History
Doan's Crossing
A major route for cattle drives known primarily as the Western Trail developed from far South Texas to Dodge City, Kansas, in the 1870s. About 1876, trail drivers along the route began crossing the Red River near this site. In 1878, Ohio native Jonathan Doan established a trading post near the crossing and became the first person to permanently settle in Wilbarger County (organized in 1881).
History
Doan's Crossing on Red River
By herds on the Western Texas-Kansas Trail, 1876-1895, six million cattle and horses crossed here. "You don't need much monument if the cause is good. It's only these monuments that are for no reason at all that has to be big. Good luck to you all anyhow. Yours, Will Rogers." Dedicated to George W. Saunders, President of the Old Trail Driver's Association, "Who kept the trail records straight."
History
Doans' Adobe Building
Corwin F. Doan (1848-1929) settled here on Red River in 1878; erected this house in 1881. In his early picket store and later, permanent building, he had large stocks of goods to supply the cowboys who annually drove cattle in herds of thousands along the Western Trail. The village of "Doan's Crossing" had 14 or more buildings.
History
Early Wilbarger County
Organized 1858 and named in honor of Matthias and Josiah P. Wilbarger, early Texas settlers. Josiah, a surveyor, had become famous as the man who lived 12 years after being scalped by Comanches, 1833, near Austin. He had saved his life by putting a wool sock on his head; he was rescued next day by neighbors. An adobe house built 1878 by Jonathan and C. F.
History
Jonathan Doan
(May 20, 1837- November 6, 1902) Frontier trader and merchant; a Quaker, peaceable on troubled frontiers. With nephew C. F. Doan, came from Ohio and entered hides trade in Indian Territory, 1874-75. In April 1878 opened trading post at Western Cattle Trail crossing on Red River (12 mi. NE). C. F. Doan moved down that fall to run post. Jonathan Doan continued to trade on frontier.
History
Lockett Community
Derived its name from the T. J. and J. B. Lockett families who settled here in 1888. On Dec. 24, 1888, Wm. Lockett, their father, died while visiting here and was among the first to be buried in the East View Cemetery. The J. B. Lockett family moved to California in 1904. The T. J.
Museums & Art
Red River Valley Museum
Features one of Texas' famed regional collections of Indian artifacts, tracing history of early man along the Red River. Before Chisholm Trail days, when thousands of cattle crossed Red River at nearby Doan's Crossing, Vernon area was home to tribes of Comanche, Kiowa, and Wichita. Mr. and Mrs. J. Henry Ray of Vernon spent 30 years gathering artifacts, which they donated to Wilbarger County, Oct.
History
Thaddeus Edgar Johnson
Lawyer and World War I veteran, T. Edgar Johnson (1889-1972), gathered resources from family and friends to open Johnson-Davis Ford Company in Vernon in 1930 at this location. The business thrived during the Great Depression, becoming a leading transportation business in the region for thirty years. T.
History
Vernon Drugstore
Oldest drugstore in county. Founded 1882 in a dugout. First building (1884) housed office of Dr. H. H. Rhoads, co-owner and 40 years county health officer. First newspaper in county, the "Vernon Hornet", had its shop in the store building. Passing by were horse-drawn streetcars. Present building erected 1901. Store filled its 1,000,000th prescription in 1958.
Architecture
W. D. Berry Home
Completed in 1906, this Colonial Revival residence was constructed for Sterling P. Huff. An attorney, Huff became Justice of the 46th District Court and was later elected to the 7th Court of Civil Appeals. In 1914 local attorney William David Berry purchased the home. A former educator and a prominent civic leader, Berry served as city attorney of Vernon and as Wilbarger County Attorney.
Architecture
Waggoner-Hicks House
Spottswood Lomax, a founder of the noted Matador and Espuela (Spur) ranches of Texas, built a Queen Anne house here in 1890. It was remodeled in the Colonial Revival style around the turn of the century by the prominent cattleman W. T. "Tom" Waggoner, who deeded it to his son, local banker Guy Leslie Waggoner, in 1904. Three years later, Vernon farmer and oil investor E. P.
History
Wilbarger County
Formed from Bexar County. Created February 1, 1858. Organized October 10, 1881. Named for Josiah and Mathias Wilbarger, brothers who came to Texas in 1829. Josiah, scalped by Indians August, 1833, survived 11 years. Vernon, the county seat. Millions of cattle and horses were driven north through this county.