomas Oatts' store. Three years later, the name changed to 'Round Rock' for a distinctive limestone formation marking a natural ford for wagons.
History
Round Rock Cemetery
Established in the early 1850s in what is now known as Old Round Rock, this cemetery is the burial ground of many area pioneers and outstanding Round Rock citizens. The oldest legible tombstone, which marks the burial site of 11-year-old Angeline Scott, bears the year 1851, although there are many unmarked graves that could date from before that time. One-half acre in the northwest part of the 4.
History
Round Rock Volunteer Fire Department
The Hose and Hand Pump Company was formed in 1884 as Round Rock's first organized fire department. Money for equipment was raised through donations, picnics, dances, box suppers, and other fund drives. The first building constructed for Round Rock's fire department was completed in 1892. About 1934, the department purchased its first piece of motor-driven equipment--a Model T Ford chassis.
History
Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School
In 1899, eight years after the founding of Saints Cyril and Methodius Church, its Czech/Moravian parishioners established a school for their children. In 1901 the Sisters of Divine Providence began their long affiliation of providing teachers for the school. Educational facilities grew from a small frame schoolhouse to larger brick buildings as student enrollment increased over time.
History
Sam Bass' Death Site
An uneducated Indiana orphan who drifted to Texas as a youth, Sam Bass won fame racing his swift "Denton Mare," gambling, and robbing trains. A rich haul in Nebraska was followed by months of reckless spending. Bass liked to shower gold on people who fed or harbored him while he eluded law officers. In July 1878 he came to Round Rock to rob a bank, and was shot by Texas Rangers.
History
San Gabriel Lodge No. 89, A. F. & A. M.
Organized in 1851, three years after the creation of Williamson County, San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 was chartered in January 1852 with John T. Cox, a Methodist minister from South Carolina, as worshipful master. The lodge grew rapidly with the new county seat. An Eastern Star chapter was formed and met in the Masonic Lodge. San Gabriel Lodge No.
Nature
San Gabriel Park
The land and springs around this site made it a favored camping site for local Indian tribes for centuries before the Spanish discovered it. Raids, drought and conflict led the Spanish to abandon the area in 1756. The Mexican State of Coahuila and Texas granted a colonization contract to Robert Leftwich in 1825. Conflicting contracts were granted to Stephen F. Austin and Sterling C. Robertson.
History
Saul Cemetery
The Saul family settled along Brushy Creek in Williamson County about 1850. One brother, Charles Saul (b. 1818) bought this 640-acre tract in 1862. This part of the ranch was first used as a family burial ground upon Charles' death on June 22, 1870. The cemetery has twenty-three marked graves dated from 1870 to 1918, including that of Charles' wife Louisa (Dawson) Saul (1814-1887).
History
Shafer Saddlery
On site of cabin used (1848) as first county courthouse. This frontier saddlery, erected 1870 of hand-cut limestone by John H. Shafer, had living quarters upstairs. Since 1872 occupants have been attorneys, a newspaper, and many other tenants. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971
History
Shiloh-McCutcheon Cemetery
The community of Shiloh dates from 1848, when both Nelson Morey and Josiah Talor established stores in this area. Shiloh spread along the banks of Brushy Creek near Wilbarger Crossing, which was later called Shiloh Crossing and Rogan Crossing. The community consisted of a school, a church, two stores and a few residents who lived along Brushy Creek.
History
Site of a Block House
Built by Texas Rangers under Captain John J. Tumlinson in 1836. Destroyed by Indians in 1837. This was the first white man's post in Williamson County.