History
"Rock School"
Built 1886, when Indians still raided nearby apple trees. Wheeler County's second school. Of native stone. Site gift of Tom Baley. Other donors: John Brown, Frank Chilton, Mr. Clark, Henry Frye, Bill Miller, J. E. Pior, Fred H. Rathjen, Jenkins Willliams. Teacher was Mrs. Gil Hodges. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Bowers Cemetery
Beginning in the 1920s, this cemetery has been a burial ground for the African American community of Shamrock. The oldest marked grave, for William Frank Holmon, dates from 1926. Also known as West Shamrock Cemetery, the site takes its name from the Bowers Addition to the city, owned and developed by David Laughlin Bowers.
Military
Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Elliott
Fort Elliott, established June 5, 1875 to help keep Native Americans on their Indian Territory Reservations, was partially garrisoned by African American soldiers called 'buffalo soldiers' by Native Americans. Various companies of the 9th and 10th Cavalry and the 24th and 25th Infantry were stationed at Fort Elliott in its 15-year existence.
History
Captain G. W. Arrington
(1844-1923) Great peace officer of era of early settlement in Texas Panhandle. (During his term in office, lived near this site.) Born in Greensboro, Alabama. During the Civil War, 1861-1865, was one of most daring scouts in famous guerrilla command of Col. John S. Mosby, in Virginia. After war, ventured to Mexico and Central America. Settled in Texas in 1867.
History
Center Cemetery
In 1906, D. M. Pollard bought the south half of section 30, block A-7 of the H&GN survey and lived in a dugout. Near his homesite, the center school opened in 1909. The school also hosted church services, and the Center Cemetery was dedicated on the adjoining property to the west. The oldest marked grave, for B. F. Matthews, dates from March 1909.
History
Custer on the Sweetwater
Sweetwater Creek was essential to millions of southern buffalo In a region known as the Comancheria. Plains Indians camped along this freshwater stream to seek shelter from harsh winters. As Anglos continued to settle the southern plains, the incompatible cultures fought for survival.
History
Emanuel Dubbs
(1843 - 1929) First county judge in Texas Panhandle and in Wheeler County, Dubbs was born in Ohio. Came to know Texas as a buffalo hunter, and was in famous Indian Battle of Adobe Walls, 1874. Gained wide respect when, as judge, he had a lawless U.S. marshal arrested. He served 1879-1880; 1885-1890. (1968)
History
Fort Elliott Flagpole
First stood about a mile to the northwest, at Fort Elliott, established 1875 to protect the Texas Panhandle from Indians. J. J. Long, teamster-merchant, who arrived with the soldiers, was hired to provide a flagpole for the fort. In cedar breaks near Antelope Hills, 30 miles away, he cut two huge trees and hauled them here by wagon to build this 50-foot pole.
History
Frank Willis, Sr.
(January 23, 1842 - August 5, 1894) First judge of the 35th District, then comprising entire Panhandle. Born in Indiana, he came to Texas in search of new horizons. As judge, from 1881 to 1890, his honesty, keen wit, and ample figure inspired many anecdotes. His two sons, Newton and Frank, Jr., also became judges. (1968)
Architecture
Frye-Puryear Home
Built 1884. Native stone, windows and lumber hauled 200 miles south from Dodge City, by Henry Frye, 1877 settler who had bought land of buffalo hunter and dugout dweller Dick Bussell. Had first wood floors in county. Mail came out from Mobeetie to Frye Post Office here, 1897-1909. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Greer County, Texas
(To the east, in present Oklahoma) Created 1860; until 1896, one of largest counties in Texas. Organized at Old Mobeetie, northwest of here. In 1880s settlement was rapid; by 1892 nearly 2,500 pupils were in county's schools. A post office, jail and many houses were built, and over 60,000 cattle grazed the 3,480 square miles of the county's area.
History
Mobeetie (Ghost Town)
Oldest town in Texas Panhandle. Originally a trading post, 2 mi. south, 1874; moved nearer to Fort Elliott, 1875. Earlier called Sweetwater, was renamed in 1879. Courthouse was completed by Mark Huselby, first county tax assessor, and other citizens. Popular with hunters, cowboys, gamblers - town in1881 became judicial center of 35th District.
History
Mobeetie Cemetery
Mobeetie Cemetery is the first known established cemetery in the Texas Panhandle. It was born of necessity, established as a final resting place for those whose journey ended in Mobeetie, which evolved from an 1875 hunter's camp and nearby army post. Over the course of time, some of the grave markers have been destroyed by both tornadoes and natural decay.
History
Mobeetie Post Office
Early mail service in Wheeler County was established at Fort Elliott. In 1879, a U.S. post office opened in the town of Mobeetie, previously known as Sweetwater. George A. Montgomery served as the first postmaster. In 1928, after the town moved one-mile north to this present site on the Santa Fe railroad line, a new post office was built.
History
Old Pakan School
Named for Sam Pakan, Sr., (1875-1929), Slovak emigrant. Success in Chicago enabled him to buy land here, 1904. Ten other Slovak families joined him and pooled funds to build first school, 1907. Some old settlers remaining include Linkeys, Mertels, Pakans, Macinas, Hrnciars, Smiths and Cadras. (1967)
Architecture
Old Rock House
First substantial home in Wheeler County, built across creek from Hidetown, buffalo hunters' post, about 1875 for first sheriff Henry Fleming. Rock quarried nearby. Ell of four 14 foot square rooms. Was considered a mansion. Served the county until a courthouse could be built. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
History
Old Wheeler County Jail, 1886
First jail in Panhandle of Texas. Central holding place for badmen. Built at cost of $18,500, including $1200 for a hangman's device put in to meet state requirement. Stone quarried on farm of Emanuel Dubbs, first county judge. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
History
Rock Barn
Built 1891 by F. M. Patton, a rancher; native stone with cottonwood framing. Part of lumber came from abandoned Fort Elliott. Barn was one of first in county; used to store prairie hay, alfalfa. W. G. Stiles family, owners, purchased ranch in 1901. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
History
Shamrock Water Tower
Soon after residents voted to incorporate in March 1911, Shamrock officials identified the need for a reliable waterworks for the city. Prior to that time, citizens got their water from one of two town wells or hauled it to town in barrels on wagons.
History
Shamrock's St. Patrick's Day Celebration
Early area settler George Nickel and his wife, Dora (Haggard), raised their family in a dugout home in Wheeler County. For his Irish heritage and for its symbolism of luck and courage, George suggested 'Shamrock' for a post office approved for their home in 1890. The name was retained when the town of Shamrock was platted along the Rock Island Railroad built through the county in 1902.
History
Site of Fort Elliott
Established June 5, 1875. One of the last forts established in Texas for purpose of clearing the region of Indians. Around it Mobeetie, rendezvous of buffalo hunters and traders, grew up. The post was abandoned in 1889. Erected by the State of Texas 1936
History
Temple Lea Houston
(August 12, 1860 - August 15, 1905) Brilliant attorney and state senator from this county, 1885-1887. Son of Texas hero Sam Houston. Old courthouse where he practiced law and his home were both near here. He gave dedicatory speech for Texas Capitol in 1888. Married Laura Cross in 1882; they had three sons. (1968)
History
The Millie Porter House
Built 1914 by Mr. & Mrs. J. M. Porter, pioneer settlers; Porter, an ex-cowboy, ranched near here after marrying Millie, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. J. R. Jones, 1886 settlers in Mobeetie area. Millie (1877-1957) as a child helped herd sheep; she attended Fort Worth University as a girl, University of Oklahoma at 70.
Architecture
Tower Building
The distinctive Tower Building was one of many commercial structures erected in the early 1930s along new U.S. Route 66. Designed by Pampa architect, J. C. Berry, the structure was built by local entrepreneur, J. M. Tindall in 1936.
History
Wheeler County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories. Created August 21, 1876. Organized April 12, 1879. Named in honor of Royal T. Wheeler (1810-1864). Associate justice of the Supreme Court of Texas, 1844-1858. Chief Justice, 1858-1864. County Seat, Mobeetie, 1879-1906. Wheeler, since.